Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

C7 Apex Ltd Edition...advice.

Post by Gar787 »

A bit of advice please folks.
I bought a C7 Apex Ltd Edition in Feb of this year...the first one made, serial number 00/50. Unfortunately it stopped working & was sent back to CW. It is in Switzerland right now, according to CW having a broken barrel replaced. I have an option of a refund or return on this watch. As I got a 20% discount on the original purchase price I’m minded to have it returned...any thoughts?
Also, the fact that it is the ‘1st off the line of 50’ would this make it more/less desirable etc? Thanks in advance.
PHIL
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: C7 Apex Ltd Edition...advice.

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Hello and welcome to the forum. 8)

I see this is a very open ended question, and probably one that only you can really answer. But since you asked...

You were clearly attracted by the watch when you bought it, and your post suggests that you yourself regard the serial number as significant. It broke – that happens (perhaps a little more frequently than it should at the moment), however you got a discount and it sounds as though the repair is being done properly. If you like the watch, and presumably you certainly did when you bought it, I couldn’t see any real reason for not having it returned, with the proviso that it returns in perfect working order, of course.

Good luck with your decision.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Number 00 of 50 sounds like it's a limited edition of 51? Or it's the prototype?
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

jtc wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:50 pm Number 00 of 50 sounds like it's a limited edition of 51? Or it's the prototype?
I believe 00 would be a pre-production/prototype case.

OP, from your story I see no reason not too have the watch fixed and returned. Watches are complex mechanical devices, and sometimes they do break. It happens with all brands. In all likelihood the watch will perform flawlessly from this point on, and, failing that, it still carries the remainder of the warranty.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
drand
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by drand »

Another vote for having it sent back to you. You've got a much better chance of seeing if you get on with it if it's working properly and on your wrist for a couple of weeks.
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Gar787 »

Thank you for the info to all. As an aside, CW (Vallen) state that the watch is not a prototype or pre-production model (I asked this specifically) but is the 1st to be produced. I like the watch, not stunned by it to be fair, it has it’s flaws. But at £2300 it has to be a bargain. I was just wondering wether or not the fact that it’s the 1st to be produced makes it possibly more desirable/ valuable at resale?
PHIL
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I also have a C7 Apex. Should you fix or take a refund. Firstly the actual decision is yours to make. You did ask for an opinion though so I'll give you some thoughts.
The reasons to keep it - It's a rare watch that is still in demand by the collecting community. There's a chance that its value will increase over time. I get regular requests to sell mine based on images on public media. It is an unusual looking watch and the view through the clear caseback is just amazing. If you fix it and then decide you don't like it then you can probably sell it (especially with the serial number you have). It is a watch that gets strong reactions when you wear it. Watch nerds certainly love it.
The reasons to get a refund - Hey, that's cash in the bank you can use to buy something else. You like the watch but don't love it and the money would be nice. You don't want to wait to get the watch back, there's a wrist that needs a watch NOW. You're dissatisfied with the C7 APex because it broke and will never love it again.
If my C7 Apex went wrong I would have it repaired because I enjoy wearing it every now and then and it is a talking point in ADs and when I meet with other watch enthusiasts. I have a number of watches and it would be a stretch to say it is my favourite but it's not one of my watches that is on my current or future sell lists.
Good luck with your decision.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Amor Vincit Omnia

Gar787 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:06 pm I was just wondering wether or not the fact that it’s the 1st to be produced makes it possibly more desirable/ valuable at resale?
So...is it a keeper or a flipper? I seriously wouldn’t expect to make a profit selling on a CW no matter what the serial number. Again, the ball is in your court. It’s a really nice watch and I think I would be concerned more with keeping it than with trying to make a profit from it.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Gar787 »

That’s good advice. Ark, many thanks. I think the rarity of the watch will swing it really. It seems odd that it was still available in Feb of this year, I’m not sure but logic tells me that the number 1 watch should have long been sold bearing in mind that this watch had largely sold out pre-production on advanced orders? It arrived with quite a cheap strap which looked nothing like the one in the glossy ads, and after to-ing and fro-ing with CW I got a satisfactory strap, free Cordovan with deployment and a horrible nasty looking red hybrid strap. Customer service seems to be a snag there at the moment (unless you deal directly with Vallen that is!)
I guess the whole mess of this process, which took three months if I’m honest, took the edge off the initial buzz of landing one of these watches.
PHIL
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Gar787 »

I get that Amor, I’m really considering the rate of devalue over appreciation I guess. Perhaps it’s rarity will limit this. It’s great to get on here st last and get some opinions from ‘kindred spirits’. It did seem to take forever with I.t. issues. I’m not sure what is going on at CW these days, there seems to be a customer service shortfall (COVID or otherwise) I very recently had my C11 MSL Re-cased and serviced (£400!) after the original estimate was £200. On receipt I went to set the time and the crown fell off! I’ve been waiting two weeks for a collection bag to return it...DPD?
PHIL
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Gar787 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:06 pm But at £2300 it has to be a bargain. I was just wondering wether or not the fact that it’s the 1st to be produced makes it possibly more desirable/ valuable at resale?
A bargain? Don’t think so to be honest. As far as desirable/more valuable? Again, nope. When you are venturing into that price bracket for a CW the market is extremely small - a few die hard fan boys and that’s it. The C7 series wasn’t exactly a hit anyway. It’s not a price bracket that the bulk of watch buyers are interested in paying for a CW when there are so many other options out there - let’s be honest, ask 1000 watch buyers whether they’d drop 2 grand plus on a CW and you’ll get 990 odd responses saying ‘you’re joking, do you realise I can buy a .... for that money’ (or along those lines). The C7 Apex needs to give you, personally, the ‘wow factor’ to love wearing and enjoying it to get the value out of it. Thinking about desirability and resale shouldn’t come into it as you may drop lucky but, more likely, be disappointed.

I know there are people who will disagree and shout me down but, there’s my view/opinion.
Rustynuts

Post by Rustynuts »

Interesting thread this, as a newbie I’ve no idea what this c7 apex looks like...certainly seems a high price purchase price...hope you get to love it ..at least for a while.Any photos?
Amor Vincit Omnia

Rustynuts wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:04 pm Interesting thread this, as a newbie I’ve no idea what this c7 apex looks like...certainly seems a high price purchase price...hope you get to love it ..at least for a while.Any photos?
As ever the CW Archive Is your friend! 8)
Steve

Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Gar787 »

I’m wondering if I should push my luck too. On another thread, there’s a discussion as to when a CW that has been pre-worn or repaired can ever be classed as ‘new’ or ‘nearly new?.’ Maybe a few hundred quid for my inconvenience and the fact that the watch was knackered on arrival may swing the deal for me. Cheeky as I did get it 20% cheaper that it should have been, but, if you don’t ask...etc.
PHIL
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

There is a story behind the C7 Apex that appeared for sale this February. As I understand it there was one unsold C7 Apex. It was kept at CW Towers for a regular buyer of CWs who said they would collect and pay for it. They never did and so, eventually, the watch was put up for sale this year. I actually saw this "unsold C7 Apex" when I visited CW Towers last November.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris