Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: C60 Lympstone

Post by Dickchins »

I hear ya jimbo..! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Strangely enough im not sure id actually be interested in a police watch. Suppose im more towards the look of it, especially with cw.

For me, the good point with cw is also the bad point. You havent really got to search for the quality as the quality is there by default. That then only leaves 1 question for me... does it look nice!
(Putting cosc movements etc aside)

The lympstone for me looks understated and classy, yet clearly able to be worn tooling around in forests, gauges etc. That appeals to me.

As people have rightly said though, if it was just marines who bought these, the sales figures may not be enough to carry the piece on and that would be a shame.

I know im a customer for one purely on the look/style. If it honours our services in the process, its a mahoosive brucey bonus....!
Ukyo
Junior
Junior

Post by Ukyo »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:34 am
Ukyo wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:17 am Thanks guy, I already placed the order in pounds lol. Guess I'll cancel that and reorder through the US store. I tried the code you mentioned and it worked Does that mean it ships from the US? This would be my first CW watch direct from them so I don't know if they just all ship from UK or if they ship locally based on the currency used.
All watches ship from CW in Maidenhead, UK. International ones using DHL.

Before switching your order its worth checking the net price after currency conversion; they can vary.

As to not being able to use the 100LOUPE18 in GBP but shipping to the US, might be worth trying again or shooting an email to CW.

It may be, with the new website from a couple of months ago, they have engineered it to only allow purchases in the local currency of the recipient. Perhaps one of our USA based member will be able to comment on that.

Anyway, no rush. Its Sunday and CW will next be open tomorrow morning. Good luck.

Guy
Thanks, I emailed them but never heard back and forgot to follow up and now my watch has shipped... lol now I just have to pray I get lucky and DHL won't ask for fees. Without the fees, it's cheaper than buying with the US coupon, with the fees, depending on how much they'll charge me, it'll probably be roughly the same amount give or take 20 USD or so. End of the day I'm happy I'm getting the watch one way or another. Supposed to be delivered on Monday so it'll be interesting to see when they will reach out if they are to charge fees... may the RNG gods be with me on this... lol
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Post by mabotham »

I am interested in this. I hope the internal bezel has a firm rotation to it. I remember my C11 elite having an internal bezel and it was very loose. Only 1 way to find out I guess..
Ukyo
Junior
Junior

Post by Ukyo »

mabotham wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:32 pm I am interested in this. I hope the internal bezel has a firm rotation to it. I remember my C11 elite having an internal bezel and it was very loose. Only 1 way to find out I guess..
For a directional inner bezel, I'd imagine it would be loose. Will find out when I get mine today. Can't wait! :D
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Ukyo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:55 pm
mabotham wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:32 pm I am interested in this. I hope the internal bezel has a firm rotation to it. I remember my C11 elite having an internal bezel and it was very loose. Only 1 way to find out I guess..
For a directional inner bezel, I'd imagine it would be loose. Will find out when I get mine today. Can't wait! :D
Will yours be the first ‘in the wild’ on the forum I wonder?
Ukyo
Junior
Junior

Post by Ukyo »

I received the watch and yes the inner bezel is free floating loose, no ratcheting of any kind which if you're like me, who's OCD, sucks cuz after playing with it, it took me a while to get it back to the perfect location (N on 12, S on 6, etc). So don't play with it unless you're actually using it or don't care that it's not in perfect alignment. Lol
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Tortoise »

Ukyo wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:12 am I received the watch and yes the inner bezel is free floating loose, no ratcheting of any kind ...
I don't have much experience with inner rotating bezels... Do they normally have a ratcheting mechanism?
Ian
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

DEV1ST8R wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:45 pm
nordwulf wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:22 pm Placed an order today as it's a great outdoors / adventure watch for me. Just have to wait for probably 3-4 weeks. Came to US$ 830 (ordered in GBP) after promo code. Unfortunately just over the $800 duty-free limit but that's ok.

