Customs Tax Hold

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Customs Tax Hold

Post by redmonaco »

MichaelMD wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:32 pm Don't wait long to get the fee done and paid. If you let it slide a few days DHL will charge you storage fees which can be more than the taxes due. Call DHL directly and work it out with them.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
Don't see how they can Charge storage fees, you have no contract with them to do so???
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by MichaelMD »

redmonaco wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:25 pm
MichaelMD wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:32 pm Don't wait long to get the fee done and paid. If you let it slide a few days DHL will charge you storage fees which can be more than the taxes due. Call DHL directly and work it out with them.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
Don't see how they can Charge storage fees, you have no contract with them to do so???
The storage fees occur when there is a delay in getting the declared value information from you or CW. So if you take like 3 or 4 days to return that watch value worksheet they automatically apply the fee because they are holding the shipment for you while waiting.

This is how DHL describes it:
Bonded Storage − If a shipment is registered into bond and subsequently held for more than three calendar days following the arrival date in a bonded DHL or non-DHL facility, either when awaiting documentation from the receiver or importer, or when clearance has been assigned to a third party broker
Dynamite_Kid19
Expert
Expert

Post by Dynamite_Kid19 »

I didn't have to do any of the work on mine. They told me a price pretty quickly and I paid it so they must have got a hold of CW easily.

When I had to pay customs fees with a different watch purchase the company sent the value sheet with the watches but FedEx actually took longer to process than DHL.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MichaelMD »

Dynamite_Kid19 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:07 pm I didn't have to do any of the work on mine. They told me a price pretty quickly and I paid it so they must have got a hold of CW easily.

When I had to pay customs fees with a different watch purchase the company sent the value sheet with the watches but FedEx actually took longer to process than DHL.

I wound up completing the watch worksheet myself based on percentage breakdowns I found on the internet. I returned it right away and no issues with customs. Saved a few dollars as well. I guess they way I broke it down worked in my favor, although that wasn't my goal.
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Customs Tax Hold

Post by Robotaz »

MichaelMD wrote:
Dynamite_Kid19 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:07 pm I didn't have to do any of the work on mine. They told me a price pretty quickly and I paid it so they must have got a hold of CW easily.

I wound up completing the watch worksheet myself based on percentage breakdowns I found on the internet. I returned it right away and no issues with customs. Saved a few dollars as well. I guess they way I broke it down worked in my favor, although that wasn't my goal.
What’s funny is that in my case, CW had broken it down somehow on their own submitted worksheet, but DHL refused to proceed until someone wrote down the exact same info on a DHL worksheet. So they literally told me what to write on the worksheet, I drove across town to print it and fill it out, scanned it back to me and emailed it to DHL. Then two more people emailed me asking me to fill out the worksheet I supplied to them already. It took multiple more calls and emails before the form was uploaded. Then the process of more emails and phone calls over the fees started.

I don’t know what led to the worksheet debacle, but I suspect CW assumes giving DHL the info that goes on the worksheet, apparently in their own format, fulfills the worksheet deliverable. I don’t know if CW has figured out DHL requires their own worksheet or not. Maybe I’m wrong.

I’ve never seen anything like DHL. Their US operation is pitiful.
Dynamite_Kid19
Expert
Expert

Post by Dynamite_Kid19 »

Robotaz wrote:
MichaelMD wrote:

What’s funny is that in my case, CW had broken it down somehow on their own submitted worksheet, but DHL refused to proceed until someone wrote down the exact same info on a DHL worksheet. So they literally told me what to write on the worksheet, I drove across town to print it and fill it out, scanned it back to me and emailed it to DHL. Then two more people emailed me asking me to fill out the worksheet I supplied to them already. It took multiple more calls and emails before the form was uploaded. Then the process of more emails and phone calls over the fees started.

I don’t know what led to the worksheet debacle, but I suspect CW assumes giving DHL the info that goes on the worksheet, apparently in their own format, fulfills the worksheet deliverable. I don’t know if CW has figured out DHL requires their own worksheet or not. Maybe I’m wrong.

I’ve never seen anything like DHL. Their US operation is pitiful.
Seems like it depends on who at DHL you get because mine wasn't any of that wildness luckily.

Lu..
Senior
Senior

Post by Lu.. »

this is so excruciating....got a text message this morning from DHL that my watch would be delivered at the end of today......at the end of today the tracking status updated with "due to the adverse weather conditions, the shipment could not be delivered"...

the saga continues tomorrow.....
Ω Moonwatch 3861 Sapphire ... Bulova "Mickey Mouse" ... C.Ward C65 Trident ... Movado Esperanza Museum ... Longines Model 2133
Dynamite_Kid19
Expert
Expert

Post by Dynamite_Kid19 »

Lu.. wrote:this is so excruciating....got a text message this morning from DHL that my watch would be delivered at the end of today......at the end of today the tracking status updated with "due to the adverse weather conditions, the shipment could not be delivered"...

The only saving grace is the watch is worth it.

Lu..
Senior
Senior

Post by Lu.. »

Dynamite_Kid19 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:59 pm
Lu.. wrote:this is so excruciating....got a text message this morning from DHL that my watch would be delivered at the end of today......at the end of today the tracking status updated with "due to the adverse weather conditions, the shipment could not be delivered"...

you are right....the wait was worth it.....
IMG_6946.jpg
Ω Moonwatch 3861 Sapphire ... Bulova "Mickey Mouse" ... C.Ward C65 Trident ... Movado Esperanza Museum ... Longines Model 2133
Dynamite_Kid19
Expert
Expert

Post by Dynamite_Kid19 »

Lu.. wrote:
Dynamite_Kid19 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:59 pm

you are right....the wait was worth it.....
IMG_6946.jpg
Congrats! And it came with a puppy!

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Looks great! I’m glad things worked out.
Drew