Compressor in the wild!

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DogeIRL
CW-watches: 1

Re: Compressor in the wild!

Post by DogeIRL »

Thegreyman wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:06 am
DogeIRL wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:53 am Looking sharp! A bit of a shame with the text alignment. Hope they address it/sort it out. I could do without the display case back too. Great looks though.
Did CW actually admit the text was misaligned and that they are going to rectify it in subsequent batches of the watch?
Here is the reply from a user on the TZ Forum who contacted Christopher Ward:

"This was the reply from CW (and to be fair, I didn’t think they would respond)

'Thank you for your email.

This is very slightly mis aligned by 0.25mm on our first batch and the next will be rectified for this issue, it is very hard to spot.

Please let me know if you need anything else.'"
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

DogeIRL wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:55 pm Here is the reply from a user on the TZ Forum who contacted Christopher Ward:

"This was the reply from CW (and to be fair, I didn’t think they would respond)

'Thank you for your email.

This is very slightly mis aligned by 0.25mm on our first batch and the next will be rectified for this issue, it is very hard to spot.

Please let me know if you need anything else.'"
I guess I’ll buy as many of this first batch as possible, throw them in a safe deposit box, then flip when they become incredibly rare, much sought after collectors items! I’m a genius! Antiques Roadshow here I come!
Drew
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

^^^Or you could Just stick your money in the bank for a risk free guaranteed return of 0.01%. :lol:
Steve.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

0.25mm is hardly slight on such a small dial... It's probably about 10% out!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Post by mabotham »

For me, the repose from CW is poor. Recall the lot!
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

mabotham wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:05 pm For me, the repose from CW is poor. Recall the lot!
Agreed!

It’s a tough situation, however I think a recall is the only option where they come out looking good.

1. Deny the mistake, and you look bad
2. Acknowledge the mistake but keep on selling the initial batch, you look bad
3. Acknowledge the mistake, stop selling the current lot, and offer to recall those already sold for a new one (and I would suggest a modest rebate on purchase price) and you still look bad for letting them out the door in the first place, but you look stellar for being proactive in addressing the mistake.
Drew
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Proactive customer service is not a CW trait, sadly
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Tundif

Post by Tundif »

I received my Super Compressor last Wednesday, my first CW watch. I noticed the text alignment issue and to be honest the text is so small it's not really a big deal for me, but I sent an email anyway asking them about it and what my options were.

This was their response -

(Christopher Ward)

Sep 8, 2020, 8:27 GMT+1

Dear Mr Tundidor,

Thank you for your email.

My colleague xxxx responded to you on Friday I do apologise if you never received this, the text is not a fault on the watch and if it is unsuitable you can return under our 60 days for a refund. 

Please let me know how you wish to proceed. 

Kind Regards,
Last edited by Amor Vincit Omnia on Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Employee names removed
TempusFugit
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by TempusFugit »

Thanks to all those who have put the great photos up. This would have been my third CW watch purchase. Being on the spectrum I noticed the text before anything else. For detail-focused people (and that means a lot of watch collectors) the text misalignment is really bad and one wonders just how it got past all the quality control eyes. Maybe they rushed it out. Sounds like they're going to fix it so I'll hang back until that's the case.
Four CWs and too many others to list!
And loads of clocks.
And bicycles.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Tundif wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:42 am I received my Super Compressor last Wednesday, my first CW watch. I noticed the text alignment issue and to be honest the text is so small it's not really a big deal for me, but I sent an email anyway asking them about it and what my options were.

This was their response -

(Christopher Ward)

Sep 8, 2020, 8:27 GMT+1

Dear Mr Tundidor,

Thank you for your email.

My colleague xxxx responded to you on Friday I do apologise if you never received this, the text is not a fault on the watch and if it is unsuitable you can return under our 60 days for a refund. 

Please let me know how you wish to proceed. 

Kind Regards,
I feel certain the email author was referring to a mechanical watch fault and not a dial defect.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

There seems to be far more concern over the alignment of the text within forums and social media than CW is actually getting feedback.

That said...according to CW...
Should anyone wish to have their current dial changed for a correctly aligned one we will be more than happy to swap them over once the new dials have arrived. They should send an email to Vallen (vallen.hardy@christopherward.co.uk) who will be in touch to arrange things at the appropriate time.
The next batch of dials for the Super Compressor will arrive in approxinately 6 weeks.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
CW257
Senior
Senior

Post by CW257 »

Not a cheap mistake to rectify, I’d imagine.
Bertnet69

Post by Bertnet69 »

Hi, here some pics from the CW Super Compressor

Rockmastermike
Senior
Senior

Post by Rockmastermike »

Kip wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:42 pm
The next batch of dials for the Super Compressor will arrive in approxinately 6 weeks.
might make for a good Christmas present to myself :D
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

mabotham wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:05 pm For me, the repose from CW is poor. Recall the lot!
Mind if I stick my hand up here and offer what is probably a controversial counter-point?

1. The watch is functional in all respects.
2. Nothing is damaged mechanically or cosmetically.
3. Somehow these watches did get through all of CW's QC and signing-off processes.
4. I admit that I'm not following this closely enough to be clear but did anyone proceed with their purchase having already spotted the issue in all of the marketing photography?
5. Similarly did anyone proceed with a purchase in full knowledge of this issue?
6. There's a 60/60 arrangement in place so if you're unhappy with your new watch SEND IT BACK.
7. The watches which get returned under 60/60 are likely to appear in a future sale: will CW replace their dials or offer them "as is" with or without mention of the <1mm text misloaction?

Do I have any intentions? Honestly, I'm not even sure that I like the watch and that's my position. Would I buy one knowing of this issue? Yes, I probably would.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands