Interesting Dilemma - All In or Fold

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Interesting Dilemma - All In or Fold

Post by TheBeatles »

Interesting dilemma, would you go all-in or fold.

I have 4 that I couldn’t ever let go so would have to fold.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/would-y ... gle-grail/
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Interesting Dilemma - All In or Fold

Post by JAFO »

You have to consider the betting, when you made your quads, and when he might have made his SF
And I think maybe you fold because you don't have the nuts, and his river bet was sized just right.

Well maybe sized right if he didn't have the nuts, and wanted you to fold
But maybe not right, if he had the nuts and wanted you to call

Tough game poker, on that final table.
"Pay the man his money" says TeddyKGB :D
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

That's an interesting read and dilemma!

From my perspective, I'd fold and "continue to enjoy what took me years to curate".

However, I have often thought about selling the majority of my collection to get a dream car which would give me just as much satisfaction and enjoyment.
My dilemma would be if he'd thrown in the keys to an Aston Martin DB5 :-k
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I read the article more closely. In the article he says this
Then again, this is the hand of a lifetime. You study the opponent and ascertain that they’re trying to buy themselves out of a bluff. Is it time to match the bet or fold while you still can?
If you are getting odds to call, and still fold, he's pwned you. You shouldn't be playing with big boys. I was in the minority though. The voting was 2 to 1 for folding.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

That’s easy - I fold, for a few reasons. Firstly, as modest as my collection is, the memories attached to the important pieces make them invaluable and unreplaceable (<— spelling?). To give those up in pursuit of a grail makes me incredibly shallow.

Secondly, in my mind the essence of a grail is it’s unattainability. For me, the grail watch lives in the realm of folklore, shrouded by mist. It’s the unicorn, the dragon we’re always chasing. If you can get it, even in an all or nothing exchange, is it a grail? Not in my mind.

In that sense, I don’t have a grail watch. I might say the Reverso is my grail, but it’s truly not. It’s definitely attainable. I just refuse to spend that kind of money on a watch.

What makes this exercise interesting is the “all in” nature of it. I don’t doubt many of the collectors here would gladly flip a significant chunk of their collection to get the grail. But all of them? I have to think there are at least one or two pieces you might not part with. I might pose this question as it’s own thread: what piece would keep you from flipping your collection in an all or nothing pursuit of the grail?
Drew
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Great reply Andrew :thumbup:
jkbarnes wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:25 pm ....invaluable and unreplaceable (<— spelling?).
irreplaceable
jkbarnes wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:25 pm ...would gladly flip a significant chunk of their collection to get the grail.
Yes a significant chunk, but NOT all of them, albeit for a car (Aston Martin DB5/Aston Martin DBS)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

In the specific situation outlined - I would fold.

If someone offered me a straight swap of my entire collection for a single watch worth 7.833 more than the collection - I would accept.

I would then sell the single watch, hunt around and buy back about 12 of the collection. Give some money to each of our daughters. Allocate some of the proceeds to buy another couple of watches that are more expensive than I would otherwise have purchased. Invest half the remaining balance, allocate what’s left to frivolous holiday expenditure.

Now back to reality!

Would I ditch my entire collection for a supposed grail with a value equivalent to my collection? Absolutely not. I have zero interest in doing so.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Even if I did have an ‘expensive’ grail I’d get far more enjoyment, value and wearability out of having a small collection. I’m really not aspirational enough, in material terms, to crave one object that much
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

nbg wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:49 pm In the specific situation outlined - I would fold.

If someone offered me a straight swap of my entire collection for a single watch worth 7.833 more than the collection - I would accept.

I would then sell the single watch, hunt around and buy back about 12 of the collection. Give some money to each of our daughters. Allocate some of the proceeds to buy another couple of watches that are more expensive than I would otherwise have purchased. Invest half the remaining balance, allocate what’s left to frivolous holiday expenditure.

Now back to reality!

Would I ditch my entire collection for a supposed grail with a value equivalent to my collection? Absolutely not. I have zero interest in doing so.

Neil
That's a strategy I'd follow.

