C40 SpeedHawk vs C60 Trident Chrono 300

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
cjose

C40 SpeedHawk vs C60 Trident Chrono 300

Post by cjose »

Hi all,

New to the forum and after some thoughts - albeit I know this will be subjective!

I am struggling to find out too much on the above and they are not current (on the website), but I have narrowed my search down to the C40 SpeedHawk or the C60 Trident Chrono 300 for the first CW.

I wondered if anyone had any constructive views on these at all?

Cheers
Chris
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: C40 SpeedHawk vs C60 Trident Chrono 300

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Hello and welcome.

The first and rather obvious point is that the Speedhawk hasn't been produced for years. See CW Archive entry.

The Trident Chronograph 300 is also out of production.

So unless you are going to source one second hand, you would do better to visit the CW site and look at the current stock.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Auto versus quartz, weight and case height are the significant differences, As AVO noted in his links to the forum archives (in post above) this would be your top resource.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Maybe a better comparison with the C60 Trident Chrono 300 would be the C4 Peregrine? Quartz v Quartz. I've never owned a C60 Chrono but I do own, albeit only acquired recently, a C4 Peregrine. One of the best 'bang for the buck' watches I've bought;

BAE29972-CDB5-4B74-8846-228447A75107_1_201_a.jpeg
cjose

Post by cjose »

Thanks all (and for the welcome!)

In answer to the main questions; I am looking for a used automatic (aware I now meant C60 Chrono 600 as I dont think the 300 came in automatic?)

I've got a few to my collection now, but so far mainly autos from the 60s, my favourite (Longines) having been in repair now for far too long that I would like a more modern automatic for frequent use.
My best man actually put me onto CW, apparently there is quite a following in the forces(?). I was looking at a Hamilton Jazzmaster Auto, but I know I'd find the lack of bezel / Tachymeter too plain for me. He swears by his 2 CWs.

If I'm honest, I do slightly prefer the older ranges which are no longer available new, although I am very aware that this raises the supply and demand stakes somewhat!
From my research the C40 Speedhawk and the C60 Trident Chrono auto were the ones that really ticked my boxes!

That C4 is a lovely watch however; I will do some reading!

Any comments welcome, especially if it's a case of me being very optimistic around securing the above!

Cheers!
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

cjose wrote:Any comments welcome, especially if it's a case of me being very optimistic around securing the above!
It’s more a matter of patience than anything else as neither of the automatic chronographs appear for sale frequently, but they do appear from time to time.

As to which, that’s more a matter of personal choice; mechanically they both run the same ETA Valjoux 7750 inside, so it’s (as usual) more a case of appearance, condition and price which probably will drive your choice.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Removed by me as I hadn’t read the OP’s reply before responding to Gary’s post :oops: :oops:
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

As Gary (gaf1958) suggests, with Speedhawk and the Trident Chrono using the same Valjoux 7750 its down to preference and horses for courses.

I own / have owned, both and will sum it up with the Speedhawk being the more attractive but the Trident Chrono the more robust.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
cjose

Post by cjose »

Thanks all,

If it was just on appearance, then the C40-SKS is the model for me. So it looks like some patience and a bit of luck is going to be needed!
Really helpful all, thanks - especially the archives!

One last question on this front; in your experiences where is a trustworthy / suitable platform to keep an eye out for CW's?

Cheers
Amor Vincit Omnia

cjose wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:33 am
Really helpful all, thanks - especially the archives!

One last question on this front; in your experiences where is a trustworthy / suitable platform to keep an eye out for CW's?

Cheers
1. Good that the Archive is doing its job as more people are learning to use it.

2. Aside from the obvious auction sites...

When your first 5 posts have been approved you will be able to see the Forum Sales Corner.

Also, if you are on Facebook, ask to join the Christopher Ward Enthusiasts page. Quite a few forum people use it.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
cjose

Post by cjose »

That's great, thanks - I will take a look at both of your suggestions, and continue to refresh the auction sites!

Hopefully I can post a picture of my first CW in the not so
distant future!

Cheers all
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

It is definitely worth setting up a search alert on the auction site(s) so you get an email when a model matching your search terms comes up. Means you don't have to visit daily but also don't potentially miss out on a model you're after.
I'd also buy on here before an Auction site, but neither of those models appear here often so it is a good idea to cast your net wide!
Amor Vincit Omnia

monkeymax wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:58 am I'd also buy on here before an Auction site, but neither of those models appear here often so it is a good idea to cast your net wide!
I agree. There were a couple of Speedhawks on there in the spring this year, but no C60 Chrono 600 since May 2019.
Steve

cjose

Post by cjose »

Great thanks.

I have a fair few alerts set up but I have also found that if you get too detailed you may miss out on one or two that have been incorrectly classified!

I wonder if C60 Chrono 600s become a little more frequent with the new release? Personally too thick for me at c.17mm (if I ever have to work from the office again!) And the budget holds me back also, but may tempt a few to replace old with new!
Amor Vincit Omnia

cjose wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:41 pm I wonder if C60 Chrono 600s become a little more frequent with the new release? Personally too thick for me at c.17mm (if I ever have to work from the office again!) And the budget holds me back also, but may tempt a few to replace old with new!
I'm pretty sure the previous (Mk2) version was over 17mm too. Pretty hefty chunks of metal.
Steve