Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: CW January 21 sale reboot

Post by jimbo »

StrappedUp wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:00 am
jimbo wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:14 am I bought a heavily discounted watch from Bremont. The t & c's clearly state that if by buying one I sold it on within it's 3 year warranty the warranty would be scrapped, and that they would refuse to sell me another watch.

I think this is very fair. Maybe CW could do the same for their discounted watches? This means that that there is little profit going to be made by bulk buying.

If someone does buy in bulk they are also sitting on a large amount of goods with little certainty of actually selling on quickly, or certainty of doing so.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits for eternity :)
Hmmm ... unfortunately, there isn't a solution suitable for all scenarios.

Take for example last Jan sale. I purchased a 38mm C60 that I wasn't fussed on when it arrived, but was able to answer a WTB on the forum for that particular watch. Allowed someone else the chance to have it at sale price as opposed to sending it back and the vultures feeding on it.

Similarly, later in the sale I purchased a C65 and didn't get on with the size. It went to sales corner at less than sale price.

Losing the warranty wouldn't have helped matters with these. I bought both with the intent on keeping, but neither worked out *for me* to the benefit of 2 forum members :thumbup:
Yep, but you didn't sell for profit....that is different
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

MarkingTime wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:04 am Wow, and gone!
I’m not convinced they’re gone. They seem to flash up, go and then return a few mins later. The three yellows now up appeared, disappeared then returned. Similarly I’m expecting a red bezel C60 to reappear soon. It’s slow going stuff this ......
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by MarkingTime »

To anyone that is looking for a black C65 auto on a black strap, I'm about to cancel an order, as my other order is now processed and on its way. This one was a backup if the first fell through. Let me know if you want it and I'll keep it and put up an ad in the for sale section.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

jimbo wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:12 am Yep, but you didn't sell for profit....that is different
Yep, I get the principle, but it's then establishing the reason for sale and how much it was sold on for, not to mention proving it.
I can't see CW wanting to go down that route.

Then if you took Bremonts blanket approach, it would have stopped me from passing these on with warranty intact.

edit - we're definitely on the same side ... I would like nothing more than see these sale watches goto enthusiasts rather than anyone looking to turn a fast buck :thumbup:
Ryan
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

StrappedUp wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:26 pm
jimbo wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:12 am Yep, but you didn't sell for profit....that is different
Yep, I get the principle, but it's then establishing the reason for sale and how much it was sold on for, not to mention proving it.

Then if you took Bremonts blanket approach, it would have stopped me from passing these on with warranty intact.

edit - we're definitely on the same side ... I would like nothing more than see these sale watches goto enthusiasts rather than anyone looking to turn a fast buck :thumbup:
For me and my Bremont i really don't have a problem with it, as it is a limited edition, and has my service number on the back..... not really desirable to anyone else... unless I was a "VC" but then I never even won the race to the front of the NAAFI queue :)
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

On a seperate note and probably for a different thread, but some of the usual Ebay suspects have started buying sensibly priced, pre-owned watches, then re-listing them at far higher prices.
Nothing illegal with that, but what a bunch of *insert your favoured term here*.
Ryan
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

On a seperate note and probably for a different thread, but some of the usual Ebay suspects have started buying sensibly priced, pre-owned watches, then re-listing them at far higher prices.
Nothing illegal with that, but what a bunch of *insert your favoured term here*.
Entrepreneurs?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

StrappedUp wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:51 pm On a seperate note and probably for a different thread, but some of the usual Ebay suspects have started buying sensibly priced, pre-owned watches, then re-listing them at far higher prices.
I have noticed quite a few ebay traders who arbitrage in various segments over the years. All part of a free market and one could argue they provide liquidity, which of course has a cost.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

*rolls eyes*
Ryan
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

MarkingTime wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:44 am To anyone that is looking for a black C65 auto on a black strap, I'm about to cancel an order, as my other order is now processed and on its way. This one was a backup if the first fell through. Let me know if you want it and I'll keep it and put up an ad in the for sale section.
This is part of it with genuine buyers, isn't it? We buy more than one just in case, but not trying to make a profit.
I bought the same C65 black auto but on a bracelet. I also bought the C65 yellow LE on a bracelet. What I really wanted was to get a QR bracelet for use with my C65 vintage handwound, and I wasn't sure whether the black auto did come with the QR. The sale listing showed it with the non QR bracelet. The black watch has actually just been delivered, and does have the QR bracelet. The watch is fully stickered. The yellow one has now been dispatched. Maybe CW only have QR bracelets now. I can see myself keeping them both as it happens, as I really like the black, and I think I will really like the yellow. Anyway, I would prefer to pay a few hundred for the CW yellow, than a few thousand for the Rolex OP yellow. :)
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

jimbo wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:46 pm
StrappedUp wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:26 pm

