Re-commissioned Pocket Watches..... Angels or Devils.

A place to show and discuss your vintage watches
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

So....... At the risk of inciting violence from Steve and the other vintage nuts.....

For a while, I have been looking for "another" watch. I have enough divers, modern watches etc and have been looking for something a bit different/dressy/vintagy.

The trouble is, many of those looked at are either too small, too jelly mould or so expensive that I would probably sell some of mine to assist the funding. (Haven't yet worked out how to do this!)

There is another option though......

Large, vintage and dressy.

The converted pocket watch.

Basically, take an old pocket watch, normally from a well known manufacturer, and pop the innards into a wristwatch case.

Due to the size of the dial and movement, the case size is normally about 45mm plus, and the cost is normally about 600-700 quid. They do have the vintage look down pat, as they are actually vintage!

Is taking a vintage pocket watch and **** it into a wristwatch a step too far?

I would be interested to hear your thoughts as I think it could be rather a fun way to collect for me!

I know that many will be horrified, so apologies! :)

Some examples that I have looked at.

Be gentle!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Re-commissioned Pocket Watches..... Angels or Devils.

Post by Thegreyman »

Why not, the ones in the photos look really good.

I've got a pocket watch that I was given for my 30th birthday from my mother that I have never used (mum to wife: "I was thinking of buying Patrick a pocket watch for his birthday", wife: "mmm...I don't think he would use a pocket watch"...some weeks later...Patrick: "mum, thanks for the lovely pocket watch" :shock: :shock:)

Better to be turned into something that will be used, a kind of recycling. I'm all for that :thumbup:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

There is a US based company named Vortic that offers quite a selection of this type of watch.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
james80
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by james80 »

I really like the longines with the seconds at 6 and the black omega. Can you try one? I know you have big wrists but they are all dial and quite thick (I'd think) so may be too much?
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by tempusmaximus »

"Marriage watches".
Bernie
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

tempusmaximus wrote:"Marriage watches".
You beat me to it Bernie....

Nick, google marriage watches and you'll get a lot of info on their history. Personally, I'm in favour of them, almost bought one on several occasions, however there are some that are misrepresented as the genuine thing (case and all) to the less knowledgable (or perhaps just gullible) - prices for those can be through the roof.

Size-wise I would think they'd be right up your street Nick. Find one you like the look of and try it. One thing to check though, many of these marriage watches are fitted with easily scratchable mineral crystals. Look for one with a sapphire crystal if you want to keep it looking good.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Generally speaking I am against marriage watches. That being said, there are now so many orphaned movements due to precious metal cases being melted down, this does provide a way for the movements to live on. As long as everything is up front and stated clearly, I think it is ok to use the orphaned movements this way.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

Kip wrote:
Generally speaking I am against marriage watches. That being said, there are now so many orphaned movements due to precious metal cases being melted down, this does provide a way for the movements to live on. As long as everything is up front and stated clearly, I think it is ok to use the orphaned movements this way.

I agree Kip , buyers need to be aware of the franken watches , or the Ukrainian specials has i call them !

These watches will have non authentic dials and hands . In some cases the movements are engraved or Skeletized and are not in the original state .

I also think any purchaser should take into account , that these movements don't normally have any shock resistance , so any sudden knocks or minor impacts could damage the movement.
Bernie
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Kip wrote:
Seems to be a bit of a minefield!

Maybe it isn't such a good idea after all.
tempusmaximus wrote:
Kip wrote:

I agree Kip , buyers need to be aware of the franken watches , or the Ukrainian specials has i call them !

These watches will have non authentic dials and hands . In some cases the movements are engraved or Skeletized and are not in the original state .

I also think any purchaser should take into account , that these movements don't normally have any shock resistance , so any sudden knocks or minor impacts could damage the movement.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

I like the idea of pocket watches being repurposed as a wrist watch but would echo comments about the need to be wary of what is being presented as original dial, movement, etc in a modern case, particularly those pieces that claim to be Omega, IWC and the like. As for the lack of shock resistance in early movements, this is something to be aware of for sure. I have a 50 year old movement in one of my Panerai homages so I don't wear it when I know I am going to be engaging in activities that come with a high shock risk.
Stuart1
Senior
Senior

Post by Stuart1 »

I tend to go with that we could keep things as original as possible. In my collection I have both watches and pocket watches. Two of the watches have the Unitas 6498 movement and one of the pocket watches has the Unitas 6445 in. All are good at their purpose. How many good pocket watches have been lost by conversions? Probably the only way I could afford a Patek would be down the pocket watch route.
UncleDicky
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by UncleDicky »

of course the earliest (but not the first) wrist watches were pocket watches. The 'trench' watch was typically a pocket watch with lugs brazed to the case but due to the position of the crown on many pocket watches (hunters and half hunters often being the exception) the lugs were often mounted at 3 and 9.

I wouldn't have too much concern about the toughness of the movements. Early 20th C movements in pocket watches are pretty tough. You wouldn't be able to use a Verge Fusee due to the depth of the case required by the Fusee chain escapement - it would sit out at 25mm!

The best watches to do this with would be a solid Hamilton, Elgin or Waltham Railway watch - why? because thy are tough as old boots, widely available and unlike many of the watches at the time, had cases specifically made for the movements in the same factories whereas a lot of the 'brand' manufacturers who have a reputation for making fine watches these days - were cased by jewellers and also the reputation for quality that such brands enjoy today is not necessarily applicable to their earlier pocket watches. late 19th C I would not dismiss American watches for their quality, toughness or timekeeping.
C9 Marine Chronometer Small Seconds, C8 Mk2 Aviator, C600 Trident Pro; Lum-Tec Combat B19, Elliot Brown Canford, Smiths Everest, Casio Protrek.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

go for it Smegwina, beats looking at the same old boring stuff around here everyday.

Buy right.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

smegwina wrote:So....... At the risk of inciting violence from Steve and the other vintage nuts...
I intended to reply to this first time around but forgot – I was a bit preoccupied with family matters.

So…the violence!

Scenario 1: Old pocket watch movement remains in old pocket watch case or in a box gathering dust and grime after the case is scrapped.

Scenario 2: Old pocket watch movement (and dial) gets a refurb, is put into a large wrist watch case and acquires a new lease of life on some great lunk of a wrist, happily doing what it was made to do!

Sorry, what was the question again? :D

Go for it, Nick – it will solve your problem of wanting a vintage watch but finding them too small for you. Good luck.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

Dancematt wrote:Buy right.
Wise words .
Bernie