There's no way I'd swap my collection for a 'grail', as frankly, I don't think I have a 'grail', and I doubt I'd be satisfied with a single watch.
Richard
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

snipped
jkbarnes wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:25 pm For me, the grail watch lives in the realm of folklore, shrouded by mist. It’s the unicorn,
I'm pretty sure that you can get unicorn poo from China.....
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:25 pm That’s easy - I fold, for a few reasons. Firstly, as modest as my collection is, the memories attached to the important pieces make them invaluable and unreplaceable (<— spelling?). To give those up in pursuit of a grail makes me incredibly shallow.

Secondly, in my mind the essence of a grail is it’s unattainability. For me, the grail watch lives in the realm of folklore, shrouded by mist. It’s the unicorn, the dragon we’re always chasing. If you can get it, even in an all or nothing exchange, is it a grail? Not in my mind.

In that sense, I don’t have a grail watch. I might say the Reverso is my grail, but it’s truly not. It’s definitely attainable. I just refuse to spend that kind of money on a watch.

What makes this exercise interesting is the “all in” nature of it. I don’t doubt many of the collectors here would gladly flip a significant chunk of their collection to get the grail. But all of them? I have to think there are at least one or two pieces you might not part with. I might pose this question as it’s own thread: what piece would keep you from flipping your collection in an all or nothing pursuit of the grail?
It's good you named your grail, Andrew. (The reverso) Do you keep thinking to yourself. if only, could I, and so on, or have you settled that the price is indeed more than you could justify.

Now here's the thing. I just checked on Chrono24, to see the price out of interest, and they have a handful of these. One which caught my eye was "Jaeger-LeCoultre JLC - Reverso Classic Large" (is that quartz or mechanical). Showing as £4200 UK. You won't believe this, but it's brand new, 2021, in Oradell, VA. Never heard of Oradell, but I'm sure you have. I do admire Reverso's and if that particular model was the one for me.... well I just don't know. Sounds like fate! I look forward to seeing the pictures. :D

UK link.
https://www.chrono24.co.uk/jaegerlecoul ... 508702.htm

The only watch I couldn't part with is an omega geneve my wife bought me as an engagement gift over 40 years ago. And my speedy, which was my grail
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Hello there

I've not played poker for a while, but if you go all in and lose, then you lose your collection.
If you win you get the grail and keep your collection.
So selling up and getting the grail, doesn't fit the Poker analogy, IMHO.

If you consolidated, to achieve the grail, that's not a gamble. Just a very tough, sentimental decision.

But that said, I would gamble, look at my Username.
I only play with marked cards.

So if anyone finds themselves in this situation, give me a shout, for some tips.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JAFO wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:32 pm It's good you named your grail, Andrew. (The reverso) Do you keep thinking to yourself. if only, could I, and so on, or have you settled that the price is indeed more than you could justify.
Here’s the thing. That kind of money is well outside my operating budget. However, if I really wanted it, I could start setting money aside and make it happen. So a watch of that expense doesn’t normally fall within the purview of a high school teacher, but it’s not a financial impossibility.

The bigger issue for me is that personally, I don’t think I’d feel comfortable or right spending such a significant chunk of change on a watch, let alone wearing it on my wrist. For me, it would almost border on vulgar to wear such an expensive item on my wrist as a public school teacher. I have no problems walking into my public high school (remember, public school here is something different from public school in the UK!) with an $800 CW on my wrist. Now an $8,000 watch? I just wouldn’t feel right about that.

Please don’t get me wrong, I don’t judge anyone who does! I’ve got a friend with two Omegas and I gush over them every time I see him wearing them. No judgement from me towards anyone who chooses to wear expensive watches. I just don’t think I could feel comfortable with it for myself. If I won the lottery, I’m sure that would change!

Additionally, if I had (or was saving up) multiple thousands of dollars for a luxury purchase, I wouldn’t put it towards a watch. I’d rather spend that money on an amazing trip with my wife or put it towards a new Mazda MX-5 in much better condition than my current one. Part of the reason I love CW so much is that their price point falls right into the range I’m comfortable with, both in terms of spending and wearing.

So in short, my own hang ups about owning a high end luxury watch and my spending priorities render the question of a grail watch moot. Honestly I get great joy living vicariously through eveyone’s collections here on the forum!
Drew
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

No, defeats the objective to collect.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Looking at the responses, I think some have missed the point.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain