What's your favourite "Cuisine"?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Martin
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3

Re: What's your favourite "Cuisine"?

Post by Martin »

As a vegetarian who loves food I have to say the worst country for me is France. I accept they don’t ‘get’ vegetarianism so have given up completely on restaurants and now self cater. Great ingredients though!
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

I prefer English food, like pizza and Chinese.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Good question.

When I saw the thread yesterday, I thought that is a tough call, I will think on it.

I like cuisine from all over the world and concluded that I like more types and styles of food than I like different watch brands.

For me it is all down to the quality and treatment of the ingredients. Doesn’t have to be posh, but does need to be authentic.

I have never managed to answer the question on one favourite watch and find myself in a similar position here.

French, Italian or Spanish are my three favourites. I will stick with that as my answer.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Set meal B but with the crispy duck pancakes as the second course please :D
Cheers now, Paul
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Lavaine wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:42 am
scooter wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:34 pm British cuisine for me although Asda do a rather nice chicken tikka masala when I'm feeling adventurous.

scooter
I think you repeated yourself and said British food twice in that sentence. :lol:
I did wonder if anyone would notice that.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

Well, I live in Thailand so obviously Thai food is right up there. But as in many Countries, there are regional variations and it's funny to hear Thai's from the North East saying they can't eat Southern Thai food as it's too hot! I now really enjoy noodles for brekky and enjoy a good slurp as much as an English brekky, although normally, I start the day with my own muesli mix.

Miss F's post above made me smile, the heat and variety of Thai food here compared to the many bland offerings in a lot of Thai restaurants in the UK, is huge. Although I noticed before leaving to live here, that more places were asking if you would like it 'Thai style' or spicy'.

My favourite Thai foods are fairly simple - papaya salad, known as 'somtam' is my absolute favourite, usually shredded raw papaya with lime, tomato's, raw green beans and carrots, crunchy peanuts, dried tiny shrimps, all mixed with fish sauce and various amounts of chilli's to control the heat, I'm a two chilli man! But lots of toppings are available and probably the favourite is small black crabs which basically you suck everything out of. I mentioned noodles as a favourite to eat at any time of the day, and there is also catfish salad, where the catfish meat is minced and fried and served on a bed of raw cabage, somethimes with carrot, but it's the sauce it comes with that makes it so good, green mango sauce, which is hot, piquant and spicy. Wonderful - there are far too many other foods to mention.

But I live in Hua Hin, which has expats from all over - Brits, Scandi's, Germans, French, Swiss, Italians, Americans, a neighbour is Canadian, Aussies and Kiwi's and latterly Russians, although not so many here and finally Spanish. I bought my house from a Spanish lady. So a fairly cosmopolitan mix and this is reflected by the cuisine available, which is pretty much everything and much of it, from the places I have tried, is very good - even a Lebanese cum mediteranean restaurant, which is divine! All this is great for me, as I, like many others, like various dishes from all over. I am spoilt for chice should I want a good quality Sunday roast (I rarely do) and plenty of good Indian places here as well. But eating out, it's mainly Thai restaurants or food courts that I head to.

Should you be wondering what other cuisines Thai's like to eat, well there are Korean and Japanese restaurants everywhere for a reason!
'Tis me
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I often position this, rather cheerfully, as ‘what would be my death-row meal?’ Ie my final meal of choice.

There are many meal types vying for that accolade, but I often come back to Noodles. Plain or Thai glass noodles would be fine. In my ‘death row’ scenario, I’m really not sure how hungry I’d be but I’d give it a go!
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

You can’t beat a good curry. I’ve had friends introduce me to some great places to eat round Bradford where I work and the city did win the curry capital of Britain award 6 years in a row. However the best dishes are always the home made ones.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I like Indian, Thai, Chinese, Italian, Mexican and some others....probably why I’ve put on some weight in lockdown :lol:

If pushed I’d probably go for a fairly spicy ruby murray as my favourite :hot: :feuer:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Fascinating responses so far - I'm glad I started this one.
downer wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:46 pm In almost all cases, my favourite food memories are of fairly simple ingredients, cooked incredibly well.
Now this is something I certainly agree with.

But I also wonder, isn't location so often a part of that perfect dining experience?
  • A simple plate of sardines with a salad and a basket of bread, overlooking a little Portuguese harbour
  • A slow-cooked shoulder of pork in a tiny village in La Rioja, when walking across Spain. We had a couple of bottles of the good stuff as well.
  • A spicy goat dish, quite like a curry, on a jasmine-scented terrace overlooking Kalkan Bay in Turkey
  • A wonderful Daube de Boeuf in a restaurant in Grenoble, watching the sunset turning the snowy mountain tops pink
  • Moules Marinière in a little restaurant overlooking the harbour at St Vaast-la-Hougue in Normandy.
  • Mezes in a rustic taverna in the hills above Paphos, Cyprus, where there's live music and the locals can do all the dances properly!
You get the picture - I'm sure you can match or better it! :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

^^^ You are right, AVO. Location and company = atmosphere, which is perhaps the most important ingredient.
Richard
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Absolutely agree.

A hot summer's day on a Devon beach spent with the family making sandcastles and playing French cricket.

Laying at the water's edge with the warm water lapping at your feet.

A glorious day ending with fish and chips eaten on a harbour wall whilst watching the boats lazily drifting in from unknown adventures.

I'll happily settle for that.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:07 pm Fascinating responses so far - I'm glad I started this one.
downer wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:46 pm In almost all cases, my favourite food memories are of fairly simple ingredients, cooked incredibly well.
Now this is something I certainly agree with.

But I also wonder, isn't location so often a part of that perfect dining experience?
  • A simple plate of sardines with a salad and a basket of bread, overlooking a little Portuguese harbour
  • A slow-cooked shoulder of pork in a tiny village in La Rioja, when walking across Spain. We had a couple of bottles of the good stuff as well.
  • A spicy goat dish, quite like a curry, on a jasmine-scented terrace overlooking Kalkan Bay in Turkey
  • A wonderful Daube de Boeuf in a restaurant in Grenoble, watching the sunset turning the snowy mountain tops pink
  • Moules Marinière in a little restaurant overlooking the harbour at St Vaast-la-Hougue in Normandy.
  • Mezes in a rustic taverna in the hills above Paphos, Cyprus, where there's live music and the locals can do all the dances properly!
You get the picture - I'm sure you can match or better it! :D
You’re dead on with this. Context is a big part of a meal, not just the food itself.

This could be a separate thread of its own: my top five (or ten) best meals - what? Where? When?
Drew
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

:lol: Unfortunately, my favourite cuisine (in this scenario) would be consumed sitting on a rock hard prison bed, in a damp, dark concrete cell contemplating an early morning ‘alarm call’.

Sorry to burst the bubble :wave:
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

One of my favourites is definitely Mexican, although have only sampled the US side of the border for authenticity.

Italian, American, Argentinian, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Indian, French, German (well mostly a street currywurst :lol: ), British, etc are all great too. I think I just like eating.

I'm an omnomivore.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex