A custom movement for the C60 Sapphire?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DaveTucker
CW-watches: 3

A custom movement for the C60 Sapphire?

Post by DaveTucker »

I've just about made my mind up to buy a C60 Sapphire, and if I do, it will be my 3rd CW watch. This has come about due to Covid, "how?" you might ask. Well I've worked for Airbus for 33yrs and now due to major cutbacks in the workforce I'm taking early retirement and treating myself to a retirement present. I have a question about the C60 Sapphire, the Sellita movement is just fine but it would be really great if prettier SW200-1 movement could be dropped in. Would it be possible to drop a different Sellita movement in to the C60 to really make the exhibition case back worthwhile?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: A custom movement for the C60 Sapphire?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Hello and welcome. If I understand your question aright, you would like a more highly decorated movement, given that the Sapphire already uses the SW200-1.

I wouldn’t have thought there was much of a possibility of that, and obviously you would need to contact CW about it.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by MarkingTime »

It's not the back of the watch that's the problem. The front end of this type of movement is, in my opinion, butt ugly and not designed to be on display in the first place.
Only one more

Post by Only one more »

I think the issue is the front of the movement under the sapphire will still look the same which ever grade sw200-1 goes into it. I may be wrong though as you never see the fronts.

If they are better decorated, it would be a simple job for any watch repair place to swap out the movements.
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

I'll give some owner insight as well here. And I don't often say this. If you haven't seen this watch in person,, you really haven't a clue to what it looks like just based on CW product shots. It is a different beast in person. So although you may have an opinion based on those good ole product shots, you're clueless as to what this watch looks like.

The back display case is not nearly as visible as the pics might show. It is a pretty dark blue and you really have to light it up to see even the rotor.

From the front, you can see the date numbers pretty easily, but again its not like having clear glass to look into the watch. You see some of the movement, but again, you would have to light it up pretty good to really see it.

With the sapphire you get a nice "hint" or glimpse of the movement, but its not really see through.

And since its not skeletonized, you can't see "through" the watch at all.

Due to its 40mm size, the dial is actually smaller compared to what you are expecting to see. This all adds to what I think is a great presentation.

The sapphire dial is awesome and quite a novelty, but its a dial and not a see through piece of glass showing the full movement.

The display back is dark and it gives that "ocean" vibe to the watch, but its nowhere near a real display back.

I suggest buying the watch
It is absolutely stunning in the flesh.

1-4: Pics taken on a total clear sky, around 12pm. This is a bright as you can get it and the photos are zoomed up. When you're just looking at it on your wrist, even im this light. You'd have to really focus in to see more than the date wheel.

5-8: standard indoor lighting, showing different angles to light.

9: standard lume shot

10: lume and light shine through caseback

Brash
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Zax
Junior
Junior

Post by Zax »

Excellent pictures! Definitely captures the dial well in different light. Hoping to add one of these someday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaveTucker
CW-watches: 3

Post by DaveTucker »

I now have my C60 Sapphire, and what a cracking watch it is! The view of the movement is indeed subtle and would not be improved by a more decorative one. Looking at the back of the case is like looking into a deep pool of water, it's just fabulous. My wife really loves it as well and is considering buying a CW watch for herself.
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

Its quite a different watch I'm person

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

DaveTucker wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:05 pm I now have my C60 Sapphire, and what a cracking watch it is! The view of the movement is indeed subtle and would not be improved by a more decorative one. Looking at the back of the case is like looking into a deep pool of water, it's just fabulous. My wife really loves it as well and is considering buying a CW watch for herself.
Congratulations on the watch, it is different and the owner reviews seem very positive, especially when comparing to the sales/marketing shots. Wear in good health and enjoy.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
tralls
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 10

Post by tralls »

I would really love to see an SH21 in the C60 Sapphire. I think they would be a match made in heaven.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

^^ Perhaps, but it would make the watch at least 2mm thicker. This would likely take away from the elegance of the design.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

Have they improved the much maligned CW lume? My C7 Apex lume was as lame as ever to be honest.
PHIL
KornSaksakorn
Senior
Senior

Post by KornSaksakorn »

tralls wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:43 am I would really love to see an SH21 in the C60 Sapphire. I think they would be a match made in heaven.
Me too !
Korn Saksakorn S.
Squalus
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 6

Post by Squalus »

KornSaksakorn wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:47 am
tralls wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:43 am I would really love to see an SH21 in the C60 Sapphire. I think they would be a match made in heaven.
Me too !
I would prefer it in the 42mm case.
KornSaksakorn
Senior
Senior

Post by KornSaksakorn »

Squalus wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:01 pm
KornSaksakorn wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:47 am
Me too !
I would prefer it in the 42mm case.
Your preference will come first based on Loupe 18.
Korn Saksakorn S.