Does this sound a bit daft?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Does this sound a bit daft?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Resenting a watch? What a strange thing to discuss. :problem:

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love my MeisterSinger.

21E049AE-2DF7-4182-9980-E72B8F521B9F.jpeg
It’s a really lovely watch and was bought with a very specific idea in mind. It’s just that at the moment I find it quite difficult to live with.

I took the chance back in May when CW were offering MeisterSinger watches and bought this one specifically as a retirement present to myself. The idea was that it would be a really simple and fun travel watch for those trips when it really wasn’t necessary to count the minutes. It would also be a great watch for long lazy days in summer.

But of course, we’ve had a problem, haven’t we Houston? Travel hasn’t been happening. So the watch hasn’t been able thus far to fulfil its intended purpose. All this was fine back in July and August, when we had a lot of lovely warm sunny weather. Even three weeks ago I took a deckchair out into the garden for most of the day, sat there reading a book with the shirt off and this was the watch I was tending to wear.

Suddenly autumn has taken hold and I have found the watch increasingly difficult to wear, because it just seems to be there as a reminder of the things I wanted to do but can’t. It was supposed to have gone on a summer holiday by now. I had one in mind for late October in the Greek islands as well but that won’t be happening either. I don’t even know if I can get to Cyprus at Christmas right now.

I think feelings have been compounded by the fact that I have more time on my hands. Although I am doing research for my books, studying Greek and still keeping my hand in with a small amount of teaching, I know that I need to find things to fill my time. The transition from being constantly busy and at the centre of something has not been that easy in the current climate. I have almost automatically sought out one particular watch over these last few weeks – my trusty Speedmaster. I have barely worn anything else.

I know that things will improve. I’m sure that we will get through this crisis somehow and look back on it very much the wiser. And personally I’m pretty resilient. I think I should put the MeisterSinger away for a few weeks. Out of sight out of mind until a clearer picture emerges of how things are going to pan out. One thing I know; it’s definitely not the One Watch to Rule Them All, but I still intend to have some fun with it when things improve.

Sorry to go on about this, but I think it might strike a chord with one or two people. And I know that only on a watch forum would I find people with the remotest likelihood of understanding it.

Thanks. 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Re: Does this sound a bit daft?

Post by kiter65 »

Put it away and gift it to yourself on the first holiday you go on :thumbup:
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

I’m thinking you should wear the watch as a reminder of not what you have lost, but of the life you enjoy.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

That watch, as will most of our collective mountain, will outlive this pandemic. Its time will come.

My collection of GMTs & Worldtimers have not been used in anger since February. I still wear them, and they still bring a smile to my face, as I hope they will do for many years.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

These are frustrating times for us all. Your suggestion makes sense and you will enjoy wearing it all the more in due course.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

Daft, maybe. Understandable, yes. :D

To be honest Steve, I sat at home for 5 months wondering if there was any point in owning any of my decent watches.
The fact that my life had become more simple since March made me contemplate whether my watch collection should follow suit.
At one stage I really did consider selling them.

I still feel the same sentiment to some degree even after returning to work, mainly triggered by us not having any clear end in sight.

BUT, as we all know too well, this addiction is nigh on impossible to kick and therefore, to cheer myself up ...

I have a "little" incoming tomorrow and one I'm rather excited about :lol:

Now, to genuinely have the feelings I have described above and to continue purchasing watches ... that's daft!
Ryan
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

kiter65 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:02 pm Put it away and gift it to yourself on the first holiday you go on :thumbup:
I second this advice! Given the current circumstance, since the watch was bought for travel, but it away until you can travel again. Otherwise it’s just a constant reminder that things are not unfolding as you had envisioned.

The issue is a perfect storm of life changing events: retirement, pandemic, travel restrictions! Not the watch! It would be a shame if the frustrations of our current situation got transferred to the watch.

And wear the Speedy without reservation. My guess is it’s a source of comfort, familiarity, and stability at a time where those things are sorely lacking.
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Let's be honest watches are emotive objects, we transfer experience and association on to them, probably because they routinely accompany us as we go about experiencing life, whatever that looks like for each of us. Right now, in the midst of the virus, we feel like we're in a dark, austere, unfamiliar place; that's probably why you're drawn to your Speedmaster - we may all as well be on the surface of the moon. Try looking on your watch in a different light, making different associations; it plans to serve you well no matter the prevailing mood of you and the whole world right now.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Amor Vincit Omnia

Thanks for the feedback. This probably sums it up for me...
jkbarnes wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:39 pm The issue is a perfect storm of life changing events: retirement, pandemic, travel restrictions! Not the watch! It would be a shame if the frustrations of our current situation got transferred to the watch.

And wear the Speedy without reservation. My guess is it’s a source of comfort, familiarity, and stability at a time where those things are sorely lacking.
Thanks, Andrew. I've been fine these last few months. Maybe fretting about a watch is a little release valve for me. And you're right, for some reason the Speedy does represent the values you suggest.

I have put the MS away for a while and will continue to wear the Speedy, interspersed with a couple of others.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
drand
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by drand »

Sad to hear the MS was giving negative vibes. I've enjoyed reading your posts about how you've been getting on with it since March. But, it seems you have followed some really good advice to give it some some time away; I'm sure once you feel the time is right for it to make a return then it will once again inspire good feelings.

As for wearing the Speedy more often than not, well that just shows what an excellent piece it to be able to turn to. Long may you enjoy it.
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fat-Sam »

I understand it- and actually resent a watch I don’t own!

I’d been unofficially told I was getting an Explorer/sub/Reverso for my 40th in July but owing to covid related job losses and such it didn’t materialise, I was then offered an Explorer by the AD and encouraged to get it, which I did, but when I got it home was met with a barrage of negativity 😂 I then sold it to keep a happy home and consequently whenever I see one I resent the watch and my missus 😂 I’ve even had to unfollow people on Instagram who keep putting pictures of their lovely Explorers up. It’s now made me want a Reverso over any Rolex as I feel that along with the price/availability annoyances of rolex... I need a clean break.

So good news is yes I completely get it and sympathise but the downside is you might just be as mad as me...

PS I love that MS but have a few watches for purposes and would be happy to leave my G shock or holiday watches on the side until needed so I’d advise to not force it until you want to wear it again. Let it be a dance not a fight 😂😂 (incredible how we talk about watches haha)
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

strapline wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:32 am Let's be honest watches are emotive objects, we transfer experience and association on to them...
This! I think this expresses in a nutshell why we all collect and wear mechanical watches.
Drew
Westwardbound

Post by Westwardbound »

I ordered a baby Dreadnought from Timefactors - with all the effort that requires - ahead of planned a much-anticipated planned holiday to Corfu. That holiday didn't happen for obvious reasons. I can't bring myself to open the packaging at this point. Maybe I'll feel differently at Christmas, or perhaps I'll keep it unopened until the next time we are able to holiday overseas.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Update. After leaving the Meistersinger in the box for a few weeks, I decided to wear it today. I took it out on a nice long walk and came to a few conclusions.

It was all psychological, of course. Having really enjoyed the watch over the summer and most of September, the weather turned pretty bad and I think that affected my mood. I hadn’t really sorted out what I was doing and time was hanging pretty heavy. I needed to see time moving, and of course with this watch that’s rather difficult.

Anyway, I’ve been doing a bit of extra time at work this week to cover for someone, so it was nice to be free on a Friday when the weather also happened to be lovely.

My conclusions. This is definitely a Sunshine watch. It’s thrives in bright weather, when I tend to feel better and more relaxed.

It is also a watch for times of idleness. I have no problem with idleness on holidays, at weekends and at various other times. My idea of a holiday is doing very little by a pool for a couple of weeks in a nice hot country. When that happens again, this will be the perfect companion.

All sorted. We are friends again.

95016033-B473-4613-AB34-70F9A4A6991B.jpeg
Steve

Amor Vincit Omnia

Another day, another nice walk, another outing for this lovely watch.

Steve