Forum Dialogue: My watch experience and learnings so far....

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Re: Forum Dialogue: My watch experience and learnings so far....

Post by Viognier »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:54 am A brilliant post, Lance, and one which I hope will give rise to yet more excellent watch based discussion of the type we have seen recently. Very well written.

I’m glad that you acknowledge the importance of Downer’s Rules in all this.
Thanks AVO. Downer's Rules are a reference I still mentally review when I'm making a watch purchase and share with friends who are new to watches.

I value your comments and appreciate that in your collection other brands, including a couple iconic brand watches, play a huge role. I totally respect that and agree it's part of the personalization of everyone's watch collection!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

strapline wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:06 am Firstly, thank you Viognier for this post, very palatable indeed, like the grape variety that you use as your user name. I like threads like this, it's one of the main reasons I'm on this forum. You can learn a lot from this type of discussion. You offer some very useful advice, some of which I agree with, some not.

If I was compiling a similar list of my tips, my No 1 rule would be 'buy what YOU like, not what popular opinion dictates', you bring this to the fold at point 7. I think there is a lot of external pressure on watch fans to fit in to preconceived notions of what constitutes a good or valid watch collection.

The last point I'll make here, it'd possibly be my point 2, 'enjoy the thrill of the chase...and thoroughly research it'. Remember, this whole hobby boils down to our notion of time, what's the hurry? Compare, contrast, covet, then covet some more. A well informed buying choice offers its own rewards.

Oh...and point 3 from me,'there are no hard or fasts', dig your own furrow and plant your own seed, see what grows from there.

Thanks for what I think should be a well contributed to thread. :D
Thanks you Des for your great commentary and adding on your learnings here for others!! Generous of you to share :clap:
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

nbg wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:26 pm An interesting post. :thumbup:

Some parts I totally agree with, some partly and some not at all. :)

1. Difficult and impractical to do at the start, as you never know where the journey will lead. However after collecting for a few or many years I think it’s a good idea. I have reached the stage where I have no desire to sink more into the hobby. Yes there are still a few I am interested in, but will fund from sales of those I already have.

I don’t though like use of the term “investment” in the context of watch collecting. It’s a hobby with a cost. I view the amount I have tied up in the hobby as the amount I would achieve in a short notice sale to a dealer. That said I wouldn’t spend money on watches that I thought I may need in a likely worst case scenario. Watches are trinkets not essential items. I.e. do not fall into what seems to be fashionable thought in an era of low interest rates, using watches as a proxy for emergency funds, savings or long term investments.

Regardless of any of the above I think the most important points for anyone is that the only view about collecting that really matters is your own. Just make your own mind up and don’t take it too seriously. Buy them, wear them, enjoy them. :)

Neil
Neil, I'm pleased you also shared your learnings from your watch collecting time! Thank you. Fair counter pint on investment as it may imply money to be made and as you point out its a hobby with a cost. Let's rename it "Watch Expense Budget" LOL!

" Buy them, wear them and enjoy them" should be the forum Golden Rule
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:40 pm
Thank you Lance for such excellent advice, the essence of which (with a couple of exceptions) I follow to the letter.

It offers an interesting perspective to ponder how I would have viewed your advice, had I read it when I started on my (proper) watch collecting journey with my first CW back in 2012.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks Guy! When you have a chance please add your exceptions and as to why for a balanced discussion here :D
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Martin wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:55 am A most engaging and thought provoking post and thread. I realise that I have not been a watch collector, only someone who once wanted something other than another £25 Citizen quartz. The internet allows you to gaze at hundreds of watches without moving! Those of you over 60 like myself will remember having to travel into a town or city centre to look in a shop window. Even then the range on display would be tiny in comparison to today’s googlings. It was Google that brought me to CW and this forum. My watch knowledge was nil and I remain in debt to those fellow members that shared their experiences and expertise so freely and readily.

I think my watch journey is now almost over. I realise that all I could do now is buy another watch to sit in its box in a drawer.
I have enjoyed the journey considerably.
Thank you Martin! I've also thought my watch journey is over (blasphemy that I've actually gone 18 months not buying a watch) but then one comes along........maybe that will happen in your case?
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

albionphoto wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:45 pm Great Post Lance. Points 7, 8, 0 and 10 are particularly relevant to me.
Thanks Mark! Any bumps along the way (that you don't mind sharing) that have driven insights that you take to heart?
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

rkovars wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:44 pm
I went in the opposite direction. My most expensive watch was the first one I bought (almost 30 years ago). :lol:
Curious if I may; Did you plan the expensive watch purchase that way or simply bought a brilliant watch and it's still with you today?

What drives new purchases in 2020 for you?
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

strapline wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:16 am

Funny, eh. Why do we have the idea that expensive/luxury will be better. A well chosen watch that you have a connection with, that has accompanied you on many of life's journey's...well, in all probability...that's your grail watch right there.

