Dartmouth black dial: screw down crown ?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Dartmouth black dial: screw down crown ?

Post by Blackdog »

Hello,

I was considering a birthday gift to myself and the black dial Dartmouth looked promising,.

In the website all the black dial versions are described as having a screw down crown in the list of features, while all the blue dial version's appear as having a push-in crown.

Is this correct or some kind of typo?

Thanks for the clarification.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Dartmouth black dial: screw down crown ?

Post by Thegreyman »

I have the blue Dartmouth and it does not have a screw down crown.

I am fairly certain that is a typo and that the black Dartmouth has the same crown arrangement, in fact all the C65 Trident divers I thought had push in crowns only.

Hopefully an owner of a black one can confirm 100% for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

Thanks for chiming in !

Looking forward to receiving confirmation from owners of the black...

I also asked CW via the contact form of the website, but have asked things before and never got an answer through that channel...

I still want to believe. The black Dartmouths are all in pre-order, could it be a change on the new batches ?

The other C65 that seems to have a screw down crown is the GMT Worldtimer.... and the new SC, but that's a completely different case.

Let's see. I would only be interested in the black if it indeed has a screw down crown.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thegreyman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:21 am I am fairly certain that is a typo...
How unusual.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

The new red bezel C65 Trident Automatic also lists a screw down crown. I'm also wondering if they changed the case.

Edit: The blue dial with a tropic strap doesn't list crown type.

Edit II: I have a black faced Dartmouth MK 1. It does not have a screw down crown. This was added, of course, after Kips info :thumbup:
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I'm not sure about the particular models you are discussing, but I can't see the point of having a screw down crown on a manual wind watch, such as the c65 vintage.

Technically though, I don't think you actually need a screw down crown for a watch to be waterproof. I would trust CW WR ratings, in any event, although I am not too fussed, as I won't be taking watches in water.
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

JAFO wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:39 pm I'm not sure about the particular models you are discussing, but I can't see the point of having a screw down crown on a manual wind watch, such as the c65 vintage.

Technically though, I don't think you actually need a screw down crown for a watch to be waterproof. I would trust CW WR ratings, in any event, although I am not too fussed, as I won't be taking watches in water.
We're discussing the Autos, the manual winders have been discontinued. I concur, on the manual winders is the way to go, but the autos are in close competition with the likes of the Oris 65, which has a screw down crown. So, in a way, it would make sense if they gradually upgrade the C65 line to screw-down crowns, and it would probably make sense too if they try to do it quietly... But it can also be a bunch of typos for all we know.

A screw down crown primary function is to avoid movement on the stem underwater. It's an extra security measure. I plan to wear the watch in water if I buy it. Probably even diving. That is why I would only be interested if it has a screw down crown now.

By now I would have expected that someone with the black faced Dartmouth would have joined the discussion... Maybe not many out there ?

Yesterday morning I picked up the phone and called the number that appears in the top of the webpage... A very nice lady took my call, but couldn't get hold of any of the technical support people (too early, she said. Would arrive in 1/2 hour). So she proposed to get back to me by mail with an answer to my question.

Still waiting....
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

The website information is correct across the C65 models. CW has initiated a running production change to a screw down crown on the C65 case. Those models that state a screw down crown have it. Those that don't say it..do not have it...yet.

The addition of the screw down crown will not affect the WR rating. It has been done due to popular demand and the additional safety measure it provides.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Toph
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Toph »

To be honest screw down or not, there’s no functional difference for the depths any of us will go to. Technology has improved in the last 30 years.
Where no counsel is the people fall but in a multitude of counsellors there is safety
Instagram @tophstewart
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

Thank you Kip, that's excellent news !

I'm fine with the rated WR, but I've had crown accidents while diving in the past, that's why I only trust a screw-down crown. A push-in crown is too much risk.
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

Preordered ! Happy Birthday to me (in a couple of weeks...) !
Bugster87
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Bugster87 »

I think a screw down crown will be the push I need to buy the blue version after moving on my C65 GMT.
DEV1ST8R
CW-watches: 5

Post by DEV1ST8R »

Oh man... Now I have to contemplate selling my push/pull Dartmouth for a screw down. :?
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

Really liking this watch.
The screw down crown feels very smooth and precise, and it's a great touch that it really is a no-date movement (no ghost position on the crown).

Only complaint is that it wears a bit bigger than I was expecting, I measured the bezel and it is not 41mm, it's more like 42.2mm diameter IRL.

Bought it on the bracelet, but it just seems to love this distressed brown strap I had in the drawer... who am I to disagree...

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Looks good and you're quite correct, the bezel on the Dartmouth is 42mm, compared to the 41mm on the C65 Trident Diver and GMT.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England