Is it time for a service

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
maniac_mike

Is it time for a service

Post by maniac_mike »

I've worn my MK II C60 Trident Pro 600 every single day for the past 3 years. I never take it off, whether it be running, diving, snowboarding, I always have it on. At first, the watch would lose about 4-5 seconds a day. A year later, it was about -11 seconds a day and stayed that way for quite sometime.

Now, the past few weeks it has been running +20 seconds a day, which is a little bit out of my comfort zone. Do you guys think I need to get a service done?
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Is it time for a service

Post by Thegreyman »

maniac_mike wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:14 pm
Now, the past few weeks it has been running +20 seconds a day, which is a little bit out of my comfort zone. Do you guys think I need to get a service done?
I would first check that it is not magnetised as that could explain the gain in time.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
maniac_mike

Post by maniac_mike »

I was under the impression that a magnetized watch would be gaining or losing a significantly more amount of time and it would also be much more sporadic?
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the level of magnetization. It is very simple to check with a compass. You can also use an app for your smartphone (Lepsi). Might save you down time and some cash with your watch. Too simple not to at least check before sending it in.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by MarkingTime »

Magnetisation can pull the balance spring coils tighter, which will act to speed the watch up. Demagnetisation will cost very little.

Wear to a watch will more often cause slow down, as the moving parts running less smoothly and cause drag in the drivetrain. Slow down could also be caused by drying lubrication, but I think it unlikely at three years of use, assuming it was new when you had it, that is.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

Three years of regular use is time for a service. If I recall, CW recommend everyone two years?

Alternatively, CW do offer a timing regulation adjustment for around £20 (assuming no other damage needs attention). I’ve asked them to do this to a couple of my watches and, although it took a few weeks to get the watch back, I felt it was a great service for very little cost.

Hope this helps and keep safe,

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I had a Raymond Weil chrono that went from running about 5s/day slow, to about 8 secs/minute fast. Now I know, I assume it had got magnetised somehow, and I could have sorted it myself. I sent it back to RW and they "repaired it", and it's back to what it was originally. Maybe they didn't even open the case at all.
maniac_mike

Post by maniac_mike »

I think you guys may be right about the watch being magnetized. When I hold it up to my compass app on my phone, the compass goes crazy. I bought one of those cheap de-magnetizers on Amazon, i'll report back and let you know if it fixes the issue. Thank you for the suggestions.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Jcalder68 wrote:Three years of regular use is time for a service. If I recall, CW recommend everyone two years?

Alternatively, CW do offer a timing regulation adjustment for around £20 (assuming no other damage needs attention). I’ve asked them to do this to a couple of my watches and, although it took a few weeks to get the watch back, I felt it was a great service for very little cost.

Hope this helps and keep safe,

C
To my recollection the CW recommendation for servicing is every four years.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

Service recommendations vary wildly between different manufacturers using exactly the same movement. It is usually based on a worse case scenario and more often than not, will have no relation to the actual condition of the watch, which in most cases, will run happily for many years without servicing. A lot depends on how well it was assembled.
maniac_mike

Post by maniac_mike »

So I bought a demagnetizer and it looks like the watched was magnetized. Now it's back to losing 14 seconds a day! :problem:

Oh well, thanks for the help everyone.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

Sounds like it just needs regulating.