What's your favourite "Cuisine"?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

What's your favourite "Cuisine"?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Well, we may not be able to travel right now to enjoy our favourite goodies around the world, but there's no harm in discussing them!

So, what country's food (and drink if you like) is top of your tree?

I love Indian, Chinese and Thai food. But I'm not going to count them because I haven'r been to the actual countries.

Mediterranean food is my big favourite, but which one?

I like the food in Greece, Turkey, Cyprus and North Africa - I've had some wonderful things in the Levant and the Maghreb.

But I'm always thrown back on my "Big Three".

Spanish, French, Italian - love 'em all!

I think Italian food just edges it for me. I love some of the base ingredients like pasta, tomatoes and so on, but there's so much more to it and the combinations of ingredients make for some incredible flavours. French is a VERY close second - such a variety from south to north. I love the tastes of Spanish food too but it can be a bit meat-heavy in some places.

Yep, Italian - just. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Re: What's your favourite "Cuisine"?

Post by Viognier »

My big three are Italy, Vietnam and Japan for cuisine

Just one....Italian without question (by a landslide)
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jkpa »

OOOOHHHH tough one.

I also enjoy many different types of food. My wife is Portuguese and let me tell you.... they have some truly amazing dishes. I'm originally from Denmark, so I have a natural love of meat/potatoes/gravy heavy dishes. After moving to the US, my eyes were opened to everything else out there so now I enjoy Japanese, Thai, Chinese, Spanish, and Italian food pretty often as well.
downer

Post by downer »

My favourite is probably Indian but the finest food I've eaten was definitely in France, closely followed by Italy.

In almost all cases, my favourite food memories are of fairly simple ingredients, cooked incredibly well.
Richard
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Not very exotic, but can't beat a good fish & chips ...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I’d say Thai. I’ve had Tom Yum soup in Thailand so hot it gave me a fight-or-flight reaction! I also tried toad that was just crunchy with bones. But apart from these two experiences the food was amazing. Hot, sour, sweet. Lots of peanuts. Prawns. Lime juice. Amazing satay sauce. Sticky rice. Yum!
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

British cuisine for me although Asda do a rather nice chicken tikka masala when I'm feeling adventurous.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Neil b
Senior
Senior

Post by Neil b »

Do like a good old 26 ounce t bone and trimmings when in the good old USA
Had some amazing curry’s in Sri Lanka
Jerk and honey chicken in the Caribbean also vvvery good

Favourite I think is USA for steaks,clam chowder,ice creams,doughnuts love it all healthy eating
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Pub grub (a good chedder and chutney sandwich would be just perfect) and a pint of bitter. Being an expat does have its privations at the best of times. The dear knows when I'll get the opportunity again......
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Having spent most of my life single I would say my favourite is when someone else cooks me a meal :lol:
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

No hesitation on this one - French (having lived and worked out there for several years I was extremely spoilt for choice).
Back here in the UK, I actually managed to find a great little back street French restaurant, Le Petit Nantais in Hampton Court.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I have simple tastes. What we call around here a basic meat and potatoes man. That said I love seafood, Italian and Chinese food.

Many years ago I use to frequent a local Chinese restaurant and became friends with the owners. They invited me to their private annual Chinese New Year dinner for several years before they retired. They served real Chinese food and not the normal "Americanized" food they served daily. It was a most wonderful annual feast.

When I asked why they didn't serve this fare regularly the response was that Americans simply wouldn't buy it everyday. I disagreed but assumed they knew the market better than I did. I miss those feasts.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

This is tough, as there are so many good cuisines!

I guess at the end of the day, my favorite is French. In 2007 I went on a life changing trip to Dijon, France. While the full impact of the trip is beyond the scope of this thread, it’s impact on my eating was considerable. Prior to the trip I was a very finicky eater. While on the trip, I made a pledge to eat anything put in front of me, as it would have been rude to my hosts not to (the trip was a school exchange, with me staying with a French teacher).

What a revelation! It was like seeing the world in color after a lifetime of black and white. Some of the greatest meals of my life have been in France, whether it was at a Michelin starred restaurant or gathered around a picnic table on the porch, eating and drinking late into the night with friends.

I discovered the full beauty and power of food in France, and it will always be special to me for that reason.
Drew
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

scooter wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:34 pm British cuisine for me although Asda do a rather nice chicken tikka masala when I'm feeling adventurous.

scooter
I think you repeated yourself and said British food twice in that sentence. :lol:
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

My neighbors are Jamaican, and I never pass up their jerk chicken or oxtail stew.

However, it’s hard to beat Italian. My wife’s family is Italian and some of their old family recipes are absolutely delicious.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925