C60 Lympstone

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
b00ndocksaint
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Re: C60 Lympstone

Post by b00ndocksaint »

jimbo wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:56 pm not sure I will buy one, shame, very proud to have been one of the "proper" Marines :)
Proper Marine but not original Commando, that would be the Army 8)
Rolex Sub 116610LN / Tudor BB58 / Omega Seamaster 300M Pro 2531.80.00 / Breitling Avenger II Blackbird / Vintage 50s Omega / Bremont S501 / C60 Bronze / C60 Abyss / C65 / Dreyfuss Co 1974 / Vostok Amphibias / Skagen 234XXLT / Zelos Mako Bronze
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

Yep....but as the Marines were best at it....they kicked out "Percy Pongo" and left it to us :)

Amor...etc... Your uncle could have also been named "Percy", as the saying goes leading to "Pongo's" "where ever Percy goes...the Pong goes too!"

The tradition of getting a "Bluenose certificate" still continues I believe, I got mine when i first crossed the Arctic circle back in the day, and a second for crossing the equator (now that is a fun day!)

This is because RM's/Navy think that the Army don't keep as clean as they should!

RAF are nick named "Crabs" and I think that one comes from the second world war when in the desert the RAF were the first to use a lotion in the groin area to help reduce the effect of crabs/lice....who knows if that is true, but to us "Royals" they are crabs

Malcom's idea of a commando dagger second hand is sound!

Also having the compass in the watch may be too much info for a "Bootneck" haha

At least it's a big watch, cause when you join up they take your brain out, and give you a big watch, when you leave they ask if you want your brain back or to keep the big watch.......hence my normal daily user is a Seiko Monster :)
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
b00ndocksaint
Senior
Senior

Post by b00ndocksaint »

From what I've been told RAF are crabs because their uniform was similar in shade to crabfat - a colloquial term for a pubic lice treatment. Obviously things get spun a million ways over the years so the truth may be something completely random!
Rolex Sub 116610LN / Tudor BB58 / Omega Seamaster 300M Pro 2531.80.00 / Breitling Avenger II Blackbird / Vintage 50s Omega / Bremont S501 / C60 Bronze / C60 Abyss / C65 / Dreyfuss Co 1974 / Vostok Amphibias / Skagen 234XXLT / Zelos Mako Bronze
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

b00ndocksaint wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:42 pm From what I've been told RAF are crabs because their uniform was similar in shade to crabfat - a colloquial term for a pubic lice treatment. Obviously things get spun a million ways over the years so the truth may be something completely random!
I’ve always heard the same, and it’s “documented” around the internet too, so must be true :lol:

https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/The_Royal_Air_Force
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

mvlow wrote:
jimbo wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:56 pm As a former RM Commando, I must admit I am a little disappointed with this watch.

Maybe like also suggested a dark/green face could have worked, but you can't please everyone

not sure I will buy one, shame, very proud to have been one of the "proper" Marines :)
Also as a former RM Commando I have to mostly agree with Jimbo. I have been looking forward to this release, but now I've seen it I'm on the fence as to whether I would buy it. There are other RM options out there such as Bremont (more expensive) and Citizen (less expensive). The compass doesn't do much for me. If I wanted a watch with a compass that is not digital, I would get a Seiko Alpinist for a lot less money. I like the overall look of the watch, kind of like a mechanical G-shock, but don't know if it speaks RM to me enough to buy one as a special watch to commemorate my time in the Royal Marines, which is what I was hoping for. A standard C60 with the same design, colorway, and DLC case, with no chronometer movement or compass would be a nice watch for less money. I'll have to let this one marinate for a while.

Following on to what Jimbo said about proper Marines. As I now live in the USA I have a lot of friends who are former USMC. I would always tell them that RM stands for Real Marines :)
Nice try.....I think Replica Marine fits.....Image

Jk....all good fun!
Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

brash47 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:47 pm
mvlow wrote:
jimbo wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:56 pm As a former RM Commando, I must admit I am a little disappointed with this watch.

not sure I will buy one, shame, very proud to have been one of the "proper" Marines :)

Following on to what Jimbo said about proper Marines. As I now live in the USA I have a lot of friends who are former USMC. I would always tell them that RM stands for Real Marines :)
Nice try.....I think Replica Marine fits.....]

Jk....all good fun!
Royal Marines birthday October 28, 1664
USMC birthday November 10th, 1775

Can't replicate something that doesn't exist for another 111 years :D All in good fun as well, I love my USMC brothers.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

Good times

nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

A high-accuracy quartz movement would actually be more suitable for this watch. Or a movement with solar charging and atomic time synching. But I think we all know not many in the armed forces will use a $1000 delicate mechanical watch for timekeeping. It really seems more for retired RMs and regular watch enthusiasts who are attracted by the marketing and image of the watch.

