eBay experience

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Dayglow_01

eBay experience

Post by Dayglow_01 »

Hello everyone

I'm new here and would ike to know what your opinion is on selling CW watches in eBay?

I realise this forum has a sales section but I am nowhere near the 30 posts required to access it and have no intentions of posting 30 random comments.

I recently listed a CW for sale on eBay, all was well until it came to the buyer sending payment. As you can probably tell this did not go well and I now have to wait for the resolution process to complete before I can relist. This is where I'm after your thoughts. Have I just been unlucky or is this a common occurrence for higher value items?

The only reason I am selling it is because I've had my head turned and want another CW.

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: eBay experience

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Dayglow_01 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:30 am I realise this forum has a sales section but I am nowhere near the 30 posts required to access it and have no intentions of posting 30 random comments.
I am sorry, I have no experience whatsoever of eBay. However, before others at their thoughts, thank you for expressing your restraint and your intention not to speed post.

As it happens, making 30 worthwhile posts probably wouldn’t take all that long, and then if and when your issue is resolved you would be able to put your watch up for sale here, and enjoy what many of us believe is a much more positive experience.

Join in the fun! :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

I’ve sold many watches on eBay both CW and other brands.

Never had any problems. For shipping, I always use Next Day before 1pm tracked and signed for. (I only ship within UK)

I don’t sell on Forum because I don’t post pics. And as you’ll realise, for sales, pics are a must.

For buying, I tend to use the Forum because the sellers are true gents and the watches have been well cared for. In addition, prices are more realistic. Some prices on eBay are very ambitious.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I have bought and sold a few watches on eBay over the years and have to date haven't had any issues. As Brian says always use a fully tracked, signed and insured for service when sending.

You could insist on a minimum feedback rating for any prospective buyers for an expensive watch, another way of weeding out scammers.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

I too am mostly satisfied with ebay, no serious problems with receiving payment though that is using Paypal. I suffer the extra costs because of the simplicity for buyers and the guarantee.

The only recent issue (in times of virus) I have had really was in sending an item to the US which US Mail managed to lose, meaning of course I had to refund the buyer in full and then suffer recovery from the carrier which takes months. The advice above to fully insure is well founded.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

If you want to sell a watch, there's no doubt that doing so through ebay will reach a larger audience than "sales corner", but if you are only selling one, that may not be an issue.
I buy a lot of stuff on ebay (including a couple of watches) and have sold some things as well. Generally, no problems at all. As others have said - get insurance and package tracked. If the buyer says something hasn't arrived and you don't have tracking you WILL be refunding the buyer. Yes, there is a cost attached to using PayPal but that's your choice. Personally, I wouldn't buy off someone who doesn't use PayPal unless it was something that I was physically collecting and could actually see the item before payment.
No offence intended here but if you decide to sell on ebay, have a good think about which countries you will/won't send to, and if you are happy sending abroad - manage buyers expectations regarding delivery times (a courier will always be quickest) and cost.
Good luck with your sale, an update when completed would be useful to others in the same situation (and increase your post count).
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Dayglow_01

Post by Dayglow_01 »

Hey guys

Thanks for all the advice. I would only ever sell using PayPal and a tracked service hence the reason for using eBay global shipping program. It all went to pot really when the buyer asked if I could mark the item as a gift to avoid the import tax, which I declined as I felt it would affect my rights as a seller should something go wrong after shipping.

I've opened up a case with eBay so that I do not suffer the selling fee and will maybe try again. I can't do anything for 4 days so will give me time to think.

Again thanks for the advice. Judging by the responses so far it looks like this may be an uncommon occurance

Gripper
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Gripper »

I've sold a few watches on ebay and always been lucky and have had no problems. Posted them all by Royal Mail Special Delivery with insurance and state post to UK only on my listings.

I list them with a high Buy It Now price but add Best Offer. That way it gives you the chance to see a potential buyers feedback when they make an offer before you decide whether to accept it.
Mark
So I went to buy a watch, and the man in the shop said "Analogue." I said "No, just a watch."
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

I buy and sell most of my watches on eBay. I have found eBay to be very fair with resolutions etc. I’ve had a seller not post and I’ve had to make a claim about 6years ago, did take some time.

I’ve also sold a watch through eBay GSP and hd it DOA with a busted crown, and eBay picked up the tab (or their insurer did).

I regard eBay as my watch box and accept theirs and PayPal fees as my subscription to the service!

I generally find that watch sale prices are higher than on forums, but not significantly so. If I’m honest I’d prefer to buy and sell through the forum, but I’m usually too impatient to wait for the models I want to come up. Never had any luck through WTB.
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

eBay are a lot cheaper than auction houses who charge both buyer and seller at least 15% each, probably nearer to 25%or 30% . I just think the issue with eBay is having to rely on photos, and that lingering doubt, which rachets up as the price goes up.
Gareth
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 12

Post by Gareth »

When selling on eBay I tend to use 'buy it now or best offer'. I set the BIN price fairly high and this gives me the chance to do 'due diligence' on any bidders who make an offer.

This has worked well for me so far, as I'm able to reject any offers from bidders who have poor or dubious feedback.

I also find that doing a comprehensive and honest description / photos of the watch avoids any future complaints.
Pacesetter
Junior
Junior

Post by Pacesetter »

I have sold a couple of watches on ebay and have a few on their now (including my C65 diver) but with mixed results. I have had a couple of non-paying bidders (including one that was over £5k) and several scam attempts.
It is a complete nuisance when you have a sale go wrong, but I always insist on payment through PayPal and all sales and communications through eBay so that I can try to avoid getting scammed, and always send by recorded delivery or courier.
My advice is, don't deviate from the rules and don't succumb to the people who want you to do otherwise.
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

Gripper wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:28 pm I've sold a few watches on ebay and always been lucky and have had no problems. Posted them all by Royal Mail Special Delivery with insurance and state post to UK only on my listings.

I list them with a high Buy It Now price but add Best Offer. That way it gives you the chance to see a potential buyers feedback when they make an offer before you decide whether to accept it.
Two things. I presume it sold to someone living abroad. Marking at as gift wouldn't affect your rights, but it wouldn't make any difference to the buyers import duty either. If you listed the item as being worth less than it is, that may be another matter. If they haven't paid, and that's happened to me a few times, there is nothing you can do about it, but you won't get a selling fee charge. The buyer will simply get a warning, which means absolutely nothing. I have bought and sold dozens of watches on eBay, and 95% of the time it works out well.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

Dayglow_01 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:30 am Hello everyone

I'm new here and would ike to know what your opinion is on selling CW watches in eBay?

I realise this forum has a sales section but I am nowhere near the 30 posts required to access it and have no intentions of posting 30 random comments.

I recently listed a CW for sale on eBay, all was well until it came to the buyer sending payment. As you can probably tell this did not go well and I now have to wait for the resolution process to complete before I can relist. This is where I'm after your thoughts. Have I just been unlucky or is this a common occurrence for higher value items?

The only reason I am selling it is because I've had my head turned and want another CW.

It is quite a common thing these days, to have non paying bidders and worse. It's a society thing and appears to be acceptable to an increasing number of people. It doesn't help that eBay or the authorities are not remotely interested in small scale fraud either.

Regarding eBays take on this, the are only interested in profit and will quite happily turn a blind eye to fraud, so long as the money keeps coming in.

With that said, eBay remains the best market place to sell used items, with a few caveats included. It is imperative that you follow their policies for the full protection that eBay affords sellers, such as it is, but there is always risk involved in distance selling to complete strangers. Buyers are far better protected.

My tips...
Provide honest and accurate descriptions.
Take as many good quality, multiple angled shots of the complete watch and all accessories included in the sale, as you can. Twelve is the limit for free photos when listing.
Do not get involved in any conversations via messaging regarding alternative contact methods or try to take the sale off of eBay.
Photograph and weigh your package, record serial numbers and only use a fully tracked delivery service. Royal Mail Special Delivery would be my recommendation.
Paypal fees are just over 3% of the total transaction and unless you happen to list during an eBay fee promotion period, they will sting you for 10% of the total transaction cost. So you might be looking at just over 13% in total fees for the sale, which is not insignificant when selling a watch in the hundreds of pounds value bracket. Factor this in!

The biggest downside is that there is always the remote possibility that you may get scammed out of your watch, it's fairly easy to do and there isn't much you can do about it. If it happens, unfortunately, as previously mentioned, the authorities, eBay and Paypal will be less than interested and you will be left with a bitter pill to swallow.

Armed with the cold hard facts, you can now decided on how to go about selling your watch and in spite of the above, I'd still recommend eBay.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Depending on value and brand, Chrono24 is becoming a serious alternative for watches. I like that you can negotiate directly and the escrow service for abstracted payment which works well both ways.

These days there are usually a number of CWs up, though asking prices are generally steeper than ebay uk.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)