What would you want the Dress Apex or Aviation Apex to look like?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
tralls
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 10

What would you want the Dress Apex or Aviation Apex to look like?

Post by tralls »

I figured I would see what people think the next Apex should look like. From Loupe, we know they are doing four different Apex models to celebrate the SH21. It will be motorsports (C7 Apex), Dive (C60 Apex), Dress, and Aviation. We also know that Armin Strom worked on both models. I was expecting one this year, but we have not seen it yet. As such, I figured it might be fun to describe what we might think is the perfect next Apex model.

Here are my two dream Apex models:

Aviation Model -
Case Style: C1 Case (We already have two C8 powered SH21 models in the aviation line. I want to see something like the C1 Morgan) Runner up would be the C65 case because I would love to see an Aviation/Diver mix.
Case Material: Bronze (I like the black C1 Morgan, but black has already been done on the C7 Apex. Bronze would give it a vintage aviation vibe and also make it sexy.)
Size: 40.5mm (I believe that is standard C1)
Dial: I defer to Armin Strom.
Movement: SH21 (only real requirement)
*Movement Features: Small Seconds, Power Reserve, and Automatic (An opportunity for Armin Strom to create something new and cool. Also an opportunity to create a Bronze rotor. :D )
Hands: I like the ones on the C1 Morgan.

Dress Model -
Case Style: C9 Case (Since the Apex line is all about paying respect to the SH21, this case design pays homage to the original C9 Harrison 5 Day which was the first watch by CW to feature the SH21.)
Case Material: Sterling Silver. (CW likes to keep prices within a reasonable range and silver is unexpected, but affordable. Though gold and platinum are appropriate for the top line watch made by CW, silver would be really fun and also a precious metal. It would pay homage to old pocket watches which were frequently silver. It would also add a little fun and do something that not many other companies are doing.)
Size: 43mm (I believe that is standard C9)
Dial: I defer to Armin Strom, but it would be cool in Silver. (I really like the dial from the original C9 Jumping hour, but Armin Strom want to do their thing and I respect that.)
Movement: SH21 (only real requirement)
*Movement Features: Small Seconds, Power Reserve, Hand wound (An opportunity for Armin Strom to show off the double barrel again. The C60 Apex was cool, but the barrels were capped. The C7 Apex had open barrels and that was pretty neat.)
Hands: The hands from the C1 Worldtimer have a great classic/modern look.

Let me know what you think of my list and please share yours!

*NOTE:[/b] I want to note that the prior two Apex models feature only Power Reserve functions. I think this is fine, but the next two need to show off the other feature of the SH21 and that is the ability to have a small seconds hand. Aviation and dress do really well with small second hands.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: What would you want the Dress Apex or Aviation Apex to look like?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Dress model. What the description says. Small enough and slim enough to be worn comfortably and discreetly under a cuff (so not a 43 mm can of tuna, please). If you’re going to expose the workings, no garish colours please. Keep it understated. That’s all I ask.

Aviation model. Couldn’t give a fig. Not my thing.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

There are few credible rumours about the next Apex. It was supposed to be a C1 Apex dress watch and released May-ish 2021. This project seems to have gone dark, maybe delayed due to Covid or delayed due to technical issues. There were hints that it would have a different design language compared to the C7 and C60 apices but no details were given.
I already have my name down for this and CW know I have the C7 and C60 Apex, I'm just waiting for the call for my credit card number.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
tralls
Junior
Junior

Post by tralls »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:47 am Dress model. What the description says. Small enough and slim enough to be worn comfortably and discreetly under a cuff (so not a 43 mm can of tuna, please). If you’re going to expose the workings, no garish colours please. Keep it understated. That’s all I ask.

Aviation model. Couldn’t give a fig. Not my thing.
I totally agree the C9 is a tuna can. I only thought it was a good choice because of the SH21's history with it. I would also be down for a slim C5 case.
alanrolfe01
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 25

Post by alanrolfe01 »

Do they mean four different looks or four different strap/bracelet combinations for one case?
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

They mean four separate watches. The first was based on the C7 case, the second was based on the C60 case and the third is supposed to be based on the C1 case. I don't think that anyone really knows what the fourth one will be based on anymore.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
alanrolfe01
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 25

Post by alanrolfe01 »

That means there will be a large number of 2020 new models in the CW range by the end of the year. Despite the Management change and the Covid effect it's still a HUGE task that they will have completed.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I can't begin to imagine what an Apex dress watch would look like. Power reserve on its own has already been done. You could stick a big blue bridge over the top of the PR indicator as per other Apex models, but then it ceases to be a dress watch.

I'm really interested in seeing what they come up with.
Ryan