Tribus Watches

A place to discuss other watch-brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Tribus Watches

Post by JAFO »

Just to confirm. I got an email the same as @NationOfLaws, but that was all.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

NationOfLaws wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:14 pm Is “thank you for your custom” a Britishism I’m not familiar with?
I wouldn’t have thought so, I don’t see it as a slang term or a Britishism and just a normal turn of phrase.

A customer provides custom to a shop or business.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

iain wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:08 pm
NationOfLaws wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:14 pm Is “thank you for your custom” a Britishism I’m not familiar with?
I wouldn’t have thought so, I don’t see it as a slang term or a Britishism and just a normal turn of phrase.

It’s the first I’ve heard it, but it makes sense.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
iain
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

Caller wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:55 pm Excuse my ignorance, as I stopped following Co. Hse events a while back. But is this the old company or the new company?
The new one. Same result it would appear.
These users thanked the author FloridaPhil for the post:
Caller
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I think the changeover from old Tribus to new Tribus gave them a way to convert their remaining stocks into cash. The stocks would otherwise have had much less value. I would have thought there was overall benefit to quite a few people, not least customers who were able to buy inexpensive watches, albeit decried by some. Maybe it cost Mr C Ward personally to make that deal happen, and release the stock of watches they were able to liquidate ay big discounts. That's not a bad more to engender some goodwill.

On that basis maybe the message @GolfJunky shared might mean a future venture will still be received relatively well by customers, if not all the suppliers. Suppliers generally take a hit when a manufacturer goes bust, and I am sure there's generally an acceptance in any trade that might happen. Given the losses associated with the Liverpool contract it was hard to see any other outcome. I doubt the new company is insolvent though, and maybe Tribus will try again, hopefully with a different business model that works better. :D

Finally, maybe the somewhat curt "thank you for your custom" final message may have been phrased better.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
Stif
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

iain wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:08 pm

It's a Britishism. Or at least it's not a Canadian/Americanism. Here we would say "Thank you for being a customer" or "Thanks for your purchase". In North America customers are not referred to as "providing custom", although it makes perfect sense.
These users thanked the author Lavaine for the post:
iain
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Aladave

Post by Aladave »

NationOfLaws wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:14 pm EEC8AF12-1B57-471B-8762-35876A446BF0.pngIs “thank you for your custom” a Britishism I’m not familiar with?
“Custom” is not used in the American understanding of the word here. Yes, we have customers. And customs as in the inspection of imports. Or as a synonym for tradition or something normally done. But “custom” is not used in American English as a word for business. An American company would say “thank you for your business” or “support”. So, those of us across the Atlantic are understandably confused by that use of the word.
Aladave

Post by Aladave »

Aladave wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:20 am
NationOfLaws wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:14 pm EEC8AF12-1B57-471B-8762-35876A446BF0.pngIs “thank you for your custom” a Britishism I’m not familiar with?
“Custom” is not used in the American understanding of the word here. Yes, we have customers. And customs as in the inspection of imports. Or as a synonym for tradition or something normally done. But “custom” is not used in American English as a word for business. An American company would say “thank you for your business” or “support”. So, those of us across the Atlantic are understandably confused by that use of the word.
Let me add - “custom” also very commonly in the USA means something made specifically made to your specifications. So, a one of a kind thing specifically made for you. It never means thank you for doing business with us. As Shaw said, we’re “two countries separated by a common language”.
alansmithee

Post by alansmithee »

Aladave wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:01 am

Let me add - “custom” also very commonly in the USA means something made specifically made to your specifications. So, a one of a kind thing specifically made for you.
It's used that way in the UK as well.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I think the changeover from old Tribus to new Tribus gave them a way to convert their remaining stocks into cash.
I expect that the old company could have sold the watches at a huge discount just as easily as the new - though that would only have benefited the creditors rather than the owners.

When companies do this folding then re-starting with a similar name in the same line of business it's usually a way to swerve their creditors. The new company being a totally separate legal entity, they have no legal responsibility for the debts of the previous company.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Stif »

I thought setting up the new company was the only way they could untie their hands from the Liverpool deal to get access to the stock, which was being held by the manufacturer? (I may have completely misunderstood)

By doing that they were able to go through with the fire sale(s) to recoup enough to hopefully keep them going - I wonder if they're now in a position where either they're on bad terms with some suppliers or they just don't have the right ideas or capital to move forward?

It can't help that this whole situation has left the brand name tarnished.

Still, as I've said before I'm very happy with both the watches I got from Tribus - I'd have loved to see them pull something back.
These users thanked the author Stif for the post:
JAFO
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

Every use of the word 'custom' explained here.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... ish/custom

It would have been kinder for them to have said, 'we thank you for your custom'. 'We' makes it more heartfelt.
'Tis me
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Well, it now says "thank you for your support"
They must read stuff. Our stuff, even. :D
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Sorry to see this chapter of Tribus close. The Tribus watches I own are quite appealing to me, and run without issues. I’m interested in what Chris Ward, the man, and his sons do next in the watch space.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
Gar787
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

It was always going to end this way; poor timing, lacklustre and limited product range, exorbitant prices relative to the established microbrands.

I hope Chris and his boys haven't lost too much of what was invested, and look forward to seeing what comes next (if anything).
These users thanked the author jtc for the post (total 2):
FloridaPhilMolan
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex