Rotation time

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jesierras
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 8

Rotation time

Post by jesierras »

Maybe someone in the group can tell me this one, why does Christopher Ward change designs so much. You would think that some of the designs would always stay in the rotation with slight changes. I don’t understand it. I like new watches as much as the next guy but there are none that stay longer than 2 years. It’s kinda weird.
cw Bunches
OMEGA Speedmaster Professional MOTFM
Too Many now to count
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Rotation time

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

jesierras wrote:Maybe someone in the group can tell me this one, why does Christopher Ward change designs so much. You would think that some of the designs would always stay in the rotation with slight changes. I don’t understand it. I like new watches as much as the next guy but there are none that stay longer than 2 years. It’s kinda weird.
Two years only? Really? Would you like to give some examples?

I've taken one model semi-randomly, as I had the details from the CWArchive open in my browser from a search earlier this morning, the C11 MSL Automatic. Launched 2011/08 and retired 2015/06; that's 3 years 10 months.

C60 Trident Mk1? Launched 2009/09, retired 2014/12. 5 years 3 months.

Ok, there might be individual versions that are around for less time but that's the ebb and flow of marketing.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
jesierras
Senior
Senior

Post by jesierras »

Well Guy take a look at your watch list in your signature. How many of those watches can I purchase? Man now thinking about it, I can’t purchase any in my list. They are no longer in production
cw Bunches
Too Many now to count
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Examples of short model lives...

C5 Malvern 595. 20 months.

Clearly not a good seller. Probably down to the fact that dress watch junkies like me didn't buy it. I'm sorry it didn't work.

C65 Trident Diver (Hand Wound Model. 26 months.

I did buy one of those! So I'm less sorry in this case.

In general, though, a lot of models like the C60 Trident Pro get updates and facelifts, not to mention lots of colour variations.

But I think that in this sector of the market, things need to be kept fresh. There are big established houses that can keep pretty much the same models in the window for years or even decades in the knowledge that they will sell. There are a few small companies that have gone with a very limited range that doesn't change and have made it work. Others haven't.

Talking to key CW personnel such as Mike France and design chief Adrian Buchmann, they do have a very clear idea of what sells at the moment (and that has been changing appreciably during lockdowns), what might be going out of favour, and what might do well in the future. And, as with the 595 and the recent Black Sand, they have the sense to drop something that isn't working.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jesierras
Senior
Senior

Post by jesierras »

Steve that makes sense. I guess CW are straddling the line of micro and established. Too big to be a micro and not large enough to be an established. So hybrid marketing and design it is. Just looking at previous production watches have me drooling. I wish some would have stayed in n the collection.
cw Bunches
Too Many now to count
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I think it’s important to remember that at the end of the day it’s a business. Sales in one form or another drive the boat. So it only makes sense that some models will come and go.
Drew
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

jesierras wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:11 pm Just looking at previous production watches have me drooling. I wish some would have stayed in n the collection.
Part of the fun (for me at least) is tracking down old models that one would still like and finding a bargain as near pristine as possible! Some even come up in CW sales.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:00 pm Examples of short model lives...

C5 Malvern 595. 20 months.

Clearly not a good seller. Probably down to the fact that dress watch junkies like me didn't buy it. I'm sorry it didn't work.

C65 Trident Diver (Hand Wound Model. 26 months.

I did buy one of those! So I'm less sorry in this case.

In general, though, a lot of models like the C60 Trident Pro get updates and facelifts, not to mention lots of colour variations.

But I think that in this sector of the market, things need to be kept fresh. There are big established houses that can keep pretty much the same models in the window for years or even decades in the knowledge that they will sell. There are a few small companies that have gone with a very limited range that doesn't change and have made it work. Others haven't.

Talking to key CW personnel such as Mike France and design chief Adrian Buchmann, they do have a very clear idea of what sells at the moment (and that has been changing appreciably during lockdowns), what might be going out of favour, and what might do well in the future. And, as with the 595 and the recent Black Sand, they have the sense to drop something that isn't working.
Funny, I own both the 595 and the vintage diver hand winder in your examples.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I hear you on the different models and their shelf life. But CW has to keep things fresh to retain customer and attract new ones. My first CW I got only last year. I love it: C9 John Harrison GMT. Bought it used and have added a couple more CW’s since then. There are some older styles I’d like to hunt down. But as I lean toward dress watches, the rash of available divers doesn’t move me as much. As CW rotates through designs and styles they have to offer something people will buy. Not everyone is looking for a Model T.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair