MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Re: That super compressor

Post by MichaelMD »

ajax87 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:52 pm
MichaelMD wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:31 pm
That looks great and fits you just fine. Congrats on the pick up.

Do they still produce the black sand color on this watch? I only seem to be able to find the two blue versions of this reference. Really like this watch!
It’s really a good looking variant of the SC, but was selling very poorly. CW recently stopped manufacturing this variant and offloaded existing stock in the January sale, which is why we’re seeing so many of them now!
Thanks for the explanation. Wow that's hard to believe. Besides the fact that it looks great, blue watches are literally EVERYWHERE right now. It's refreshing to see a watch dial of this color. Maybe I'll pick one up secondhand down the road. Too bad I missed the sale :cry:
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

MichaelMD wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:57 pm
ajax87 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:52 pm
MichaelMD wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:31 pm
That looks great and fits you just fine. Congrats on the pick up.

Do they still produce the black sand color on this watch? I only seem to be able to find the two blue versions of this reference. Really like this watch!
It’s really a good looking variant of the SC, but was selling very poorly. CW recently stopped manufacturing this variant and offloaded existing stock in the January sale, which is why we’re seeing so many of them now!
Thanks for the explanation. Wow that's hard to believe. Besides the fact that it looks great, blue watches are literally EVERYWHERE right now. It's refreshing to see a watch dial of this color. Maybe I'll pick one up secondhand down the road. Too bad I missed the sale :cry:
No problem! Quite a few have been popping up on eBay if you desire. Some at the sale price, some higher and tagged “rare”...

I think another issue was that the initial run of these had the “super compressor” dial text slightly misaligned to the left. However that didn’t affect the ocean blue variant, so maybe not. Some of the sale watches had misaligned text, some had the corrected text apparently. FYI.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
andyh41

Post by andyh41 »

When it first came out I thought the blue looked amazing, but as I already have a blue C65 auto I figured I didn't need another similar colour in my limited collection. At £1000 it was also kind of out my reach. When I saw the black sand in the sale I thought i'd take a punt, and I'm so glad I did as it looks so good in the flesh - very photogenic.
IMG-2711.jpg
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Not only that. Yours is correctly centered. There's 4 letters either side of the depth rating.
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

andyh41 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:35 pm When it first came out I thought the blue looked amazing, but as I already have a blue C65 auto I figured I didn't need another similar colour in my limited collection. At £1000 it was also kind of out my reach. When I saw the black sand in the sale I thought i'd take a punt, and I'm so glad I did as it looks so good in the flesh - very photogenic.
I pretty much fell in love with the Black Sands when I saw it in the sale, but I had already bought a different model and didn't have any more "goodwill" to spend at home.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
sjbroadhead
Expert
Expert

Post by sjbroadhead »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

sjbroadhead wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:35 pm Image

Yep, that works for me. I love that you've lined the minute hand up with the orange line on the strap! :clap:
Ryan
nowttolose
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

That super compressor

Post by nowttolose »

StrappedUp wrote:
sjbroadhead wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:35 pm Image

Yep, that works for me. I love that you've lined the minute hand up with the orange line on the strap! :clap:
That a true OCD WIS!

Edit : hang on, you could have lined the orange minute marker at position 12 on the photo. You are not OCD enough.
Dave

C65 Super Compressor Black Sand
C60 Trident Pro 600 Mk3 38mm Black/Red
C60 Trident Pro 600 GMT Mk3 40mm Black
C65 Dartmouth Blue
Rolex Submariner 116610LN
sjbroadhead
Expert
Expert

Post by sjbroadhead »

Haha. Funnily enough it wasn’t deliberate and only realised when I’d looked again a while later.

Very pleased with this. Watchgecko. Under £20 posted and arrived next day also. Just don’t forget to buy some springbars like I did.

nowttolose
Senior
Senior

Post by nowttolose »

Well my super compressor is a bit sick. It was 30 minutes slow today. Put the watch to my ear and the rotor is rattling away. Not a feint noise but like someone is gently scraping the inside of a tin can as you move the watch back and forth. You can tell it is not right.

