Lockdown new year exercise

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Lockdown new year exercise

Post by Soporsche »

As we are well and truly entrenched in UK Lockdown 2, how are you guys managing to keep your pecker up (so to speak). For some it's hobbies, some Netflix binges, others its a regular walk to break the monotony.... whats yours?

To kick things off... I've just this evening tried practicing my archery for 1st time in nearly a year by facing into my garage shooting against a small target inside, propped in front of some boxes full of old sheets etc (for safety). Bit risky but I have to do something.
Have to admit I wasn't fully motivated by the experience as just kept looking at all of the stuff I really need to clear from the garage. Also standing in the cold, muscles not as toned as they need to be, facing a concrete garage which isnt exactly picturesque..... Ill maybe try again at the weekend!

Prompted to this thread after my mum encountered this lone fisherman whilst on her daily walk. They chatted to him briefly (shouted from 20yds). He stated "its my one out of the house exercise of the day, ok I'm out for 4hrs but its local and as you can see I'm maintaining social distancing..." 🙂
Whilst stuck in grey London, balancing work, home schooling, domestic drudgery, maybe a quick walk around park which is much busier than normal, I have to admit I was a little jealous 🙄
Screenshot_20210112-233707_WhatsApp.jpg
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Lockdown new year exercise

Post by gannet »

I'm trying to cycle daily, as I used to do 24 miles a day as part of my commute.

Major obstacle is darkness! With working normal hours at home it is very dark still in the morning and evening at the moment. I've decent lights so I can see where I'm going but it is a little hard to see the scenery / wildlife...
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I'm trying to do a decent daily walk, helped by the fact my daughter does a lot of walks and provides some inspiration.

On the whole though, I do find that the whole lockdown experience can have the tendency to drain the motivation from you to do certain activities such as exercise now that I can no longer go to the gym, the weather is too crap to get out on the bike etc. It is definitely not a healthy state of affairs so I look forward to the spring when the weather improves, all the oldies (do I count as one of them? :? ) have been vaccinated, and we can hopefully get a bit of normality back in our lives.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Must admit I'm finding this lockdown harder than the previous iterations. I think it's mainly a combination of the time of year (relatively short daylight) and poor weather. There are fewer necessary practical outdoor tasks and I'm pretty up to date with any bike related projects.

In the last lockdown I was able to get out on the blood bike once a week but currently we have a surplus of volunteers compared to available shifts so I've taken a break from that for a while. Additionally, the care arrangements for my mum have improved so I need to make fewer visits, which is clearly a positive thing in this situation.

Overall though, I remind myself how fortunate we (Mrs D and myself) are to be easily able to isolate and "stay at home". We have decent walking available from our house, we are able to get regular delivery slots from supermarkets and we get a weekly "veg box" from a local supplier.

So, walking, reading, planning future "adventures" and getting even more curmudgeonly about the state of the world and current affairs. :D
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

downer wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:53 am Must admit I'm finding this lockdown harder than the previous iterations. I think it's mainly a combination of the time of year (relatively short daylight) and poor weather. There are fewer necessary practical outdoor tasks....
I can relate to all that, Richard. These last few weeks have been pretty awful, really. I normally spend the whole of Christmas and New Year (2 weeks) in Cyprus so I have really felt it this time.

Having almost retired and being down to a few hours a week since July hasn't helped, actually. I'm working tomorrow and I can't wait to get on with it! Plus I have a big proof-reading and checking task coming up for the school, as I'm starting to take over the report checking role...looking forward to that, too.

As you say, Spring wasn't too bad and I got out quite a lot in November - the weather was quite good in both periods.

I try to get out and walk for an hour every day - unless the weather is truly awful. I'm also getting on with my writing, though again it hasn't been a great time to try and launch a second career as a travel writer when you can't travel. But I'm getting on with my Cyprus book, doing the research and typing up/editing my voice recordings and notes from previous trips.