Love everything about it: gun metal PVD case, brushed ceramic outer bezel, inner compass bezel, carbon dial, chronometer, 42mm, logo at 12, no date, under the radar.

The Royal Marines and Lympstone bit doesn't have any meaning for me but is pretty cool nonetheless.
If you don't mind, could you report how much duty is eventually owed on that order? I am in the exact same boat and am curious what to expect...
It landed in the US, cleared customs and forwarded to destination. I wasn't contacted by DHL so I assume there was no duty charged. First picture showed up in CWA group on FB. Looks pretty awesome, can''t wait to receive mine next Tuesday.
Ukyo
Junior
Junior

Post by Ukyo »

I only have one other watch with an inner rotating bezel, the Dan Henry 1970, and it doesn't ratchet. I just started watch collecting so I can't say one way or another if there is ever one that ratchets. I'm in the US and I was afraid I'd have to pay duties but they did not reach out and just delivered it. I did order it with the 125 pound discount so it came out to about 630 pounds which translates to about $814 as of now. I read in some forums that anything over $800 will require duties. Youtuber Random Rob stated he had to pay duties for the C60 Sapphire he bought but he paid full retail price for it. It was that statement from him that made me hesitant to order direct from Chistopher Ward but after I saw the C60 Lympstone, I just had to have it and decided to chance it especially with the coupon. Lol Luckily, I didn't have to pay any extra fees for it. Again, I'm not sure if it's because my final cost was 630 pounds instead of the 875 pounds retail.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Ukyo wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:25 am I only have one other watch with an inner rotating bezel, the Dan Henry 1970, and it doesn't ratchet. I just started watch collecting so I can't say one way or another if there is ever one that ratchets. I'm in the US and I was afraid I'd have to pay duties but they did not reach out and just delivered it. I did order it with the 125 pound discount so it came out to about 630 pounds which translates to about $814 as of now. I read in some forums that anything over $800 will require duties. Youtuber Random Rob stated he had to pay duties for the C60 Sapphire he bought but he paid full retail price for it. It was that statement from him that made me hesitant to order direct from Chistopher Ward but after I saw the C60 Lympstone, I just had to have it and decided to chance it especially with the coupon. Lol Luckily, I didn't have to pay any extra fees for it. Again, I'm not sure if it's because my final cost was 630 pounds instead of the 875 pounds retail.
Do you have a pic of your new Lympstone?
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

This one is on the CW FB page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

^^^ Cheers Patrick. It does look good I have to admit.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

I received the watch and yes the inner bezel is free floating loose, no ratcheting of any kind which if you're like me, who's OCD, sucks cuz after playing with it, it took me a while to get it back to the perfect location (N on 12, S on 6, etc). So don't play with it unless you're actually using it or don't care that it's not in perfect alignment.

Slightly tongue in cheek but: I've read/heard similar (OCD) comments about the Seiko Alpinist. Surely a truly OCD approach would be to have the N indicator always pointing north?

Despite the novelty of a compass bezel, any 2 handed watch can be used as a compass, at least when you can see the sun.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Ukyo
Junior
Junior

Post by Ukyo »

exHowfener wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:27 pm
I received the watch and yes the inner bezel is free floating loose, no ratcheting of any kind which if you're like me, who's OCD, sucks cuz after playing with it, it took me a while to get it back to the perfect location (N on 12, S on 6, etc). So don't play with it unless you're actually using it or don't care that it's not in perfect alignment.

Slightly tongue in cheek but: I've read/heard similar (OCD) comments about the Seiko Alpinist. Surely a truly OCD approach would be to have the N indicator always pointing north?

Despite the novelty of a compass bezel, any 2 handed watch can be used as a compass, at least when you can see the sun.
The OCD part comes from the S slightly misaligned when the N is aligned correctly between the two twelve o'clock indices (at least to me, lol)
Attachments
PXL_20200920_233903310 - Copy.jpg
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

^^^ I can see what you mean. Maybe the S isn't dead centre between the 170 and 190, or maybe it's to do with the design of the S. How do they fix applied indices? Do they print location marks or indents on the dial?