Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Buying a spare bracelet?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^Understood, Mick. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

A good bracelet will last a long time and can be restored if really necessary (I too wore a Rolex on a bracelet everyday for 25 years with plenty of life left in it) so I would agree that buying a spare is overkill. But the QR version would be great to have if only because it allows strap changes without possibility of damaging the bracelet/lugs. If I were you I would bide my time and try to pick one up in a sale, on the forum with a WTB or find one on ebay - no pressure to rush into it.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

H0rati0 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:16 pm If I were you I would bide my time and try to pick one up in a sale, on the forum with a WTB or find one on ebay - no pressure to rush into it.
That’s definitely the way to go here. Solid advice. I bet a bracelet might show up in the big January sale.
Drew
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

When buying a suit I've occasionally purchased a second pair of trousers, or pants for the American folk! This is because I think the trousers will wear out before the jacket and to have a second pair gives me that peace of mind. I did it because I liked the suit and could afford to but I also now have pairs that I've never worn...

Back to watches! If you want the peace of mind, can afford it and intend to keep the watch for a long time, why not. Especially if it is your key watch and you don't want to spend that money on something else. I think the bracelet will pass the test of time and not break so it really comes down to your taste and personal tolerance of dings and scratches.

If you are from the school of thought that slight damage is a sign of good times and memories maybe don't bother. But if you are one of those (like me) that hate any sign of damage and want to keep the pristine look for as long as possible, go for it.
diciannove79
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by diciannove79 »

I appreciate everyone's input! I like the idea of getting the new bracelet not just as a spare, but perhaps as an "upgrade" with the QR feature. Even though I prefer keeping the watch on the bracelet, I can already think of several situations in the past where it would have been handy to quickly swap to a leather strap, especially when traveling to a special occasion. I have a tweezer tool that makes it easy to remove and reconnect the bracelet, but a QR bracelet would save me the hassle of packing tools when traveling.

I think I'll wait for any Black Friday discounts this month or sales early next year. Thanks again for all your help! :D
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

diciannove79 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:32 pm I think I'll wait for any Black Friday discounts this month or sales early next year. Thanks again for all your help! :D
Sound thinking there! :thumbup:
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

If you do get a QR bracelet, consider also getting a vintage oak leather strap in camel. Tan straps pair wonderfully with the faux vintage lume color. For a totally different look, you could put on a black hybrid, rubber/silicone, or leather strap. I was surprised how much the character of the watch changed by changing my black hybrid to a cheaper tan suede strap. Enjoy!
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
ScofieldReturns
Senior
Senior

Post by ScofieldReturns »

The QR and quick microadjust is worth it imo, super convenient. That said, i remember hearing rumors they were updating the bracelet? The new version would use screws instead of pins. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If you decide to buy, wait until black friday, there should be a hefty site wide discount that would allow you to get the bracelet for the best price
diciannove79
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by diciannove79 »

ScofieldReturns wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:36 am The QR and quick microadjust is worth it imo, super convenient. That said, i remember hearing rumors they were updating the bracelet? The new version would use screws instead of pins. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If you decide to buy, wait until black friday, there should be a hefty site wide discount that would allow you to get the bracelet for the best price
Oh, thanks for the heads up! I have not heard these rumors, but am definitely interested in knowing if they are switching over to screws. If anyone has any inside information from showroom visits or other conversations, I would love to know. :thumbup:
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

ScofieldReturns wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:36 am The QR and quick microadjust is worth it imo, super convenient. That said, i remember hearing rumors they were updating the bracelet? The new version would use screws instead of pins. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If you decide to buy, wait until black friday, there should be a hefty site wide discount that would allow you to get the bracelet for the best price
I have done a bracelet update for my C60 SH21. I highly recommend doing it if the cost is within your expectations. I find the QR and especially the micro-adjust make the new bracelets so much more useable than the old ones. I always struggle with bracelet sizing and for me the micro adjust is definitely worth it.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris