Aviation watches category gone

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Aviation watches category gone

Post by Robotaz »

Am I suffering some sort of website user error, or are the Aviation watches really gone?
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Aviation watches category gone

Post by jkbarnes »

How interesting. I wonder if some might show up in the sale?
Drew
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

jkbarnes wrote:How interesting. I wonder if some might show up in the sale?
Wouldn’t matter for me as I always get screwed out of the sale. Partly why I don’t buy CW watches anymore. I’m just curious where they went.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

On a related note, there are a number of LE watches that are now gone. I can’t imagine they suddenly sold out. I wonder if they too might show up in the sale?
Drew
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Sale you guys? Sale? Sale? :problem: :problem: Whatever are you thinking? :lol: :lol: :lol:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:38 pm On a related note, there are a number of LE watches that are now gone. I can’t imagine they suddenly sold out. I wonder if they too might show up in the sale?
The C7 Motorsports have gone (Rosso and Hornet) but I can't remember if these were both LE ?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:30 pm The C7 Motorsports have gone (Rosso and Hornet) but I can't remember if these were both LE ?
They were/are.

I must say, this thread about favourite time periods for CWL watches go me thinking...

When I joined the Forum and bought my first CWs nearly 10 years ago, there was a broader spectrum of watches available: dress, motorsport, aviation, dive, ladies' watches.

For this year's releases, to twist Henry Ford's aphorism a little, "you can have any colour you like as long as it's a C60 or C65". Some of them are very nice, too, but...

I'd like to see that breadth of choice again.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Mikkei4 wrote:
jkbarnes wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:38 pm On a related note, there are a number of LE watches that are now gone. I can’t imagine they suddenly sold out. I wonder if they too might show up in the sale?
The C7 Motorsports have gone (Rosso and Hornet) but I can't remember if these were both LE ?
The CWArchive will tell you. :wink:

The C7 Hornet is/was an LE, but I can't recall on the Rosso Corsa.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:48 pm
Mikkei4 wrote:
The CWArchive will tell you. :wink:

The C7 Hornet is/was an LE, but I can't recall on the Rosso Corsa.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
The Rosso was also an LE (as per Archive :D ) so my post was totally superfluous (as usual some might say :lol: )
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:46 pm I must say, this thread about favourite time periods for CWL watches go me thinking...

When I joined the Forum and bought my first CWs nearly 10 years ago, there was a broader spectrum of watches available: dress, motorsport, aviation, dive, ladies' watches.

For this year's releases, to twist Henry Ford's aphorism a little, "you can have any colour you like as long as it's a C60 or C65". Some of them are very nice, too, but...

I'd like to see that breadth of choice again.
I’d love to see what the road map is for CW, as I find all this rather fascinating. I’m sorry too see so many fewer lines. However, that’s purely academic because it’s not like I was going to be buying from those lines. Perhaps CW is consolidating around the lines that sell? Nothing wrong with focusing ones resources where one seems to be excelling.

What I’ve always found intriguing about the C7 line is that the last version of the C7 had a really cool case, that I can’t imagine was inexpensive to develop. But then it didn’t seem to last too long in the line up. One would think they’d have kept the production going longer.
Drew
Htownsend

Post by Htownsend »

Got admit that although I am fairly new to CW I am finding myself drawn to the older models, the C8 power reserve chronometer tickling my fancy at the moment. The C60 Abyss sh21 is on my wish list but for the stealth look and being a skeleton.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:24 pm I’d love to see what the road map is for CW, as I find all this rather fascinating. I’m sorry too see so many fewer lines. However, that’s purely academic because it’s not like I was going to be buying from those lines. Perhaps CW is consolidating around the lines that sell? Nothing wrong with focusing ones resources where one seems to be excelling.
I get it, of course I do. I can't really complain either because I can hardly claim to have been boosting the coffers recently. Just an observation, really. I enjoyed looking at the website more when there was greater heterogeneity of style.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Dress has also been depleted.....the game's afoot!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:24 pm
What I’ve always found intriguing about the C7 line is that the last version of the C7 had a really cool case, that I can’t imagine was inexpensive to develop. But then it didn’t seem to last too long in the line up. One would think they’d have kept the production going longer.
At the first CW Event / GTG in Edinburgh during January '19, this subject came up and Mike France suggested that the C7 case, notably with its hollowed lugs and separate barrel, was the most expensive case in the CW range to make.

I believe this was a major consideration in deciding to retire the C7 range.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

When I became aware of CW there were 4 pillars.

For a while now motorsport has been limited to the Hornet and the Rosso Corsa plus whatever Morgans & Birken Blowers hadn’t sold.

Aviators waned with the last C8’s being sold off in the last sale.

If Dress has now been dropped too, that just leaves Dive as the only pillar. Dive is where most of the investment has gone, and that certainly where the sales have been focussed.

Maybe it’s time to recognise that CW is a single stable manufacturer with the C60 and the C65 representing modern and retro respectively.

But wait.....

After I typed out the words above, I checked the website. I should have done that before I started typing; right now, I still see Motorsport & Dress (many of the remaining Motorsport are also listed under Dress), and there’s a new pillar “Military”. C60 and C65 are clearly the main lines, but the others aren’t done yet.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot