C60 Apex : Movement problems ?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
KornSaksakorn
Senior
Senior

C60 Apex : Movement problems ?

Post by KornSaksakorn »

Dear members,

I plan to wear C60 Apex in October. Hence today I manually wound the watch. The second hand started to move when power reserve hand reached 3 days. Stopped manual winding. Then set the time to 7:00am, set the date to 28th, then set the time again.

Below is what happened this morning:

1. While setting the time, the minute hand moved forward by itself when I left my fingers from the crown. The crown also rotated by itself as well.

2. When I pushed in the crown (before screwed in), power reserve depleted suddenly to 0 day. This was indicated by power reserve hand moved downward and pointed at 0. Simultaneously, the minute hand and hour hand moved extremely fast around the watch by themselves. Then the watch completely stopped.

May I have your advices what were happening? I have never experienced these behaviors before. Thank you very much in advance.
Korn Saksakorn S.
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Re: C60 Apex : Movement problems ?

Post by Paul Drawmer »

It's got to go back - get in touch (phone is best) with CW.
There's always time for one more.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Paul Drawmer wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:23 pm It's got to go back - get in touch (phone is best) with CW.
Sorry to hear of your issue and as Paul advises, it will need to go back to CW.

It sounds like a fairly typical issue that automatic movements can suffer from which I have heard of when the Click Spring, which holds the mainspring in a wound condition, has failed; allowing the mainspring to unwind in an unregulated manner.

Probably not a million miles away from the stuck rotor issue that is also quite common.

If it is just the Click Spring, you ought to be able to handwind and set it, making sure you keep hold of the crown to stop it unwinding, then screw the crown in again keeping hold to stop it unwinding, and let it run on the PR you have wound in.

Bottom line though; CW will fix it for you.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
KornSaksakorn
Senior
Senior

Post by KornSaksakorn »

Thank you very much Paul and Guy.

Vallen passed the clip of Incident 1 to technical manager. Will confirm after having more definitive answer.

Her initial comment is the watch needs to be re-set. I do not know what re-set in watchmaking industry means.

Unfortunately, I could not record Incident 2 because both of my hands were holding the watch and pushed in the crown. It happened very fast like a blink of an eye.
Korn Saksakorn S.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

KornSaksakorn wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:23 am Unfortunately, I could not record Incident 2 because both of my hands were holding the watch and pushed in the crown. It happened very fast like a blink of an eye.
I had to figure out how to do the three hand trick in order to send a winding clip of a pocket watch to someone recently.

How I did it was to take a pint glass and place my phone on top, camera pointing down with it balanced so the lens hangs quite far over the edge of the glass.

Press record on you phone camera in video mode and the height of the pint glass should allow enough space underneath to allow you to fiddle with the watch and it remain in focus.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
KornSaksakorn
Senior
Senior

Post by KornSaksakorn »

Thank you very much Iain. I will action your recommended tip when I receive the watch back from CW :)

Vallen returned me 2nd time with detailed diagnosis. The watch needs to be returned for repair. DHL will pick up from me next week.

I appreciate this independent CW forum as well as Vallen and CS of CW.

Thank you very much all.
Korn Saksakorn S.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

iain wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:48 pm
KornSaksakorn wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:23 am Unfortunately, I could not record Incident 2 because both of my hands were holding the watch and pushed in the crown. It happened very fast like a blink of an eye.
I had to figure out how to do the three hand trick in order to send a winding clip of a pocket watch to someone recently.

How I did it was to take a pint glass and place my phone on top, camera pointing down with it balanced so the lens hangs quite far over the edge of the glass.

Press record on you phone camera in video mode and the height of the pint glass should allow enough space underneath to allow you to fiddle with the watch and it remain in focus.
Genius!! Truth is, every watch I sell on and especially chronographs, I video in this way before packing and posting. I do this for my own peace of mind and records. Only once in maybe thirty transactions has the need arisen to offer a copy of the video to the purchaser who claimed the watch had some kind of malfunction: I didn't hear from him after that.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
KornSaksakorn
Senior
Senior

Post by KornSaksakorn »

Thank you tikkathree. I will make it standard as well.
Korn Saksakorn S.
KornSaksakorn
Senior
Senior

Post by KornSaksakorn »

This morning, DHL picked up C60 Apex.

Now I am thinking: out of 100 pieces, how many C60 Apex owners have encountered movement problems?
Korn Saksakorn S.
KornSaksakorn
Senior
Senior

Post by KornSaksakorn »

On Fri, 13 Nov 2020, I received my C60 Apex back.
Yesterday, while winding and time/date setting, I filmed everything. Luckily, back to normal. Now she is on my wrist.
Thank you very much gents for all your advices.
Korn Saksakorn S.
Bahnstormer_vRS

Good to hear everything is sorted and that, once again, you are able to enjoy your Apex.

That's under six weeks for the repair, including shipping from / to the USA Thailand. Pretty good. : thumbup:

Thank you for letting us know.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: OP's location corrected

KornSaksakorn
Senior
Senior

Post by KornSaksakorn »

Yes Guy, impressive considering shipping: Thailand -> London -> Thailand.
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:54 am Good to hear everything is sorted and that, once again, you are able to enjoy your Apex.

That's under six weeks for the repair, including shipping from / to the USA. Pretty good. : thumbup:

Thank you for letting us know.

Guy

Korn Saksakorn S.
Bahnstormer_vRS

Thank you for the correction. : thumbup:

It will be good to see some photos, sometime. :wink:

Guy

KornSaksakorn
Senior
Senior

Post by KornSaksakorn »

Quick shot of current time here ;)
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:54 am Thank you for the correction. : thumbup:

It will be good to see some photos, sometime. :wink:

Guy

58D6705A-46B1-4B76-B7FF-C388BA127775.jpeg
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached photo 'Placed in Line' - https://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55242
Korn Saksakorn S.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Mine has been trouble free but I'm pleased to hear that you've got yours back in good health and in good time. Great to hear.
C65 Apex Nov 2020.jpg
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached photo 'Placed in Line' - https://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55242
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris