My third Omega ! De Ville 1968

A place to show and discuss your vintage watches
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

My third Omega ! De Ville 1968

Post by MiniMpi »

Whilst on holiday in Venice I visited a great vintage watch shop that has been there for generations, Frollo.
Nice variety of watches including two Rolex Explorer 2's and some gorgeous vintage Omega.
Lovely pie pan dial one caught my eye but sadly not my wallet but it was great to see and handle it.

As we were about to leave Venice, I went on eBay and looked up my usual listings for vintage Omega and spotted a lovely De Ville in Germany.
This is ideal as it's EU there would be no duties etc to myself in Ireland.
The auction would finish whilst I was on the plane home so I wouldn't know if I won it or not till I landed.

I arrived in Dublin airport before 11pm and was not looking forward to the 2.5 hour drive home to Cork.
I turned back on my phone and lots of bells went off, I Won it ! :D

It's a 1968 Omega De Ville, reference 166.029
Gold plated, which is worn but I like the patina look.
565 automatic movement with 24 jewels.
Running very well and importantly an original dial that is in superb condition 8)
34mm which as some of you know is well outside my comfort zone but as it's vintage I'll allow it ;)

It was running about -14 or so but with a very good amplitude and next to no beat error.
After a tiny regulation it's now running about 0 to +1 a day dial up :thumbup: 8)

It came on a new brown padded strap which is incredibly uncomfortable so that came straight off it. It was also the wrong size, 18mm as it should be 19mm.
I 'borrowed' a black 19mm leather strap from one of Louise's CW ladies watches as most of them are also 19mm.

There is a very nice and special strap being made currently for the watch though :thumbup:

Here it is :

These users thanked the author MiniMpi for the post (total 9):
ThegreymanChris375Trs1982Gar787Bidentrichtelajax87jkbarneskiter65
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: My third Omega ! De Ville 1968

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

:thumbup: That is one classy watch, Ferg. What a great memory of Venice!
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
MiniMpi
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Ruddy gorgeous. Your collection is maturing in such a nice way.
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post:
MiniMpi
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Well that's very lovely- and regulated yourself must be so satisfying. The dial is really very special :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
MiniMpi
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

That’s a great watch Ferg. I must say you’re a braver man than me buying a vintage watch from eBay, unless it was from a reputable dealer.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sinner777 »

Great choice.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

iain wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:03 am That’s a great watch Ferg. I must say you’re a braver man than me buying a vintage watch from eBay, unless it was from a reputable dealer.
A private seller, but I 'bought' the seller and had a good feeling about it.
Certainly a chance but it worked out :thumbup:
These users thanked the author MiniMpi for the post:
iain
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

I noticed some days ago that there was some foreign body loose around the dial on my newly acquired Vintage Omega De Ville.
It was there and then it was gone and it would reappear in a different part of the dial a few days later.
It was bugging me and also I was worried that it would stop the hands or go into the date mechanism etc.

So......... I did some research, as CW are always telling us to do.......!
I set about removing the movement from the case, something I have never done even on a quartz watch :shock:

I removed the crown and the two movement clamps and screws and out it came.
The foreign body was there sitting on the inside of the crystal. Potentially it might be a piece of a lume from one of the indices but I'm unsure.
There were also some dust particles etc on the dial, tiny but there.
Very very carefully I very lightly just moved a clean watch cloth over the dial, avoiding any contact with the hands etc and then gave the inside of the crystal a good clean also.
I blew some air lightly on the dial and inside of the crystal again before reassembly and did a quick check and then popped the crown in 50% of the way and then set about reattaching the movement clamps and the incredibly tiny screws which took some time.
Once done I reattached the crown correctly and checked it all over again and checked the full workings of the crown including the quick set date.

All good :D

I've ordered some polywatch to take away some light scratches on the outside of the crystal but in fairness it's in good order anyway.

Delighted I did it myself and that I took my time, did my research and did it correctly.

These users thanked the author MiniMpi for the post (total 5):
welshladmissFiainBahnstormer_vRSjkbarnes
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

MiniMpi wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:23 pm I noticed some days ago that there was some foreign body loose around the dial on my newly acquired Vintage Omega De Ville.
It was there and then it was gone and it would reappear in a different part of the dial a few days later.
It was bugging me and also I was worried that it would stop the hands or go into the date mechanism etc.

So......... I did some research, as CW are always telling us to do.......!
I set about removing the movement from the case, something I have never done even on a quartz watch :shock:

I removed the crown and the two movement clamps and screws and out it came.
The foreign body was there sitting on the inside of the crystal. Potentially it might be a piece of a lume from one of the indices but I'm unsure.
There were also some dust particles etc on the dial, tiny but there.
Very very carefully I very lightly just moved a clean watch cloth over the dial, avoiding any contact with the hands etc and then gave the inside of the crystal a good clean also.
I blew some air lightly on the dial and inside of the crystal again before reassembly and did a quick check and then popped the crown in 50% of the way and then set about reattaching the movement clamps and the incredibly tiny screws which took some time.
Once done I reattached the crown correctly and checked it all over again and checked the full workings of the crown including the quick set date.

All good :D

I've ordered some polywatch to take away some light scratches on the outside of the crystal but in fairness it's in good order anyway.

Delighted I did it myself and that I took my time, did my research and did it correctly.

Time to get a few blocks of Rodico! Perfect for that kind of work. Well done! :thumbup:
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
MiniMpi
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

@rkovars Cheers buddy.
Yes I'll have to invest in some stuff for sure :thumbup:
rkovars
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

grats! my 1969 deville says "hi."

These users thanked the author gwells for the post (total 2):
MiniMpiasqwerth
the "g" is for Greg...
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

@gwells That is gorgeous !! 8)
gwells
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

thanks! 45 years of wabi created by my grandfather, then my father. it was my grandfather's retirement watch and it was a daily wearer for both of them.
These users thanked the author gwells for the post:
jkbarnes
the "g" is for Greg...
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

gwells wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:02 pm thanks! 45 years of wabi created by my grandfather, then my father. it was my grandfather's retirement watch and it was a daily wearer for both of them.
That's such a fantastic story to have !
A keeper for sure my friend :thumbup:
gwells
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Congratulations, Ferg! That’s a beautiful watch.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
MiniMpi
Drew