What would I like CW to Design next?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: What would I like CW to Design next?

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

timor54 wrote:The latest Worn & Wound podcast is devoted to an interview with Mike France.

Whilst most of it is pushing the C65 SC he also alluded to some future releases. The most firm from his comments is a C65 Chronograph launching in November.

Previous renders in Loupe have suggested that It’ll be a two register model with date window at six (and by inference the logo at twelve).
That's interesting news Tim.

I have a notable birthday towards the end of November, which I am considering marking with a significant watch purchase.

A C65 Chrono would dovetail in nicely.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Blackdog »

With the 40mm size being so popular among the Tridents I think it's time to redesign the 20mm bracelet: make a narrower clasp and make the bracelet taper more. As it is now the bracelet overpowers the watch head somewhat.

This change would improve the overall proportions significantly.

Another slight improvement I would like to see is a bidirectional bezel for the GMT, and small dot/hash marks for the odd hours.
markee
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by markee »

johncolescarr wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:12 am This! in 38mm, the modern C65, a bit of an old idea as the original C65 was simply the C65 without a rotating bezel, but with virtually zero development cost it would be a winner.
I’d love to see this watch but also a vintage inspired 38mm with a bezel too. Something like a CW interpretation of a Tudor Black bay 58. My old man was a Navy diver and had an original Tudor so there is something about vintage dive watches that is always very appealing to me.
DaveTucker
CW-watches: 3

Post by DaveTucker »

So many great ideas, and lots of different suggestions. Probably enough to keep the CW design team busy for some time! It must be quite a difficult job deciding on what the next models will be like, whether to go with the current haute horology or design something from inspiration or an emotion. I often wonder if CW design what the customer might want, or what they believe to be a great looking and functional watch. Maybe it's the same thing. From the posts on this topic it's clear that we all have different tastes, but I firmly believe in the saying "if it looks right, it is right". Take the Supermarine Spitfire as a perfect example, it just looks 'right' and it certainly was right. Many thanks to all who contributed to this topic.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

DaveTucker wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:31 pm I often wonder if CW design what the customer might want, or what they believe to be a great looking and functional watch. Maybe it's the same thing.
It must be quite a fine line to tread, deciding between what you would like to produce and what you think will sell. There is an interesting thread going on at the moment about one off prototypes that never made it to production. In general I find myself preferring the actual production watches to the prototypes, however interesting they might be. Or maybe that’s what I’m supposed to think.

“Here it is, take it or leave it!” That is quite a courageous stance to take. But of course, with every so-called luxury commodity we always have that choice. I made a suggestion earlier on in the thread and I know for a fact that they wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole. No matter – if I really wanted something like that I would have to dig a bit deeper and look elsewhere.

As you say, good thread. Well done for starting it.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:48 pm
DaveTucker wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:31 pm I often wonder if CW design what the customer might want, or what they believe to be a great looking and functional watch. Maybe it's the same thing.
It must be quite a fine line to tread, deciding between what you would like to produce and what you think will sell. There is an interesting thread going on at the moment about one off prototypes that never made it to production. In general I find myself preferring the actual production watches to the prototypes, however interesting they might be. Or maybe that’s what I’m supposed to think.

“Here it is, take it or leave it!” That is quite a courageous stance to take. But of course, with every so-called luxury commodity we always have that choice. I made a suggestion earlier on in the thread and I know for a fact that they wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole. No matter – if I really wanted something like that I would have to dig a bit deeper and look elsewhere.

As you say, good thread. Well done for starting it.
The highly talented Swiss designer, Adrian Bachman leads on CW designs but he will also be following a corporate brief.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

timor54 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:17 pm ....... The most firm from his comments is a C65 Chronograph launching in November.

Previous renders in Loupe have suggested that It’ll be a two register model with date window at six (and by inference the logo at twelve).
In this configuration with a blue dial (colour of the C65 SC or darker blue?) as an option then I'd be purchasing it as a personal Christmas present.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^^
“Dear Santa Mike...”
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
WWIAFTM

Post by WWIAFTM »

i'd like to see it, but i don't know if people would buy them, but something incorporating precious metals would be cool. a CW take on a datejust with a 18k white gold fluted bezel would be nice.
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

The other notable thing discussed by Mike France viewtopic.php?p=825904#p825904 was that they are investigating how to produce a GMT version of the SH21 movement.

They are using the functionality of the Rolex GMT Master as a benchmark so it’d potentially be a true GMT with an independent hour hand. This sounded very much an ‘ambition’ for the future and is no small undertaking, but would be interesting to see it come to fruition.
Tim
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

The discussion regarding white dials has got me thinking about this - more 'fantasy' than 'what would i like CW to design next' I know, however, here we go! I would like the new 40mm Trident 'light catcher' case with wave dial, Chr. logo or twin flags applied at 12 (not bothered which as long as the word mark wasn't there), GMT in a subdial at 6, independent hour hand, date, COSC, with the option of a steel bezel in addition to the usual ceramic. The words 'GMT Chronometer' at 9 to balance the date at 3. The white dial version must have black or blued hands. Not many people actually dive with these things so maybe a bi directional or countdown bezel rather than a traditional divers bezel so it's more useful for everyday life, which is what most people would be wearing it for.

Yes, I know - I live in fantasy land!
TempusFugit
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by TempusFugit »

I'd like to see them really take a risk with a new jumping hour with direct read minutes in a TV-style case harking back to the 70s. Something like this... https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1980/ ... 1495198417
Four CWs and too many others to list!
And loads of clocks.
And bicycles.
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

TempusFugit wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:12 pm I'd like to see them really take a risk with a new jumping hour with direct read minutes in a TV-style case harking back to the 70s. Something like this... https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1980/ ... 1495198417
I'd love that too :D
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

I would love a black ceramic black case C60 based watch. Even without the dive bezel. I love the case of my C1000, but something in a C60 style case would be great. Especially with dark red highlights. Something similar to the colours below.

Trying not to buy any more watches...
redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by redmonaco »

Id love a "Proper" world timer. One where it has a 24 hour wheel so that you can tell the time at a glance all round the world :0)