Retained value

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Retained value

Post by johncolescarr »

Hi,

Just seen a 40mm mk3 C60 GMT black blue on bracelet with 2 hybrid straps also in perfect condition go for £540 on eBay from a seller in Holland. Is that not remarkably cheap??
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Re: Retained value

Post by MarkingTime »

It's the going rate, I'd say. The extra straps make it a good buy.

It's a bit of a mugs game to pay full price for a CW anyway, given the regular sales and nearly new prices, not to mention the frequent money off vouchers.
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

Wow,

I‘ll admit I’ve never bought a full price CW, but it looks like I’ve just overpaid for the one I’ve just bought then as no extra straps and I paid a bit more! However I’m entirely comfortable with what I paid and have no regrets.
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

And so the penny drops for another CW buyer
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

golfjunky wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:10 am And so the penny drops for another CW buyer
To be fair, not many watches hold their value, but any buyer is going to be in a better place if they buy wisely.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

MarkingTime wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:56 am
golfjunky wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:10 am And so the penny drops for another CW buyer
To be fair, not many watches hold their value, but any buyer is going to be in a better place if they buy wisely.
I'd say someone got a good deal. Looking at ebay here, a 38mm GMT on bracelet sold for £600 a few days ago.

My last few CW's have been bought nearly new (but turned out to be completely new) for 30% off RRP so the residual value would likely mean I wouldn't take much of a hit if I ever did sell. Buying your CW's in the sales or in the frequent NN offerings is probably the most financially sensible way to buy, unless there is a must have model for which there will be the regular vouchers.

As the previous poster says, how many brands do much better in their residuals, you are generally going to lose money with most watches if you buy then resell down the line. Best to only buy what you really like in the possibility you may wish to keep it long term, in which case the residual value is somewhat academic (recognising that resisting the urge to flip can be difficult for many of us).
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

You can check average resale values on the CWArchives. You can check by collection or you can see what models have been held the best values over the years.

You can also click on a model and see the average sale over time and how many were sold in a given year.

Since it's release in August 2019, the C60 Trident Pro GMT 600 40mm Mk 3 Archive page shows that only 10 units have been tracked to date.

Original price of this model on a bracelet £995/$1195 (currently £/1055/$1205). Based on only 10 units the CWA is showing an average resale of $739.

The price mentioned by the OP of £540 (approx. $702) is lower than the current average. Add in 2 straps and it is certainly a good value.

IMO...remarkably cheap...no. A good buy for certain. Please remember that the CWArchive pricing averages assumes box and papers included and that the watch is in good to excellent condition.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

Although CW don’t hold their value as much as say Rolex and we’re talking % here, not overall cost, I do find a very healthy pre-owned market demand for CW. I’ve never had any issues selling a CW and loads are available. I class eBay as my watch box.

I will admit I’m a serial flipper, but some stay in my collection longer than others, I regard this as good honest fun! (Sad I know, but I get a kick from it!)
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Unless what you are buying is limited release in some way, then you'll generally lose some of the value at least by the tax paid. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay, auctions really need two people to want an item to push the price up. Rolex have a level of brand recognition most watch firms can only dream about, so perhaps not the best comparison. I'm not able to buy a Rolex but they seem very good at restricting supply to maintain prices. De Beers do the same thing with diamonds.
If you buy a watch to wear and enjoy then surely any loss in value has to be regarded as the price of that enjoyment? If you buy (anything) as an investment well, investing is just a posh name for gambling - you can either win or lose.
I wouldn't pay full price either, but then I have missed out on a couple of occasions when dithering over prices.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru

Post by Fat-Sam »

Rolex being an anomaly- the majority of watches will lose a good chunk of their resale value once purchased.

But where CW are better value at rrp than most in a similar price point - at the preowned prices they become remarkably good value. I sold my c60 mk3 40mm For £440 and on reflection it was probably not worth selling for that price. It’s so much more watch for the money ...but there’s a one in/one out rule cruelly enforced by my dictator/missus indoors.

What I will say is that due to this forum and the CW community in general- it’s easier to get a quick sale of a CW than it might be for a similar priced microbrand. I chose to put mine up at a slightly lower price as I prefer a quick sale with a happy buyer- and don’t like the waiting, tyre kickers and constant messaging I’d have got if I’d put it up for >£500.
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

exHowfener wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:32 pm Unless what you are buying is limited release in some way, then you'll generally lose some of the value at least by the tax paid.
In general, LEs are a mug's game wrt VFM/residuals but of course if it's a must have variation then fair dos - just don't expect to luck out when flipping.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

H0rati0 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:27 pm In general, LEs are a mug's game wrt VFM/residuals but of course if it's a must have variation then fair dos - just don't expect to luck out when flipping.
Just out of interest, why would it be a must have if you’re going to flip it?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

Totally agree about LE's, probably didn't explain too well: What I was trying to cover was a situation when demand exceeds supply to such an extent that it can be possible to sell at above retail price as some will pay a premium to jump the waiting list.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Post by WalterSMonaco »

The only watch I would get for resale purposes starts with an R and ends with an X
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
CW C60 Trident 600 Pro GMT
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

If purchased carefully and in anticipation of 'trend' some vintage models do OK wrt retained value but higher cost of ownership can easily negate any increase. Very few new watches will in the short term retain purchase value and then it would tend to be only some R____x and possibly O__ga unless a fabulous deal was struck at retailer.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands