Help finding particular watch strap

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
J0EMI
Senior
Senior

Help finding particular watch strap

Post by J0EMI »

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased the C65 Trident Bronze Ombré (my first CW) and I have been looking for a more suitable strap to wear with it over the vintage oak strap that it came with, as I find the 'distressed' look seems a little bit too forced rather than a subtle vintage style to compliment the watch. I have seen on some other forums straps that I really like the look of, but I haven't been able to track them down myself, particularly straps which have a bronze buckle to match the bronze case (though if need be I can take the bronze buckle off my C65 strap). Below you will see two of the straps I have seen on other forums which I think particularly suit the vintage look of the watch that I'm looking to try and find to purchase, ideally leather of high quality which is quite long lasting. Any help in finding something similar would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance!

CW C65 Bronze Trident.jpg
50376111402_b45f0c115f_b.jpg
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Attached photo 'Placed in Line' - https://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55242
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Re: Help finding particular watch strap

Post by Viognier »

Really like the watch strap combination in the first picture!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
J0EMI
Senior
Senior

Post by J0EMI »

Viognier wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:54 pm Really like the watch strap combination in the first picture!
Me too! I think it really gives that vintage 'explorer' look that I'm looking for in this watch.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I think your solution is closer to home than you might realise, in that, as far as I can tell on my phone's small screen, both are CW straps.

The first / upper one being a regular, non-distressed, Vintage Oak, and the second an early (Chr.Ward logo era) non-lined Tiber.

Good luck.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

You could always try WatchGecko
...a quick search brought up these 3 possibilities: ...and I just found this one in the sale section:
Dedworth Distresso Cowhide Quick Release Watch Strap https://www.watchgecko.com/dedworth-dis ... atch-strap
(I've just ordered 20mm and 22mm lug width straps in the Distressed Brown)
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

I think it would be hard to improve upon the first combo above. Good luck in your search.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

I agree that both of those examples look great.
Had a similar issue trying to find something suitable for a C60 bronze..

Can recommend Italian Vintage leather straps from Sydney Strap Co:
https://www.thesydneystrapco.com/collec ... ece-straps
or
Mansarea via Etsy as mentioned recently by @Qubo on the NCWoD thread for another type of strap:
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/MANSAREA

I found it difficult to find anyone with a vintage leather strap that I liked and a bronze buckle to suit, so I ordered the strap and the buckle separately and swapped the bronze buckle onto the leather strap that I wanted. There are a number of sellers on ebay that offer bronze buckles.

I found it important to be aware of the thickness of the strap in relation to the lug size and how flat the watch lies on the wrist - sometimes the strap can just look too thick (or too thin) for the watch accordingly.

Best of luck with the strap hunting..

cheers
Ian
J0EMI
Senior
Senior

Post by J0EMI »

Thank you for all your replies :thumbup:
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I have a "normal" CW bronze trident. It came on the blue hybrid, but I tend to wear it on NATO's. I have loads of different colours, and they all seem to look good to me, I bought some very bright (neon type colours) and although they aren't blue, I still like them. I would try a NATO or two. A plain black seat belt fabric would probably look great against the ombre, and would only cost a few quid to try.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I got round to taking a photo of my bronze with a vivid Nato strap, and with a much calmer plain blue Nato.
IMG_20201112_105146161~2.jpg
IMG_20201112_110023157_HDR~2.jpg
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

J0EMI wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:14 pm Hello everyone,

Below you will see two of the straps I have seen on other forums which I think particularly suit the vintage look of the watch that I'm looking to try and find to purchase, ideally leather of high quality which is quite long lasting. Any help in finding something similar would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance!

Hello JOEMI....do update us on your strap search, especially for strap #1? did it turn out to be the CW Vintage Oak strap?
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
J0EMI
Senior
Senior

Post by J0EMI »

Viognier wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:04 pm
J0EMI wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:14 pm Hello everyone,

Below you will see two of the straps I have seen on other forums which I think particularly suit the vintage look of the watch that I'm looking to try and find to purchase, ideally leather of high quality which is quite long lasting. Any help in finding something similar would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance!

Hello JOEMI....do update us on your strap search, especially for strap #1? did it turn out to be the CW Vintage Oak strap?
It turns out the strap is not a CW strap but as mentioned, very similar to the Vintage Oak CW strap. I've come to the conclusion that if I want to buy a vintage strap with a bronze buckle, the only way to do so would be to get the buckle separately or swap out the buckle on the distressed vintage oak strap.

I will most likely opt for the CW vintage oak strap in Tan, though I am keen to have multiple straps to swap out with this one - maybe try it out with a black canvas webbing strap or a hybrid with reinforced buckle holes.
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

J0EMI wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:12 pm
I will most likely opt for the CW vintage oak strap in Tan, though I am keen to have multiple straps to swap out with this one - maybe try it out with a black canvas webbing strap or a hybrid with reinforced buckle holes.
Funnily enough, I earlier posted a photo of my ombré that I’ve just put on a canvas strap.

Trying not to buy any more watches...
J0EMI
Senior
Senior

Post by J0EMI »

The canvas strap looks great, I'm a little hesitant about the price though! Unless there is a certain build quality to it that justifies the price. In my experience fabric straps can fray, though looking at your picture there it does look very durable, and comfortable!
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

J0EMI wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:28 pm The canvas strap looks great, I'm a little hesitant about the price though! Unless there is a certain build quality to it that justifies the price. In my experience fabric straps can fray, though looking at your picture there it does look very durable, and comfortable!
I can’t talk for the black canvas, but I’ve had a tan canvas one for a while on another C65. It’s stood the test of time well. This one appears to be of similar quality.

As for price, I purchased mine from a forum friend. :thumbup:
Trying not to buy any more watches...