For me and my Bremont i really don't have a problem with it, as it is a limited edition, and has my service number on the back..... not really desirable to anyone else... unless I was a "VC" but then I never even won the race to the front of the NAAFI queue :)
The Bremont analogy doesn't stack up. Bremont give the significant discounts on only those limited editions created for the specific customer, these are not sale items and won't ever be for sale to anyone other than the original customer of that edition. The conditions of ownership of one of those LEs is that stated previously.
A CW periodic sale to the general public, in an open market, is entirely different. Edit: They even sell off previously unwanted numbers of special editions in these sales.
Lu..
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Lu.. »

tikkathree wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:25 am
Lu.. wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:32 am Sorry, still disappointed in CW.....I only one watch...didn't get an email on the sale....had to come to this forum to get the link....and then I see this retraction....this whole sale was handled poorly by CW......
It's an imperfect world it seems. Suggest you research the annual sale cycle via this forum and make a diary note -- and count your blessings that the forum exists to help you get through. Not sure what you mean by "only one watch" though? :wave:

For myself I'd like to see CW apply their rules of engagement concerning maximum number of sale purchases strictly rather than leaving it to individuals to decide whether to play by the rules or not. (I think we've seen enough in Washington this week to know the answer on that one!)
I meant to say "I only wanted one watch"

Why can't CW use a ramp up approach in the sale.....

For example....the first three days of the sale..only one watch total/registered member/day...then on days 4 & 5, members can buy 2 watches/model/day, then in day 6..open to the general public as many you want.

They don't have to change their sale pricing structure, their staff would not be overwhelmed processing orders doing this stage, and it would be a fair allotment using this phased in approach.

Come on, anybody who buys more than 1 watch/model is buying the others for profit. I have no problem with people making money, but at least give an opportunity for us regular folks first to get a discounted watch we've been eyeing or on the fence for months. For some of us...it takes months to save a thousand dollars (especially during this pandemic) to buy something nice for ourselves.
Ω Moonwatch 3861 Sapphire ... Bulova "Mickey Mouse" ... C.Ward C65 Trident ... Movado Esperanza Museum ... Longines Model 2133
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Lu.. wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:15 pm
Come on, anybody who buys more than 1 watch/model is buying the others for profit.
So anyone with more than 1 watch of a particular brand has bought the second one for profit!!

Looking forward to the responses over your statement.

I bought 2 in the sale and I resent your implication, which sadly smacks of sour grapes.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

TheBeatles wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:25 pm
Come on, anybody who buys more than 1 watch/model is buying the others for profit.
So anyone with more than 1 watch of a particular brand has bought the second one for profit!!

Looking forward to the responses over your statement.

I bought 2 in the sale and I resent your implication, which sadly smacks of sour grapes.

I (maybe) managed to get 1. Its said "preparing to be dispatched" since the second I ordered it so who knows. But i missed out on the rosso, which I was a bit brassed off with.
That doesnt leave me thinking cw need to change their sales platform. Its just unlucky.
I didnt get the email (again) so without this forum, I would have totally missed out. Tough luck for me.
Others got good deals and so long as they dont all end up on ebay then fair play.

Think the more than 1 watch from a particular brand comment is laughable, especially on here and that may be a tricky thread to pull at...!
(#knowyouraudience) :?

Its the way of the world. Crack on.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Come on, anybody who buys more than 1 watch/model is buying the others for profit. I have no problem with people making money, but at least give an opportunity for us regular folks first to get a discounted watch we've been eyeing or on the fence for months. For some of us...it takes months to save a thousand dollars (especially during this pandemic) to buy something nice for ourselves.
Many of us here own more than 1 CW and quite a few many more than that. I don't agree that everybody buying more than one watch at sale time is aiming to make a profit, it is very easy to envisage two or more models coming up (particularly as rare back numbers often make an appearance) that some aficionado would like to have and sale time is the time to push the boat out, surely?
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)