How Does Watch Design Compare To Toothpaste?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DaveTucker
CW-watches: 3

How Does Watch Design Compare To Toothpaste?

Post by DaveTucker »

I can almost hear forum members when they read the subject title, "what the.....?". Stay with me for just a moment while I explain. Have you ever noticed how adverts for toothpaste go, "our toothpaste cleans your teeth", "our toothpaste cleans your teeth & your gums", "our toothpaste makes your teeth whiter", "our toothpaste does everything". Then when there's nothing else to add, "plain and simple, our toothpaste cleans your teeth". You probably get what I mean by now. To maintain consumer interest, designers need to continuously improve their products, or innovate, or strip back and start again. You might think that everything that could be done, has been done.... and then out of the blue comes something that is truly amazing. Something that sets the bar for everyone else to aim for. Then a bold decision is made to go back to original design principles, and a new product is born. Any watch brand can churn out new models, but what makes a great brand is one that dares to be different and is prepared to get it wrong occasionally. I think the new CW Super Compressor is a great example of going back to a sound design to remake a classic. For me it's a resounding hit. What do you consider to be CW's greatest hits and misses?
Squalus
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 6

Re: How Does Watch Design Compare To Toothpaste?

Post by Squalus »

In terms of quickest turn over, I would say the C60 Elite 1000 LE. The entire run was sold in three weeks.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: How Does Watch Design Compare To Toothpaste?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It depends to some extent on the criteria one uses to judge these things. Let’s look at model longevity.

The company’s original watch, the C5 Malvern Mk1, was in production for seven years from June 2005 to June 2012. It is arguable that if that model had bombed, CW would not perhaps be here today, at least not in the form that we recognise. We have more recently seen examples of models withdrawn from production after about two years.

I acknowledge that the design and manufacture have moved on, and so have prices!

That watch was ridiculously good value at the time of its introduction, and I think it must count as a signal success.
1775FC1D-84B9-4ED8-9FA7-A6B4B51C3EFF.jpeg
61CD09CE-33BD-4ACC-8D89-5AE9021B93FB.jpeg
EA1BAE7A-5924-4FF6-B12F-C3E5CF3F64BB.jpeg
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)