NEW - Trust Pilot review

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
triffidman
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: NEW - Trust Pilot review

Post by triffidman »

richtel wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:14 pmI think it would be dangerous to infer the proportion of issues seen in reality based on the variance of survey and review statistics.
What you're inferring is that Trustpilot and other review sites are actually not worth the effort even looking at them - should we also apply your 'danger' theory to analysing the good reviews as well?

They currently have a rating of 4.6 (Excellent) on Trustpilot, are you inferring that this is simply not to be believed?
C60 GMT (SOKKO)
C40 Chronograph

Laco Helsinki
Tissot T Touch Expert

Casio G-Shock Frogman
Casio G-Shock GPW-1000
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

triffidman wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:26 pm
richtel wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:14 pmI think it would be dangerous to infer the proportion of issues seen in reality based on the variance of survey and review statistics.
What you're inferring is that Trustpilot and other review sites are actually not worth the effort even looking at them - should we also apply your 'danger' theory to analysing the good reviews as well?

They currently have a rating of 4.6 (Excellent) on Trustpilot, are you inferring that this is simply not to be believed?
Wow, old thread but clearly some heat in the fresh response! If you'd actually quoted the context of what I actually said in my post, I expressed a view that-

- Some people make it their life's work to mess with people's perception of a brand.
- People tend to be more vocal when they have a grievance.
- There is evidence in some reviews and feedback (not necessarily on TrustPilot but certainly in general) of false or exaggerated grievances for and against a product or service in an attempt to gain a commercial advantage.

So, yes, I still stick by my view that I am selective about how I will research and decide on the value or quality of things. Review sites, in general, may not give you the whole picture or a representative balance.
These users thanked the author richtel for the post:
Thermexman
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

richtel wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:44 pm
So, yes, I still stick by my view that I am selective about how I will research and decide on the value or quality of things. Review sites, in general, may not give you the whole picture or a representative balance.
There is more than a grain of truth in the examples you cite. Like you, I will use my own judgment.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Thermexman
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

richtel wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:44 pm
- Some people make it their life's work to mess with people's perception of a brand.
- People tend to be more vocal when they have a grievance.
- There is evidence in some reviews and feedback (not necessarily on TrustPilot but certainly in general) of false or exaggerated grievances for and against a product or service in an attempt to gain a commercial advantage.

It's even worse than that. A short while ago my step-daughter had a "work experience placing" in a so called SEO company (Search Engine Optimisation). Her role (alongside others) was to generate "reviews" on various sites. These could be both good and bad, depending on what the "client" was paying for. Jack up your rating? Trash the competition? All available at a price. Apparently, it had to be done manually as retailers such as Amazon or the review sites like Trust Pilot have upped their game and can (mostly) detect the bots.

I kid you not. A complaint to the college followed as this was nothing but blatant fraud, but I don't doubt the practice blithely continues.

DYOR has never been more important.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Annual bump on this, now rather worryingly below H Samuel. :silent:

106 out of 119 in the 'Watch Shop' category.
9981 reviews with an average 4.4 stars.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ch ... ward.co.uk
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
ArtfulRoger
Senior
Senior

Post by ArtfulRoger »

Such reviews are best taken like a pinch of salt. Ownership chatter on forums and other social media groups are usually a better and more realistic, honest indicator of judging a brand, reliability?
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

ArtfulRoger wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:34 am Such reviews are best taken like a pinch of salt. Ownership chatter on forums and other social media groups are usually a better and more realistic, honest indicator of judging a brand, reliability?
100% agree. Since it became obvious a few years ago that these kind of sites were being abused (for and against), I pay them lip service only.

Thats why forums such as this one are absolute gold dust for genuine experience, massive amounts of knowledge, and genuine opinions
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Reviews can help paint a picture and it's clear some are nonsense, but the believable reviews (not just CW's) are ones that give detail.
CW obviously feel they are worth it, otherwise why encourage them?
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Like everything in the ol’ World Wide Web, do your research, apply some common sense, and trust your own judgement. I take everything on the internet with the appropriate grain of salt.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Richard D
Drew
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

It has its faults but Trustpilot can certainly be useful to show a trend. There are no obvious watch manufacturers with the number of reviews CW has so it can only really be compared to itself over time.

The drop to 4 stars in 2019 was no coincidence with the number of issues reported here regarding quality control and customer service.

It seems a common belief that people are more likely to report a bad experience than a good one but there are lots of 5 stars so they must be doing something right at the moment.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:45 pm Like everything in the ol’ World Wide Web, do your research, apply some common sense, and trust your own judgement. I take everything on the internet with the appropriate grain of salt.
Likewise I trust my own judgment. I’m cautious of reviews, especially when they are over exaggerated leading me to think that they maybe fake. Faking is common, from businesses who write their own reviews to attract customers, to customers who write negative reviews in order to get a refund or a discount. Fake reviews are lucrative.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
jkbarnes
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’