Des
Succinctly and brilliantly summed up Des!!
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

MiniMpi wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:28 pm Lance I really enjoyed your post, highly interesting and makes a lot of sense too.

Thank you for the compliment by the way !
Thank you Ferg. If your comfortable, please share your thoughts on why CW has earned so much of your business? Other than your family's brilliant Rolex, what other brands have you tried and ultimately why did they move along? I still think you have it right!
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Viognier wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:36 pm Andrew thank you for your comments and I'll have to set up a Zoom call to connect and see how you decide your impulse purchases! :D I can learn from you, as mine bat about a 10% success rate!!
It will be a short zoom because I don’t know that I have anything to offer! :lol: :lol: :lol: If I could tell how I decide an impulse buy then I suppose it’s not an impulse buy, right?

On a serious note, the wedding purchase was partly driven by price. The C60 was simply out of the price range.

As for my C65 AM GT, it checked a number of boxes: chronograph with useful timing functions, not overly flashy, motorsport themed, price. The limited edition run was what sealed the deal.

No regrets with either.
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Viognier wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:55 pm
strapline wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:16 am

Funny, eh. Why do we have the idea that expensive/luxury will be better. A well chosen watch that you have a connection with, that has accompanied you on many of life's journey's...well, in all probability...that's your grail watch right there.

Des
Succinctly and brilliantly summed up Des!!
Thank you Lance. I think you started a good thread here. I find the 'wider' discussions and observations about watches and watch collecting really interesting. This forum is generally very good for that. :D

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:18 am Although I wouldn’t characterize myself as a watch collector, I can still recognize the brilliance of this post. All your points would apply just was well to guitars, which I have collected. I think every point you make is rock solid.

Interestingly, while I agree wholeheartedly with #8, and I am a notorious researcher and over thinker when it comes to big ticket purchases, it is NOT true of my two CW purchases. Both would definitely be considered impulse buys. As many on the forum know, my first CW was a wedding gift from my wife. When she offered to get me a watch, I went straight to the CW website to look at C60 Tridents, which I’d been admiring from afar for years. Then I sent her a link to the C65 Trident Vintage which I had never seen until I discovered it that very night. No regrets at all.

Second purchase was the C65 AM GT LE. The desire for a chronograph WAS NOT an impulse, but that particular one most certainly was. Again, no regrets.

Great post! I can’t wait to see what other sage advice others add.
Interesting that you have "GAS" (Guitar acquisition syndrome) ..... My son has it.... 9 so far.... and he has flipped a couple or 3, he's just booked himself on a course to make them now !!! he is worse talking about guitars than we are about watches !!
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

strapline wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:55 pm I find the 'wider' discussions and observations about watches and watch collecting really interesting. This forum is generally very good for that. :D
I’m really pleased that you find that, Des. We do seem to have a few threads at the moment which have stimulated some really thoughtful and well constructed posts. A pleasure to read and to join in with. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

I myself am finding my obsession with watches very frustrating, let me give you an example.

My wife wants a pathetic lamp to stick in the corner of the lounge, and a new one for the dinning room (yes we have both and are posh ...init). it will set us back about £500 for the two she wants....£500 blinking heck....for a couple of lamps, and now she wants a new led xmas tree for the other corner... a rip roaring £22.99. I am expected to put up with this complete waste of money....and can't buy that new "blue ocean watch which is a bargain, limited ed, and a viable replacement for when my Seiko monster eventually gives up .... I give up.... please help confused, and miffed in the New Forest..... it's almost worth walking out in this horrible storm saying " I may be a little while"

They don't understand us!

(Should I have put this on the "Rant"/ "Grumpy" threads :)
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Viognier wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:59 pm Thank you Ferg. If your comfortable, please share your thoughts on why CW has earned so much of your business? Other than your family's brilliant Rolex, what other brands have you tried and ultimately why did they move along? I still think you have it right!
As most of you know, my proper interest in horology started back in 2011 with my first CW.
Since then I have accumulated a few.... :lol:
The brand and style of watch just suit me I guess.
Value for money at the time was certainly a major factor but also the quality that you got for your money.
This has changed slightly over the years with CW but these two main attributes hold true for CW even today.
Another major factor is that I really like when someone asks about your watch and have never heard of CW, they are way more exclusive than most 'good' brands out there and I love that. You 99% won't see another one.

I have dabbled in other brands, Seiko, Bulova to name two, maybe there was more but at the end of the day I always went back to CW, they just suit me.

Saying that, I could in future, all money dependent of course, be in the market for an Omega.
This brand has always grabbed me in a similar way to CW, more the style of watches this time and definitely the quality aspect.
But it would more than likely mean selling the majority of my collection which I'm slow to do.
Which bring me to another reason I like CW, in that you can have say 4 styles of quality watches to choose from in your collection to say just one 'good' brand, Omega etc.
I like the huge choice I have in my 'vast' collection to be able to look at it like a sweet shop window and go "Yes I think I'll go with this one today".

That about sums CW up for why I am a fan of them I guess.