Two-handers?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Two-handers?

Post by Noush »

I've been looking at a 2-hander watch and I'm not quite sure how I feel about that aspect. The simplicity is good, but so is a second-hand's sweep.
I keep asking myself how often do I actually handy-reference it? You know, there are times...

Interested in observations of those who have them. What I have found with a 4-hander is I hardly even notice it. Not like I can actually USE the 4th hand at present. In Australia OS travel is simply banned.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Re: Two-handers?

Post by biggus_richus »

From experience, if you are in any way interested in checking or tracking accuracy, then you'll find a two-hander quite frustrating!
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

The closest that I have to a two hander is a couple of small seconds that don’t have a minute track. Still easy enough to know the precise time if required.

Don’t think I would cope that well with a straight two hander, other than for occasional wear.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Rockmastermike
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Rockmastermike »

It takes a little time to get used to, but for me after that it was fine.
it will either "free you mind" or drive you crazy, lol

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I have several 'two handers', two of which are Chronographs (CW C1000 Typhoon FGR4 RAF and MAT Watches AG6 CHL), that allow me to cheat and run them with the chrono sweep seconds in use, if I want to.

The third is my Dodane Type 23 Quartz, the minutes hand of which jumps forward at 30 seconds interval; cheating is, again, available depending on which digital display is in use.

Overall though, its not an issue to cause me concern, to not have a running seconds.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Noush wrote: Interested in observations of those who have them. What I have found with a 4-hander is I hardly even notice it. Not like I can actually USE the 4th hand at present. In Australia OS travel is simply banned.
Oz has a few time zones though does it not!

Personally I do like a second hand so I doubt I would go for a 2 hander. I do want to have that extra level of precision to the time, not quite ready to start the journey towards ish time just yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A lot of people claim that they use the seconds hand merely as an indicator that the watch is running. I used to have an Omega which was a bit like Guy’s Dodane in terms of function. The minute hand advanced every 30 seconds and the seconds function was switchable as part of the digital display. I usually left the display invisible and it just looked like a 2-hand dress watch.

I don’t have any two-handers these days, but I do of course have a single handed watch. The lack of a seconds hand or minute hand doesn’t bother me, and I’ve learned to use it very accurately. It rather helps that the watch itself seems very precise and can go for weeks without needing any adjustment. When I took this photo yesterday I saw that the pointer was a nudge beyond 0920, so I said to myself 0921. That was the time on my phone. :D

Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

The last and perhaps only, 2 hand watch I owned drove me spare. I had a second hand installed as there was a “blank” disc on the end of the spindle. Remove said disc, install second hand, bingo... much happier owner.

God knows how I’d handle a one hander...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Amor Vincit Omnia

gaf1958 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:33 am God knows how I’d handle a one hander...
You need a pre-Huygens mindset. None of this Daylight Saving Time nonsense. Local time applies throughout, sundials are accurate all year round (though largely useless in Britain most of the year) – allowing for a little shenanigans with the Equation of Time.

See you now, Ned, the Sun doth go behind yonder tree a little after 5 o’clock.

And at this time of year, it wanteth around two hours until the Sun do set.

Aye, that or thereabouts. So sayeth my MeisterSinger, and I did adjust it by Squire’s great sundial only last Tuesday fortnight, so I did.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

There are tonnes of quartz watches that i would love to buy and have the seconds hand removed.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Second hand is compulsory for me, though sometimes its a non running (chrono hand). Could not have a watch without one as I always feel something that is the essence of a watch as a timekeeper was missing.
Appreciate that's just me and great there are all options available to cater for varying tastes and needs.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Amor Vincit Omnia

golfjunky wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:16 am There are tonnes of quartz watches that i would love to buy and have the seconds hand removed.
:lol: :clap:
Steve

Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

Some interesting observations, folks. And thank you all for taking the time for making them.

Ticking (pun intended....) a few of them off:
Yes here in Australia we do have multiple time zones but when it's as simple as the west being 2 hours behind the east, I'm a lost cause if I need a 4th hand for that :) When my uncle Michael was still with us until recently in Bavaria, I used to like to keep across what that meant for him - and when Bayern was playing. So now I keep the 4th hand still there just for the football games...

The reassurance, such as it is, that the watch is still ticking is one of the things that sticks in my mind as what I might feel is "missing". I guess if I actually need some minutae of how long some small event takes, there are plenty of other watches to hand if I'm at home, and other choices when I'm going to be out and think I might need. When I go for a brisk walk on days off, the rotating bezel is my best friend.

I did think of the Meistersinger going one step further but I think that's a clear decision about what time is going to be about going forward the morning you strap it on. There's something quite gloriously anachronistic about all that whirring about on the inside and the "precise calm" on the dial.

My experience says telling time, and the accuracy of that tends to be in the moment. For example when I'm in the workroom with our production guys they will ask me the time (meaning how far away is their 10am break?) I will say 10 past 9, say, whether it is 8 past or 12 past. Good enough in the circumstances. Eight minutes and 40 seconds past doesn't enter in to it :)

I had a good laugh when the first few 2-handed pics came up. One of them is rather similar to the watch that brought this up, and may be available to purchase from a fellow I know. Umm, it's Italian. Unexpectedly stunning on-wrist.
Chris
Amor Vincit Omnia

Noush wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:03 am I did think of the Meistersinger going one step further but I think that's a clear decision about what time is going to be about going forward the morning you strap it on.
Indeed. I’ve been at home for a few days now, but I will be going to work tomorrow and will probably wear either the Speedy or the C65. Definitely NOT the MeisterSinger.
Noush wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:03 am

My experience says telling time, and the accuracy of that tends to be in the moment. For example when I'm in the workroom with our production guys they will ask me the time (meaning how far away is their 10am break?) I will say 10 past 9, say, whether it is 8 past or 12 past. Good enough in the circumstances. Eight minutes and 40 seconds past doesn't enter in to it :)
You could try it. “The time according to my radio controlled Citizen is eight-forty-two and thirty-five seconds.” It would need to be done in a nasal, Home Counties, Colin Hunt type of voice.
Steve

Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

Ha! I did try that once. Eyes rolled. Aussies can do nasal without trying :)
Chris