Patina - C65 Trident Bronze Ombré COSC?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Patina - C65 Trident Bronze Ombré COSC?

Post by Jcalder68 »

Bank balance is looking surprisingly healthy. New Tier 4 Lockdown has my mouse clicking lime a demon. Potential sale on the horizon... A perfect storm?

I am looking to add a new specimen to the collection. It needs to be a diver, max of 41mm diameter, COSC certification and bronze. Prime candidate here is CW’s C65 Trident Bronze Ombré COSC, unless the C60 ever came in 40mm, bronze and a dial that was NOT blue?. Ok, so it’s a very specific specification and I’m probably just marking up an excuse to buy one of these.

My question is - does the case develop the same degree of patina as the C60 Bronze cases do? If anyone has any decent images of their watch with a well-developed patina I would appreciate it.

Many thanks and keep safe,

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Patina - C65 Trident Bronze Ombré COSC?

Post by Thegreyman »

It sounds like you already know that the C60 Bronze has only ever had a blue dial, the mk2 in 38/43mm and the new 40mm mk3.

I own a C65 Ombre and it is a fantastic watch. Despite being worn fairly rarely it was already developing patina...until I recently cleaned it off to get the raw look back. So in answer to your question yes it does patinate quite nicely, although I can't show you a photo of that now!

A couple of the main differences to the C60 bronze are 1) that the bezel is a painted black bezel as opposed to the bronze bezel of the C60 so you won't get the bezel patination you would on the C60 and 2) most of the bronze case of the C65 is polished as opposed to brushed on the C60 so the Ombre has far less of a tool watch look compared to the C60.

I'd definitely recommend the C65 Ombre. Some have speculated that they are no longer listed on the site as they will form part of the January sale so if you are lucky you might get one @ maybe 30% off.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

If they had gone from the site they are back now. Hopefully you’ll be lucky sometime and get one for Nearly New, as I did earlier this year. I’ve tried some photos to show the patina developing, but the light is not great.

Trying not to buy any more watches...
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jcalder68 »

Many thanks to both.
I’m glad to see that some patina is possible, something was nagging in the back of my mind that this version was a bronze coating / PVD or equivalent and that patina was somehow prevented. IF I bag one, then I’d love to watch this develop.
Keeping fingers crossed...
Keep safe,
C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

Jcalder68 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:38 pm Many thanks to both.
I’m glad to see that some patina is possible, something was nagging in the back of my mind that this version was a bronze coating / PVD or equivalent and that patina was somehow prevented. IF I bag one, then I’d love to watch this develop.
Keeping fingers crossed...
Keep safe,
C
Ah sorry, there are crossed wires here. The C65 ombré has a bronze case, not PVD. The PVD C65 is the Black Gold limited edition. My limited knowledge is that the PVD won’t gain a patina.
Trying not to buy any more watches...
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jcalder68 »

Ah, yes. I thought there was a coated bronze version of something.
Thanks for clearing that up,
C
Skratch

Post by Skratch »

I’ve only very recently got mine, but I absolutely adore it. It’s an excellent choice. Like you, I look forward to aging along side the watch

Umm.. I created an account just to reply and I’m not sure how to upload an image lol..