Is the Super Compressor technology technically relevant?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by joerattz »

Haven't really paid much attention to CW watches for awhile. I recently received an email promoting the C65 Super Compressor. I thought it was quite handsome and that the super compressor technology was interesting. But, if the super compressor technology is relevant due to its technical merit, as opposed to merely itts historical intrigue, why is the water resistance of the C65 Super Compressor rated so low? Were it not for the oddity of the super compressor technology, I can't see a diver with a 150m water resistance rating succeeding at it's price point in the market.

What am I missing?
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: Is the Super Compressor technology technically relevant?

Post by albionphoto »

This is a vanity engineering exercise. It's not technologically or even technically relevant in any way what so ever. It's just a rather lovely dive watch.
Attachments
C65 SC 24.jpg
C65 SC 17.jpg
C65 SC 16.jpg
C65 SC 14.jpg
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Evening, Joe. Good question. As Mark says, it’s an exercise in “Because We Can”.

But I suppose when you think of the sheer number of dive watches that never go near water, not to mention the chronographs that are never used to time anything, then I guess you’d say it doesn’t really matter all that much.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Given that it has the same WR as the regular C65 I wouldn't disagree with you. It seems a lot of effort for no improvement.

While that sounds a bit negative, it IS a lovely thing.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by joerattz »

I agree and think it is very handsome. However as a fan of dive watches despite me not diving in them, I very much like the freedom I feel while wearing them of not having to worry about them. And I do take them in the water, pool and ocean, even though I don't dive. But, I sure have a hard time coughing up the money for one versus my 200 meter WR Seiko monster for a mere fraction of the price.

I wonder if CW would consider the same watch without the SC but with a more hardy WR like 300M or higher? That would be more desirable to me.
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

It’s not about competing with a Rolex Sea Dweller for plumbing the depths, it’s about recreating an historical, horological technology!
Steve.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I think the 300M diver would be the C60. These days some Seiko divers are getting up to CW's prices.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

joerattz wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:23 pm
What am I missing?
Nothing. It is a marketing gimmick to sell more watches.

In a crowded market, one needs to be able to stand out.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

exHowfener wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:21 pm While that sounds a bit negative, it IS a lovely thing.
Do you mean the new C65 Compressor is a lovely thing or choosing to NOT chase a higher depth rating that probably wouldn't even be needed by wearers is a lovely thing?

I'd agree on both points.

albionphoto wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:36 pm This is a vanity engineering exercise. It's not technologically or even technically relevant in any way what so ever. It's just a rather lovely dive watch.
Your pics make me want to buy this watch! They show the watch off much better than CWs own pics. I love the darker dial of yours over the blue so many others seem to love.
Drew
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

No, but who cares?

It’s a good looking watch that is trying to stand out in a crowded market place.

Reviving the technology to try and gain a marketing edge, nothing wrong with that.

Just look at it as a marketing ploy, in the same way that a watch with an HEV or WR of more than say 200m is a marketing ploy, with no practical benefit for the army of desk dwellers whose wrists such watches are likely to adorn.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

It's strange though, because I would have thought that the technical nature of the case construction, would have improved the WR of itself. Maybe the weak (weakest) point is the crystals rather than the case itself. That would make sense.

It's s bit similar to an arch being greater than the sum of its parts because of the angled stones, and the keystone locking it together. Increasing the pressure just solidifies the arch.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

At one time so-called tool watches were developed to perform functional tasks in certain highly specific situations, mainly military and sporting. Obviously I’m thinking of things like a professional dive watches, chronographs, oversized pilot watches that could be strapped on the outside of a flying jacket. I have a feeling that they started to become must-have watches for the general public at around the time as they were beginning to fade into obsolescence in the professional circles for which they had been created.

I wear a chronograph regularly myself. I may occasionally use it to time something, like when I go out on a regular walking circuit, but most of the time I simply wear it because it’s a nice watch.

Find a watch catalogue from the early 1970s or even the 1960s by a brand like Omega, and you would be amazed at how little of the space was occupied by tool watches. We just have more choice nowadays, and in many cases more leisure and disposable income to indulge our flights of fancy with things we don’t really need...

Sorry, I’ll be back soon. Houston needs me to time the engine burn right now, because we had to power down the computer.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

Albionphoto....they are great photo's I agree better than the CW phots

Joeratz you are obviously a man of taste, my "Orange Monster" is my day to day watch, and has had a battering once or twice, bought from the fleabay for about £85 a few years ago now, and going strong.

I am looking forward to CW's new watches coming up soon, and wondering what they may have to tempt me to parting with some of my "watch fund"

That compressor looks good though, and for sad folk like us an interesting talking point of "usefulness" ..... who cares? it's a nice "thing"
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Like a couple of others here, i almost dismissed this watch as being not really of any point to me. The tech albeit superb, does nothing for me and the look from the official photos was a bit..... ish!
Based on that i quickly dismissed this in favour of the lympstone, as in my life, id see myself wearing the lympstone for daily/work/outdoor/smart etc so was by far a better buy.

This review and especially photos has very definitely shown it in a new light to me and has created a problem that didnt exist.... super compeessor or lympstone...?!?!?!?!

Its a nice problem to have so thanks...!!!
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Great to see Joe still checking out CW and still posting albeit infrequently.

Probably our longest serving (and posting) member.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)