Bezel Insert

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
maniac_mike

Bezel Insert

Post by maniac_mike »

Is there any way to remove and adjust a bezel insert? Over the last few months, I noticed that my bezel isn't aligning correctly. I wear this watch every day and have banged it a few times. I can tell by comparing and counting the notches on the edge of the bezel and seeing where they sit in relation to the lugs (Super OCD, I know) . The bezel is sitting just a few millimeters to the left.
maniac_mike

Re: Bezel Insert

Post by maniac_mike »

Wow, what a lively and vibrant forum!
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

There isn't an official way to remove and realign a bezel insert. You would need to send it back to CW.

However, there are some unofficial ways of doing it, but there is risk of damage to the bezel. Is this a ceramic or aluminium bezel?
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
maniac_mike

Post by maniac_mike »

It is a ceramic bezel on a MK II C60 Trident Pro 600
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

Can you post a photo?
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

If I were in your shoes, I think I would speak to CW about it and then send it back for them to realign. But expect it to take several weeks given their current timescales.

But you could try it yourself if you're willing to take the risk and have some appropriate tools.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

I think CW would do this for you but as i recall will only be on a like for like basis ie not a different colour/model.
So as long as its just a fix or replacement, they can help.
I also dont know if they will supply a bezel for you to do yourself?!
This position may have changed so worth checking but was when I last read a thread on changing bezels.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Bounce
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Bounce »

I would be concerned removing a ceramic bezel myself, I would think they could be damaged quite easily.
Panerai Luminor GMT.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Tudor Pepsi GMT.
Tudor Harrods BB
Bremont ALT1 World Timer
C60 Trident MK3 GMT.
C60 Trident MK3 Tide.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Ceramic bezel inserts, while much, much harder wearing are also more fragile as in they break, not bend.

Back in they days when Omega used to sell spare parts quite freely, they would not sell ceramic bezels as they were too prone to breakage during removal and refitting (although they supplied them to affiliated watchmakers). A point to note is that Omega only sold complete bezels, not inserts, and they still considered them too fragile.

CW sell neither bezels, nor inserts, so if it breaks, the watch will need to go back to them for repair (or as I understand it, replacement).

Oris also take the view that if you break a ceramic bezel, you replace the entire case; CW are not alone in this.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by MarkingTime »

CW will replace bezels on a like for like basis, unless there is no stock of your particular bezel. What happens if there is no stock I don't know, as some watches won't look great with a different bezel colour. I would imagine the price to be in the region of £40 (as a rough guess).

In the case of Oris, certainly on the TT divers, the bezels are not removable, by all accounts, without damaging the case. I'm certainly not going to try and test that on my watch though.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

gaf1958 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:50 pm Oris also take the view that if you break a ceramic bezel, you replace the entire case; CW are not alone in this.
I found that a bit strange and different to what I'd heard, so I called Oris UK for clarity. Certainly don't want to be forking out for a new case/bezel/insert if I happened to damage the ceramic!

Not sure if the rules are different down under, but Oris UK will replace the ceramic insert only if it's damaged, without requiring a new bezel, let alone the case.
If the bezel is damaged, they replace the bezel/insert. Again, no new case required.

Thought it might be useful info to pass on for those with an Aquis :thumbup:
Ryan
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

^^^this is an excellent public service!
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

StrappedUp wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:39 am
gaf1958 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:50 pm Oris also take the view that if you break a ceramic bezel, you replace the entire case; CW are not alone in this.
I found that a bit strange and different to what I'd heard, so I called Oris UK for clarity. Certainly don't want to be forking out for a new case/bezel/insert if I happened to damage the ceramic!

Not sure if the rules are different down under, but Oris UK will replace the ceramic insert only if it's damaged, without requiring a new bezel, let alone the case.
If the bezel is damaged, they replace the bezel/insert. Again, no new case required.

Reassuring, but I don’t intend to damage mine :D
Tim
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

StrappedUp wrote:Not sure if the rules are different down under, but Oris UK will replace the ceramic insert only if it's damaged, without requiring a new bezel, let alone the case.

That’s interesting, as I contacted Oris (in Oz obviously) regarding an aluminium bezelled titanium TT1 diver (pre-Aquis) and was informed that the entire case would have to be replaced... maybe they’ve had a change of heart, or just different country, different rules. Or perhaps the person I contacted didn’t know what they were talking about... could be more likely I guess. Good to know in any case.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
jrpippen
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by jrpippen »

Would be great to source a trident mk1 bezel insert.

Anyone know how to get one?
If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.