After all, many of us have dive, pilot and motorsport watches while not many are actually divers, pilots and race car drivers. And that's ok.
b00ndocksaint
Senior
Senior

Post by b00ndocksaint »

I've worn my Omega Seamaster 300m on every operational deployment and parachute jump I've done :thumbup: for actual accuracy I've always had a GPS
These users thanked the author b00ndocksaint for the post:
Rezn8r
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

nordwulf wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:21 pm A high-accuracy quartz movement would actually be more suitable for this watch. Or a movement with solar charging and atomic time synching. But I think we all know not many in the armed forces will use a $1000 delicate mechanical watch for timekeeping. It really seems more for retired RMs and regular watch enthusiasts who are attracted by the marketing and image of the watch.

After all, many of us have dive, pilot and motorsport watches while not many are actually divers, pilots and race car drivers. And that's ok.
The RAF had the same thought in the 80s, as they replaced the mechanical (Valjoux 7733) based chronographs, with the Seiko Gen 1, which was a superb watch and one I wish I had been able to keep. Lovely comfortable webbing and leather bund combo strap and the 1/10th second subdial was quite unique at the time, watching that thing spin once per second was quite mesmerising :lol:

However, I have no doubt that a mechanical would have done a good job too, but I suspect that the quartz was more reliable and likely cost effective :thumbup:

https://wornandwound.com/review/time-sp ... ronograph/

SEIKO_7A28_RAF_WHOLE1.jpg
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
hadon2525
Junior
Junior

Post by hadon2525 »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:53 pm
hadon2525 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:06 pm ...and could someone please, in layman's terms, explain how to work the inner compass. Ta.
In the northern hemisphere, orient the hour hand to point towards the direction of the sun. Then turn the inner ring until due south splits the difference between the hour hand and 12 on the dial. Now the cardinal directions are roughly oriented. If you’re in an area observing daylight savings time, you got to use standard time for this.*
* all this according to the YouTube video I watched yesterday when I asked myself the same question.
Very good of you.
I must admit, I seem to know what direction I'm facing all the time!
I thought everyone did, but they don't. Maybe it's a primal thing.
Having said that, if I'm hiking etc, I ALWAYS take a compass anyway.
Thanks.
rambothejambo
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by rambothejambo »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:23 pm I like it.

Does being ex-Army qualify for me to buy one?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
No Guy it doesn't :lol: unless you've completed the All Arms Commando Course and earned your green lid :silent: Gary.
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

As an ex Bootie, I wouldn't buy the "Dartmouth" as much as I like it, and would like one, because of the Navy fouled anchor on the case back. I would if they would put the G and L on the back of it for a one off for me, but the "lympstone" has a different sized case so may not fit.

As a "Perc" as "Bahnstormer" is i expect him wanting the G and L on his wrist means he really wishes he had become a "cabbage head". But if I had been a Pongo i wouldn't wear it. I suspect Rambothejambo is right :)

It's his money at the end of the day? Just his conscience he has to live with :)
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

jimbo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:45 pm As an ex Bootie, I wouldn't buy the "Dartmouth" as much as I like it, and would like one, because of the Navy fouled anchor on the case back. I would if they would put the G and L on the back of it for a one off for me, but the "lympstone" has a different sized case so may not fit.

As a "Perc" as "Bahnstormer" is i expect him wanting the G and L on his wrist means he really wishes he had become a "cabbage head". But if I had been a Pongo i wouldn't wear it. I suspect Rambothejambo is right :)

It's his money at the end of the day? Just his conscience he has to live with :)

No Fouled Anchor on my Dartmouth only a Pussers Crown. Dolphin 38
C694C062-90B4-4A2E-BC38-6A4CE1829471.jpeg
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

oberonfoto wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:10 pm
jimbo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:45 pm As an ex Bootie, I wouldn't buy the "Dartmouth" as much as I like it, and would like one, because of the Navy fouled anchor on the case back. I would if they would put the G and L on the back of it for a one off for me, but the "lympstone" has a different sized case so may not fit.

No Fouled Anchor on my Dartmouth only a Pussers Crown. Dolphin 38
I like the Dartmouth too, but like you couldn't wear it, as it just wouldn't feel right :)

Wouldn't it be good if they provided a (paid) option where you could specify the case back you'd like for certain watches (where the size/style clearly matches)... so Dartmouth and Cranwell could be had with perhaps even just a standard CW Trident or in my instance, I could specify the RAF badge on the back of the Dartmouth, as looking at them, I'm fairly sure they must have the same case back :thumbup:

Very unlikely to happen, as it's a lot of hassle for CW, and after all, they do have the bespoke watch design system for this kind of thing.

C65_Cranwell_Caseback.jpg
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King