Trident Chronograph Pro question- unscrewed pusher moisture resistance

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Trident Chronograph Pro question- unscrewed pusher moisture resistance

Post by FloridaPhil »

How moisture resistant is the Trident Pro Chrono when the pushers are unscrewed? I'm not talking about taking the watch underwater, but rather leaving them unscrewed when there is high humidity (hello Florida!).

My concern is that moisture gets through to the inside of the case if I'm operating the chrono function. It's not discussed in the owner's manual and I can't find any information online.

TIA.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Trident Chronograph Pro question- unscrewed pusher moisture resistance

Post by FloridaPhil »

Bumping this. Still have the question. Anyone?

Thanks.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

FloridaPhil wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:20 pm Bumping this. Still have the question. Anyone?

Thanks.
If the forum doesn’t come through with an answer for you, perhaps send an email to Christopher Ward customer service about it? I would hope someone there would know the answer to your question. And if they don’t, all of us should be concerned!
Drew
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

If you can’t use the pushers underwater...
I think there’s your answer right there?
Not sure how much “moisture” would get past the seals at atmospheric pressure? I would imagine that the seals aren’t going to let too much in but I bet no one will have a definitive answer for you? It’s probably a case of using it for several years then opening it up to see what has transpired. Let us know what you find for future reference. :thumbup:
Steve.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

I'd be astonished if this was an issue. If it is then it's with every chrono out there and not just CW's. I'd personally just enjoy the watch as intended and not worry about it.

I had a mini heart attack a couple of nights ago when bathing the wee one. Just as my watch was submerging in the water i noticed the crown was out. It did go under. It was screwed out "all" the way, but wasn't popped from the final turn in the opposite direction. Got away with it but it was a squeaky couple days watching how it ran.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

A generalisation but IIRC screw in pushers tend to be screw in just to stop you pushing them underwater. The screw down bit doesn’t add to the WR.

There are many watches without screw in pushers that have more than sufficient WR for swimming.

There are even some that have screw in pushers that can safely be operated underwater.

The CW is a dive watch with WR of 600M. It would be a complete design failure if moisture from a humid climate could get in with the pushers unscrewed.

To put your mind at risk you could get a 100m WR test done at a local watchmaker with the pushers not screwed in.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

The seals should fully protect the watch when the pushers are unscrewed, when you are not operating the chrono.

Yes you wouldn't operate the chrono underwater however I can't believe that operating it in a humid atmosphere for the very brief moment the pusher was depressed would cause moisture ingress. Were that the case, then there would have to be a manufacturer warning not to use a chrono in a humid climate which would exclude much of the planet as a potential market.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

nbg wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:54 am
To put your mind at risk you could get a 100m WR test done at a local watchmaker with the pushers not screwed in.

Neil
That Neil, is the obvious and best answer. Kudos. It wasn't obvious until you suggested it!
WatchChat on Facebook
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Leaving the pushers unscrewed isn’t an issue as stated by others because they only screw in to avoid operation under water. I thought your query was with operation in high moisture atmosphere?
Steve.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

Thermexman wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:30 pm Leaving the pushers unscrewed isn’t an issue as stated by others because they only screw in to avoid operation under water. I thought your query was with operation in high moisture atmosphere?

It is.
WatchChat on Facebook
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

I would be surprised if the watch failed due to using its functions as intended on terra firma.

Excessive moisture in the air could be present in a multitude of situations where the chrono might be used – hot commercial kitchen, manufacturing or industrial workplaces, etc. One push here and there should not cause any significant ingress.

That said, this is a CW watch we're talking about … :silent:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
drand
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by drand »

I appreciate an 'it depends' answer is not always the most helpful, but the amount of moisture that will enter the watch is down to the type of material used and how well it actually seals (stating the bleeding obvious I realise).

Both cheap seals like silicone rubber and expensive flouroelastomers like Viton, used in very harsh environments, are usually gas permeable and do absorb moisture but a tiny amount in something the size of a pusher seal and very slowly over a period of weeks, and then only in high relative humidity environments.

For the watch's internal humidity to rise it would have to be exposed to constant high humidity for a very long time - even in the most arduous climate I should hope that is unlikely.

Even then, it would have to condense to become an issue, if I understand your concern.

I hope this doesn't put you off enjoying the watch.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

I can't see how this could be an issue. If it was it would affect every watch ever made that incorporates a pusher, and the internet would be flooded (pardon the pun) with reports of watches failing in tropical climates on a daily basis. The fact that we don't see constant posts in that regard suggests that it's a non-issue.
Simple physics would suggest that literally nothing would happen during a brief press of a pusher. In the atmosphere, the pressure inside and outside the watch are the same (or near enough for the purposes of this exercise). When the pusher is pressed briefly, pressures are equal on both sides of the case, and nothing happens. Contrast this to using the pushers underwater. The pressure outside the case in higher (possibly many times higher) than inside, and when he pusher is used, water rushers from the area of low to high pressure. At equal atmospheric pressures, it would take a significant amount of time for moisture to migrate from the outside atmosphere to the inside atmosphere. Unless you are holding the pushers down for days at a time, I'm sure you will be fine.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.