Any idea the time taken warranty repairs in Covid times?

My first CW watch so no that impressed that it has failed in the first couple of weeks of wear.
Dave

C65 Dartmouth Blue
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

nowttolose wrote:Well my super compressor is a bit sick. It was 30 minutes slow today. Put the watch to my ear and the rotor is rattling away. Not a feint noise but like someone is gently scraping the inside of a tin can as you move the watch back and forth. You can tell it is not right.

My first CW watch so no that impressed that it has failed in the first couple of weeks of wear.
Really sorry to hear this.

Normally a repair on this would be 8 - 12 weeks BUT the CW repair / service department is currently closed due to UK (England) national lockdown 3.0. Clearly I have no idea when lockdown will finish and the repair / service department will open up again.

My best advice is to shoot an email to CW, contact details via their website, and work from there. They'll probably ask you to send the watch in and then inspect it. Depending on which Super Compressor it is they might even just send you a replacement.

Good luck.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
nowttolose
Senior
Senior

Post by nowttolose »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
nowttolose wrote:Well my super compressor is a bit sick. It was 30 minutes slow today. Put the watch to my ear and the rotor is rattling away. Not a feint noise but like someone is gently scraping the inside of a tin can as you move the watch back and forth. You can tell it is not right.

Normally a repair on this would be 8 - 12 weeks BUT the CW repair / service department is currently closed due to UK (England) national lockdown 3.0. Clearly I have no idea when lockdown will finish and the repair / service department will open up again.

My best advice is to shoot an email to CW, contact details via their website, and work from there. They'll probably ask you to send the watch in and then inspect it. Depending on which Super Compressor it is they might even just send you a replacement.

Good luck.

Guy

Thanks. I’ll drop them an email. The timing has stabilised, but that noise is just not right. I’ll keep an eye on the timing over the next few days.

It the black sand version bought in the sale. Maybe I’ll ask them to replace the dial while it is back with them Image

I’ll keep the thread updated with how things go.
Dave

C65 Dartmouth Blue
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

nowttolose wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:47 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:

Good luck.

Guy

Thanks. I’ll drop them an email. The timing has stabilised, but that noise is just not right. I’ll keep an eye on the timing over the next few days.

It the black sand version bought in the sale. Maybe I’ll ask them to replace the dial while it is back with them Image

Obviously I'm in no position to judge your SC, but the rotor isn't quiet on these if mine is also anything to go by.
Certainly not at the level of say, a C60 with steel caseback.

I believe it's mainly to do with the glass front and back. Possibly the 2nd crown opening to some degree?
The rear crystal does very little to suppress internal noise compared to a steel back and the front sapphire is relatively large allowing more noise transmission.

My Alpina pilot with SW200 had a large dial/crystal and exhibition back, and that one was also "noisy".
Ryan
nowttolose
Senior
Senior

Post by nowttolose »

StrappedUp wrote:
nowttolose wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:47 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Really sorry to hear this.

Good luck.

Guy

Obviously I'm in no position to judge your SC, but the rotor isn't quiet on these if mine is also anything to go by.
Certainly not at the level of say, a C60 with steel caseback.

I believe it's mainly to do with the glass front and back. Possibly the 2nd crown opening to some degree?
The rear crystal does very little to suppress internal noise compared to a steel back and the front sapphire is relatively large allowing more noise transmission.

My Alpina pilot with SW200 had a large dial/crystal and exhibition back, and that one was also "noisy".
Fair enough, but mine is now rattling like a child’s toy. And it wasn’t when I bought it.

I can even hear the rattle without putting the watch to my ear. Something is not happy, and I suspect it has got no chance of making a 4 year service interval if there is metal to metal or metal to glass contact.
Dave

C65 Dartmouth Blue
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

30 minutes is pretty drastic too. Something is definitely not right. As disappointing as something like this can be, I wouldn't be too tough on CW just yet. Anything could have happened in transit. Give them a chance to sort it and keep in mind COVID has the gears really gummed up.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London