Can't wait for spring, the jab and the chance to get on a plane!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Yeah must admit this is starting to get on my nerves, apart from work hardly left the house for a couple of months :( as for work we are run ragged, DIYers are still spending big so don’t need anymore exercise :lol: camper van conversion suspended, van is 25 miles away round my brother in laws :thumbdown: just waiting for the day it’s all over :D on a late shift today so off to work in a few minutes, put right everything that’s gone wrong this morning :lol:
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I think that the current lockdown will be more of a grind, annoyance and frustration than last time, due to a combination of reasons.

Poor weather, meaning it’s not fun to be outside. Annoyance that we are in this situation again, due to gross incompetence.

My exercise at the moment is yoga sessions, via zoom 3 times a week and a daily local walk, which fortunately involves walking no more than 100m to be on footpaths in a rural setting.

From a practical point of view, I reckon that we are in for at least 3 months of lockdown. I get that and understand the reasons why.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I walk, cycle and watch endless YouTube videos, mainly instructional.

Yesterday I obtained my Drone Flyer Licence from the CAA valid for 5 years although I haven't got a drone...yet.

Mentally, I'm in an excellent state.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Walk, walk, walking (as I ‘m able). Supreme exercise for straightening out tangles and stuck bits in my head. 👍
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
nburgess
Guru
Guru

Post by nburgess »

I get out for my runs
Agreed, it has felt a lot more difficult this time, what with the dark and the very cold weather (for UK) since Christmas. So I'm not getting out as much as I want.
For me, I find it so important to get out though - not just physically, but mentally. Gives me time to think and clear my head a bit.
What I'm finding difficult is keeping the kids interested. There's only so many times they want to hear "Let's go for a walk (or ride)"
It could be a long few weeks.
Neil
Htownsend

Post by Htownsend »

Managing to get out for runs but weather and lack of daylight doesn't help my enthusiasm! Just glad I'm still at work full time as would be going stir crazy, especially since a lot of jobs around the house were done in 1st lockdown.
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Good to hear from everyone trying to keep their heads and bodies together.... that's a relative term.
I agree though that its more difficult this time around.. weather, daylight, repetition and a planned long stint don't help.
I'm now employed as opposed to self employed (and quiet) last time so finding juggling work/child more challenging especially as he's a real outside and running around kind of kid. Feel more for him than me tbh, he's missing interaction, adventures and struggling to keep occupied/engaged.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I need to get my backside and head in gear as I've been on a run of apathy and melancholy since Christmas / New Year.

Symptomatic of this is that I have built up a long list of unread threads on here; this being the oldest!

Exercise wise I get out daily to walk Davie, my Greyhound, but we don't go that far or fast as he's older with a bit of arthritis in his hind quarters, and I've had issues with my left knee since November.

At least we, here in England, now have our Roadmap out of Lockdown so am able, to some degree, plan ahead.

I've had a long weekend away with my girlfriend, self catering in Wales, booked for the end of April (bumped from same time last year) but as we are not a Single Household, we will have to look at booking after 21st June.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

As the weather has now improved a bit (although today it is blowing a hoolie), I went for my first cycle of the year on Sunday, about 15 miles around the city, it was quite windy and I don't mind admitting the legs were feeling a bit weary by the end of it. Planning another cycle this weekend to get the fitness back up (and the waist size back down :problem: ).
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Saw my consultant today, and she was extolling the benefits of wild swimming. She doesn't believe in meds if and where other things can work just as well :thumbup: . Whatever those things might be it seems!!
So I came home and found a Youtube clip on wild swimming for beginners. By the time the guy had demonstrated how to put on a wetsuit properly I was exhausted! It's not so much that wild swimming isn't for me - wetsuits certainly aren't :lol:

More realistically, I'm thinking of starting doing some swimming when the pools and gyms reopen. I find swimming very dull, but I find the effects of even dull exercise on my head far more compelling. There's a lovely victorian baths nearby that I'll check out when I can :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00