PVD

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

PVD

Post by Soporsche »

HI all, this may seem like a dumb question but... how long does a PVD coating last? I have always steered clear of watches with a PVD case as assumed they would scratch, wear, generally deteriorate (of course it assumes I would keep it long enough which maybe unlikely).

Whats the concensus and experience of those of you that own, have owned them?
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
MadG
Senior
Senior

Re: PVD

Post by MadG »

Hi Stephen

I have 2 x pvd watches for about 2.5 - 3 years now.
So far there is no deterioration whatsoever. I should also add that I am generally careful with my stuff including watches.

Thanks
MadG
Attachments
24C9A79D-ACE9-4CA0-8DB6-F563F57EED33.jpeg
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

A great question Stephen,

I’ve avoided PVD watches for the very same reasons.

I will be very interested in the responses.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I imagine a watch worn every day would wear rather more quickly than one worn in rotation. Overall any old watch will show marks commensurate with age, and a slightly faded finish is not so different to other signs of aging, I think. My wife has her late father's tissot, (inexpensive gold quartz) which must be 30 years old. I replaced a cracked flat crystal, and it now looks really nice, and she wears it occasionally. The case is steel, just the bezel and crown are gold.
IMG_20201001_113826987~2.jpg
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Tortoise »

I have a (nearly) 2 year old Elliot Brown Holton that has been gardening, biking, running, swimming, camping, kayaking, etc, with me. I definitely don't baby it - that's not to say that I mistreat it - I just concentrate on the activity and don't think about the watch at all. Despite plenty of sun and water exposure and a number of scrapes/knocks, I'm pleased to say it is in good condition with no sign of UV fade or worn edges so far... I have marked one of the lugs changing a strap however - a result of my own clumsiness with the tool. :oops:
IMG_7882.jpg
Overall, I'm very pleased with it - the PVD has exceeded my expectations. One issue that is probably worth investigating is whether all PVD coatings are the same? Are some better than others?
regards
Ian
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

What I don't like about any coating of any quality is that once it is worn or damaged, the base material colour shows through and the jig is up. To me any discussion on hardness or longevity is thus irrelevant.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Tortoise wrote:I have a (nearly) 2 year old Elliot Brown Holton that has been gardening, biking, running, swimming, camping, kayaking, etc, with me. I definitely don't baby it - that's not to say that I mistreat it - I just concentrate on the activity and don't think about the watch at all. Despite plenty of sun and water exposure and a number of scrapes/knocks, I'm pleased to say it is in good condition with no sign of UV fade or worn edges so far... I have marked one of the lugs changing a strap however - a result of my own clumsiness with the tool. :oops:
IMG_7882.jpg
Overall, I'm very pleased with it - the PVD has exceeded my expectations. One issue that is probably worth investigating is whether all PVD coatings are the same? Are some better than others?
regards
Yes, some are definitely better than others.

Elliot Brown are pretty unambiguous in the specification of the PVD on the Holton;-

"Case: 316L stainless, anti reflective gunmetal PVD, treated with an anti-fingerprint coating that naturally repels mud and grime. PVD thickness 0.8 microns so it wears beautifully for years - the maximum possible thickness without loss of definition on case detailing (approx twice the industry standard thickness). Every watch is individually pressure tested to 200m at several points during production."

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
b00ndocksaint
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by b00ndocksaint »

I think a decent PVD finish will last you for a long time, but will depend on what you're doing with your watch, how you wear it etc. I've only a DLC coated watch, which is more durable and harder than PVD - I put that thing through some serious use and have never had an issue. Thankfully I don't mind wear on my watches, as it's a sign of use rather than keeping them pristine - but that's not for everyone
Rolex Sub 116610LN / Tudor BB58 / Omega Seamaster 300M Pro 2531.80.00 / Breitling Avenger II Blackbird / Vintage 50s Omega / Bremont S501 / C60 Bronze / C60 Abyss / C65 / Dreyfuss Co 1974 / Vostok Amphibias / Skagen 234XXLT / Zelos Mako Bronze
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

H0rati0 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:15 pm What I don't like about any coating of any quality is that once it is worn or damaged, the base material colour shows through and the jig is up. To me any discussion on hardness or longevity is thus irrelevant.
I think any well applied PVD or DLC coating is more than capable of taking serious abuse without being compromised. I have two watches with a PVD coating and neither has come close to exposing the base stainless steel. I feel confident that I would have to tread said watches as if they were a blacksmith's anvil before I had any grave concerns. I love a black coated finish, but I guess it's not for everyone.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

strapline wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:47 pm
H0rati0 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:15 pm What I don't like about any coating of any quality is that once it is worn or damaged, the base material colour shows through and the jig is up. To me any discussion on hardness or longevity is thus irrelevant.
I think any well applied PVD or DLC coating is more than capable of taking serious abuse without being compromised. I have two watches with a PVD coating and neither has come close to exposing the base stainless steel. I feel confident that I would have to tread said watches as if they were a blacksmith's anvil before I had any grave concerns. I love a black coated finish, but I guess it's not for everyone.
Fair enough. My only experience is with a 20 year old specimen in PVD (I don't doubt that coatings have got better) which is worn through on the shape changes and as for gold plate - utter rubbish. I shall be sticking with my "solid only" philosophy as honest scratches I can (just about) live with.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Interesting experiences thanks, I suspected that all PVD cases are not the same and EB's specification seems to hold up very well.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I’ve had mixed results with PVD and DLC cases, probably a mixture of luck and paranoia, Image but the base steel does show through once the coating is damaged, and there’s little to nothing that can be done about that.

One of the better ideas with PVD coatings is to pre-distress them. Depending on how well it’s done, it can look great or so-so. Mido have done some very good examples and this Valimor is one that I think uses that method to great effect. Any additional marks are unlikely to be overly noticeable.

CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
GreenHighlander

Post by GreenHighlander »

I don’t have experience with PVD on a watch but I do with it on a firearm. In that application, I have found it to be disappointing. It is far less durable than many other finishes and looks prematurely worn. Based on that, my personal choice has been to steer clear of PVD coating on a watch I will scratch more frequently than a pistol.
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

My SLR Rifle i had when in the Marines was rubbish, but then it was treated to a harsh life, once the coating came off it rusted like buggery, so I have never been tempted.

However when you see an old divers watch with "scuffs" on it.....they make it look "loved" and used....which they should be :)
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

I’m looking to remove a PVD coating....any suggestions :D