Not a Fan of DHL

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nordwulf

Re: Not a Fan of DHL

Post by nordwulf »

DHL is pretty small in the USA. Packages from DHL for me are handed over to the US Postal Service and are delivered without the need for a signature. Fortunately mail service in my area is good and safe but not a great thing when packages are left at your front door. Fortunately I can have packages delivered to my office during the day.

I wish they would use UPS or Fedex for delivery and returns for the US. CW doesn't seem to know DHL is a poor choice for the US.

Facemasks for delivery drivers are the least of my worries..
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

nordwulf wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:40 pm CW doesn't seem to know DHL is a poor choice for the US.
That’s exactly why I posed the question about letting CW know. I seem to remember there was a great deal of complaining about DHL when CW first switched over to them for international delivery.
Drew
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Other than their FIESTY clearance fees, DHL is excellent here in Canada. DHL uses their own fleet and uniformed drivers. My latest CW arrived on Monday and the driver rang the bell, set the parcel out of sight and around the corner and awaited an answer at the door well distanced 5M away.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Viognier wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:53 pm Other than their FIESTY clearance fees, DHL is excellent here in Canada. DHL uses their own fleet and uniformed drivers. My latest CW arrived on Monday and the driver rang the bell, set the parcel out of sight and around the corner and awaited an answer at the door well distanced 5M away.
Definitely NOT my experience! In comparison to UPS and FedEx, DHL comes off as amateurish and unprofessional. Based on my experience, I’d rank the various delivery services in this order: UPS, FedEx (they never knock!), then DHL. Amazon delivery is just all over the place in terms of the experience.
Drew
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Perhaps because DHL is a more established larger player here (still smaller than Purolator, FedEx or UPS).

Our FedEx and Purolators guys in my area are excellent as well. Both drop off packages around corner of steps (out of plain sight), ring and then walk back to their truck. No problem during COVID when i'm home....

My Amazon experience is identical to yours; some understand to hide packages out of sight from porch pirates.....others literally toss and dash off
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I have bought from jomashop in the US and they ship internationally with DHL.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:42 am In UK, CW use DPD for watches, who I find excellent with their one hour delivery slot, with Royal Mail for Straps etc.
That’s interesting, Guy. I’ve had a despatch email for my strap and it’s coming on Monday via DPD.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Aussie
CW-watches: 2

Post by Aussie »

When my recent CW purchase was delivered to Australia by DHL, I tracked it across the ocean and through Japan, then into Australia and eventually to the delivery driver. Was so exited to get my new watch.....
Well with three of my family in the front room of my house all doing their own quiet business, front door open (just wire door closed), and the family warned out that the DHL delivery man was coming very soon - I received a message to say 'Missed Delivery'!!!!!!
YGTBSM!! So I rang DHL straight away, and was told that he was too far away to return and that we'll need to schedule another day.
No card was left, and I don't see how he was able to come to the house and try a delivery when the door bell didn't ring, let alone knock (three people in the front room with the door open, waiting for him!!!
So anyway - I was really annoyed. Would I use DHL by choice - nope. Yes I get it may have just been the one delivery driver - but I hate having to arrange to pick it up from their location the next day because they don't even try and deliver. Australia post and parcel delivery works it out each day, why not DHL???
Watches:
C8
C60 Trident Pro 600
C60 Elite 1000
GreenHighlander
CW-watches: 6

Post by GreenHighlander »

I had a C60 Sapphire despatched last Tuesday (7/28). Cleared customs in NYC on Friday 7/31. On 8/1 it was shipped to Cincinnati. For those unfamiliar with US geography, by car I am less than 5 hours from NYC but more than 10 from Cincinnati. I am only an hour from Boston. Anyway, the watch arrived in Cincy at 4AM Saturday and there it has remained despite an original delivery date of yesterday. Yesterday morning, I called DHL to make sure they did not need anything else from me and was told it would be here today. Still in Cincinnati as I post this and the online tracker says an estimated delivery date is unavailable. Except for my first order from Gnomon, every order shipped via DHL has had issues and delays even pre-Covid.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

GreenHighlander wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:42 pm I had a C60 Sapphire despatched last Tuesday (7/28). Cleared customs in NYC on Friday 7/31. On 8/1 it was shipped to Cincinnati. For those unfamiliar with US geography, by car I am less than 5 hours from NYC but more than 10 from Cincinnati. I am only an hour from Boston. Anyway, the watch arrived in Cincy at 4AM Saturday and there it has remained despite an original delivery date of yesterday. Yesterday morning, I called DHL to make sure they did not need anything else from me and was told it would be here today. Still in Cincinnati as I post this and the online tracker says an estimated delivery date is unavailable. Except for my first order from Gnomon, every order shipped via DHL has had issues and delays even pre-Covid.
That doesn't sound too bad even if it is making its way to you via an unnecessary route.

On comparison I ordered 22mm springbars from Barton (I had a fuzzy moment and thought I was on a a different UK based site) and they showed up 8 weeks later. Even then, they were 23mm instead :thumbdown:

Still, they sent out what I reckon is a ridiculous order to cross continents with and it did reach me.
Cypher

Post by Cypher »

I'm currently living and working in Spain and 85% of the time DHL are "on the ball" but when they are bad it's hell to try and get someone at their end to sort it. In the UK I have had no problems to date.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Ok, not DHL, but I’m not currently a fan of UPS... A parcel shipped from Japan to Oz went via China. It sat there for 6 days as apparently they now only have one flight a week from China to Singapore - its next hop in the journey, where it has now sat for two days. This was supposed to be a 3 day delivery.

Compared to them, DHL have been shining beacons of all that is good in the delivery world...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

gaf1958 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:18 pm Ok, not DHL, but I’m not currently a fan of UPS... A parcel shipped from Japan to Oz went via China. It sat there for 6 days as apparently they now only have one flight a week from China to Singapore - its next hop in the journey, where it has now sat for two days. This was supposed to be a 3 day delivery.

Compared to them, DHL have been shining beacons of all that is good in the delivery world...
You misread it Gary, it said a 3 stay delivery! China, Singapore, Oz?
Steve.
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

I ordered some things for Christmas/Birthday's later this year 9-days ago. All arrived from India today by DHL. Superb service, tracked all the way no problem, unlike a well known US company - brown vans - who some how have managed to send a parcel to more or less 45-states before sending it to Germany!
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

Here is some fun. I purchased a new colorway of the timex q in May. I got a shipping notice from Timex 2 days later. For 10 days straight I got a text that it would be delivered. It kept telling me 10 days PAST the delivery day it was out for delivery.

I immediately didn't like the watch, so I set up a return. Here starts the second round of fun.

Timex issued me a ups return label, to be delivered to a usps. So...ups bar code through usps. My ups store took it...but said they couldn't scan it since it was usps, but the usps driver scans on pickup. Ok no worries (mistake one, ups store was clueless). I dropped off another package there the same day.

My second package made it to destination 2 days later. My timex return didn't get scanned. I checked daily for 30 days. So I went to the post office to file a lost package claim. The lady at the post office then told me, that same morning, the package was scanned at that post office.

So here's what happened. The package was picked up by usps and placed into a UPS box in the back of the post office. It sat there for 31 days, until the UPS pick up man came by. So here is the scam. For usps through ups, a guy from the nearby major ups hub goes to usps and picks these packages up from usps when the "box" in the back is full. If it's not full. Anything in the box remains there until it is. So. Ups went to usps to pick up my package, then shipped through ups to the post office near timex returns. When the package got there, it went into box in the back of that postal office, so that usps could deliver it to timex. Guess what?

That package will sit in that box until it is full, and the usps will deliver those packages. I was tracking and it my texts daily for 35 days said it was out for delivery to timex....with the original delivery date 35 days from the first notice.

It took 68 days for my return to get to timex. DHL is a frickin dream compared to these idiots.

I worked with customer service at timex for this whole time and they were great. This apparently is normal for timex......

Brash

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk