An interactive guide to how a mechanical watch works

General watch information including stories of movement and brand development, service information and watch/movement evolution.
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

An interactive guide to how a mechanical watch works

Post by timor54 »

I picked this up from another forum and thought it well worth sharing here. There are innumerable resources that explain how a mechanical works, some good, some bad and some totally unintelligible.

This Interactive Guide to Mechanical Watches is something else altogether. The interactive graphics alone are mind boggling beautiful!

But just be warned, if you're even vaguely mechanically curious you can loose yourself in it for hours.
These users thanked the author timor54 for the post (total 7):
suicidal_orangeMiniMpiSoporscheKipasqwerththomcat00Wis
Tim
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: An interactive guide to how a mechanical watch works

Post by TheBeatles »

Just had a quick look.

In a word - fascinating

Thanks for sharing, I’ll enjoy a more in-depth run through later.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thanks, Tim. That does look an excellent explanation! To be taken in instalments, I think.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

Just read to the end of the time section, it's scary how easy to understand this makes it and I'm in awe of the 3D modelled graphics. Too many terms to remember everything in one read through but definitely worth a second :thumbup:
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by RichM »

That's amazing! Thanks for the link.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I haven’t read it yet. My son-in-law sent me the link yesterday.

He isn’t particularly interested in watches (Occasionally wears a Nomos Tangente, wears an F91-W for climbing training and no watch the rest of the time), so no idea how he came across it.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Ah, that’s a beautiful thing. I’ve scrolled through this for now, but it’s such a skill and art to be able to explain something as well as this.
Thanks for posting!
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Absolutely fascinating! The author broke it down so easily and clearly, it’s impossible not to follow it. I’m even more impressed with the beauty and mechanics of a mechanical watch now.
Drew
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I skimmed through the page, and it looks like and excellent resource. I'm going to have to set aside a couple of hours to go through it carefully.

My favourite "how watches work" resource has always been this 1949 video from Hamilton. Somehow, despite being more than 70 years old, it's still one of the best simple explanations of how the mechanics work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL0_vOw6eCc
These users thanked the author Lavaine for the post:
thomcat00
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Educational and entertaining at the same time! Very well done, thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
wookiechew23
Senior
Senior

Post by wookiechew23 »

Thank you for sharing! A very interesting and understandable explanation of a topic near and dear to all of us.
Arun

C63 Sealander GMT, C63 Sapphire GMT COSC LE, C1 Bel Canto, C12 Twelve Ti
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

In my opinion, this presentation is brilliant. I do not think the movement can be shown in a more simplified manner. The author is clear and concise. The visuals and the interactive ability are perfect. If anyone wants to get an understanding of how a watch works, this is a go to place.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

It's clear, but as you go through it, it gets more and more complicated. I think you would need a lot of time assembling and disassembling watches to really understand.

Then I recall instructional videos by Mark Lovick (I think) demonstrating how to repair a bent spring, or showing how to trim a crown stem to size, or resize certain parts, and you realise how very difficult it all is. The nekkid watchmaker had a video where he nonchalantly created a few slotted screws from a small rod of steel, as it it was the simplest thing in the world.

I think it would be good to have a mechanical wall clock with larger parts that you could use to practice. Either that or a 5 year apprenticeship. :D

I actually have enough trouble changing watch straps, and opening cases to replace batteries.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JAFO wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:15 am and you realise how very difficult it all is.
If I watch an explanation and think to myself, “I could do that,” I take it as a sign of how excellent the explanation is and how much of an expert the presenter is. I once almost bought plans for building an armoire from a show called “New Yankee Workshop” on PBS because the host, Norm Abrams, made it look so easy, I legitimately thought I could build it!

This break down of a watch had me thinking I could disassemble one myself! 😂😂😂

By the way, did anyone look at this guy’s other posts? It’s amazing stuff. He’s got a post explaining a tesseract and how to visualize four dimensions in our three dimensional space - amazing!
Drew