The value of Provenance

A place to discuss other watch-brands
DaveTucker
CW-watches: 3

The value of Provenance

Post by DaveTucker »

Today at work I was showing a colleague my new CW C60 and he recalled a story about an old Rolex. The story is that a customer of his had found an old Rolex while diving in the Bahamas. With a few shakes, the watch started ticking but was covered in years worth of crud. Interested to know what the watch was worth, he took it to several jewellers. The consensus was that the watch was worth about £1000 if cleaned up. So he sent it off to Rolex for cleaning, along with the story of how he found it. He was very surprised when Rolex said that he definitely should not get it cleaned and with the story of its history and evidence of its provenance the watch was worth.around £20,000. It reminded me of a quote from Indiana Jones "take a $5 watch, bury it in the desert for a thousand years and it will be priceless"
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: The value of Provenance

Post by Thegreyman »

The experts always advise not replacing dial, hands etc on vintage Rolex as it reduces the value so I get that. I’m not so convinced that barnacles on the case would give that additional authenticity and value...but then what do I know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Urban myth? IIRC, Rolex can identify owners from serial numbers, so in theory the original owner should be able to get his watch back, finders is not necessarily keepers.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

10 years ago I received a call from the new owners of my last house 6 months after we moved out. They found a Seiko in the flower bed in back garden and was it mine (I wandered where it had gone)?
I collected it, still works and still have it but may sell for the right price, 4 figure offers accepted. 😆
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Soporsche wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:13 am 10 years ago I received a call from the new owners of my last house 6 months after we moved out. They found a Seiko in the flower bed in back garden and was it mine (I wandered where it had gone)?
I collected it, still works and still have it but may sell for the right price, 4 figure offers accepted. 😆
How many bedrooms with that? :lol: :lol:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Thegreyman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:30 am The experts always advise not replacing dial, hands etc on vintage Rolex as it reduces the value so I get that. I’m not so convinced that barnacles on the case would give that additional authenticity and value...but then what do I know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What if it was bronze? Patina and barnacles. :)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Soporsche wrote:10 years ago I received a call from the new owners of my last house 6 months after we moved out. They found a Seiko in the flower bed in back garden and was it mine (I wandered where it had gone)?
I collected it, still works and still have it but may sell for the right price, 4 figure offers accepted. Image
£18.88 secure it?

That's four figures. Image

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:04 pm
£18.88 secure it?

That's four figures. Image

Guy