Most expensive SW200-1 movement watch is?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Grunty
Junior
Junior

Most expensive SW200-1 movement watch is?

Post by Grunty »

As I was passing a jewellers I saw the Oris Aquis with a grey dial, that really caught my eye.
When I looked into it, I found it had the same Sellita SW200-1 movement as my C8 pilot.
I originally wanted to know what you get for the extra £500+ but thought it would end up on the tried & tested path of 'buy it because you like it', 'CW value vs dealership/branding' etc.

Your challenge should you choose to accept is:
What is the most expensive watch you can buy with the same SW200-1 movement inside?

Given the importance and cost of a watches movement, this may help me understand the true value of CW.
I have spotted the Oris Watch Aquis Date Diamond Bracelet at £2,870.00 ............any improvements?
Yeah, I own a Timex...... deal with it!
kivelll

Re: Most expensive SW200-1 movement watch is?

Post by kivelll »

https://www.pageandcooper.com/sinn-ezm- ... wgod7QsAyA

£3,115.00
inc. vat, inside the eu

Brand: Sinn
Watch Series: EZM 9 TESTAF
MadJam250
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by MadJam250 »

Grunty wrote:As I was passing a jewellers I saw the Oris Aquis with a grey dial, that really caught my eye.
When I looked into it, I found it had the same Sellita SW200-1 movement as my C8 pilot.
I originally wanted to know what you get for the extra £500+ but thought it would end up on the tried & tested path of 'buy it because you like it', 'CW value vs dealership/branding' etc.

Your challenge should you choose to accept is:
What is the most expensive watch you can buy with the same SW200-1 movement inside?

Given the importance and cost of a watches movement, this may help me understand the true value of CW.
I have spotted the Oris Watch Aquis Date Diamond Bracelet at £2,870.00 ............any improvements?
Always thought Oris manufactured/used their own movements?
MadJam

* CWL, x2 (C2, C3)
* Steinhart Titanium O1Ti500P
* Tissot Visodate heritage incoming
* Certina DS Podium chrono
* Seiko SARB033
* Smiths vintage mechanical WC4204/s
* Brathwait Classic Slim Steel
* Invicta 8924, 9094
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

Not really the SW 200 but there are several IWC's with ETA movements. There is a a 10k+ Sarpaneva featured on Hodinkee which had a Soprod A10 movement, which is also found in the new Steinhart ocean one blue.
Tooks
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tooks »

I doubt I can beat Kivellll's effort, but just to say, there is more to a watch than its movement and future residual values will likely be different as well.

Investment tip though, not that I'm qualified to give financial advice mind, but don't buy either of the models mentioned expecting to make money. :lol:
Ideal number of watches in your collection = current number of watches + 1...
Grunty
Junior
Junior

Post by Grunty »

I doubt I can beat Kivellll's effort, but just to say, there is more to a watch than its movement and future residual values will likely be different as well.
I agree, just need to look at a 2.0l Skoda Octavia for £15k or a 2.0l Audi A6 for £45k+ to see the importance of the other stuff.
(Sorry knowledge of watches isn't good enough for analogies yet)

Interesting to think that a company can strip a movement down, machine some fancy shapes in some parts and add another zero to the price.
Yeah, I own a Timex...... deal with it!
Hernan
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Hernan »

Or just ask Sellita or ETA to do it for them. I purchased a new Breitling movement and the sealed bag it came in was obviously an ETA bag.
De Sisti
Senior
Senior

Post by De Sisti »

Are there any other 'generic' movements apart from Sellita and ETA?
Aristo Vollmer Beobachter Automatic Chronometer
Rolex Explorer
Steinhart Ocean Military Vintage
Traser Automatic
Zeno Explorer
ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ddav »

De Sisti wrote:Are there any other 'generic' movements apart from Sellita and ETA?
Soprod are appearing in more watches as they increase volume if your talking swiss.
As eastern manufactures go there is Citizen (Miyota) and Seiko that sell to third parties.
As a side note citizen bought La Joux Perret who own Arnold and Son. They also made Bremonts new proprietary movement.
C600IPB 101, C7O cosc 009/300, C8 IPK 004 ,C11 Makaira Pro 006.
W11 Amelia , Emily Double Tour (The Wife)
mibby
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by mibby »

ddav wrote:As eastern manufactures go there is Citizen (Miyota) and Seiko that sell to third parties.
And Sea-Gull.
CWL 2015 FLE, C8 Pilot, C80 Sector; C65 SC; Rolex (5); Omega (4); Tudor (2); Zenith; Breguet; Breitling; Seiko; Vostok (22); Strela; Poljot; Raketa; Sturmanskie; Sea-Gull (2); Universal; Oris; Roamer; Avia; Tissot
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-fourb: yes

Post by robert75 »

blowfish89 wrote:Not really the SW 200 but there are several IWC's with ETA movements. There is a a 10k+ Sarpaneva featured on Hodinkee which had a Soprod A10 movement, which is also found in the new Steinhart ocean one blue.
I thought IWC used SW 200 movements rather than ETA in their watches? Also I think Miyota tend to sell to third party sources more than Seiko, I guess Citizen see the money in selling to third parties and Seiko in actually mass producing the watch with the movement.
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by alphajet »

I read somewhere that the JEANRICHARD Terrascope uses a "modified" SW200-1 movement, and some of these come encrusted with diamonds and are priced over £5K.

http://www.jeanrichard.com/
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fat-Sam »

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I had the same question and watches and prices have moved on quite a bit since the last post here. (Apologies if the etiquette would be to start a new thread- not sure how it works on here)

Anyway... What would be the most expensive watch to use a sw200-1 cosc nowadays? Having just purchased a Dartmouth I’m overwhelmed at how much bang for buck there is but equally I’m intrigued at what other brands may charge for something similar. Oris and Sinn are obvious contenders in this price bracket (and a fair bit over) but I’m wondering about Tag, Iwc, breitling etc
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS