C65 battle: Trident vintage vs Sandhurst

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
ModernArrow10

C65 battle: Trident vintage vs Sandhurst

Post by ModernArrow10 »

Hi,

Nice to be here.

I am just hesitating between two great watches: Sandhurst vs Trident vintage.

However they are in the same nice case, have the same crystal and bracelet, altought look different.
Sandhurst has COSC movement but simplier made dial (not aesthetically) while the Trident Vintage leverages from applied indices and date window but only standard grade movement (stated by customer support) inside.

I felt the standard movement in Trident a bit less for the money even it might run very accurate, while the Sandhurst's price seems high even with the "usual" coupons. So I like both but I cannot justify the price despite being well built pieces with a lot of warranty but heavily decreasing value on the used market on the downside.

What is your suggestion - not appearance wise?

Thanks.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: C65 batte: Trident vintage vs Sandhurst

Post by jkbarnes »

For my money, the COSC certification is not worth the price of admission for the Sandhurst. For example, I very much like the Dartmouth. If I bought one it would be for the aesthetics with the COSC being just an added bonus. As a matter of fact, the added cost of the COSC certification is a factor that would make me hold back.

The movements for both watches will be more or less indistinguishable to you as a daily wearer, so buy the one that speaks to you the most. And if you can’t decide then just wait on the purchase until one model stands out.
Drew
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: C65 battle: Trident vintage vs Sandhurst

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

TBH, regardless of the Sandhurst’s inner workings, I don’t like it and it would be a distant third in any two way comparison 😁
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I'd go for the watch you like the most for the money. The Trident vintage is a real strap magnet of a watch and looks great on a bracelet or variety of leather straps. The would probably be my choice, I did in fact used to own the mk1 of this watch which is visually very similar.

The COSC is a nice to have and it wouldn't sway the decision for me. I've tended to find the CW non-COSC movements pretty accurate and much better than spec.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
kidevil
CW-watches: 2

Post by kidevil »

It depends if you want an addition to your watch collection or one watch to be worn in all occasions. If the latter, I think the c65 trident would handle more occasions with sensible changes of straps. The sandhurst is bit more special and has a military vibe. Makes a great outdoor watch.
markee
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by markee »

I agree with you all on the plus points of the trident but would like to add a plus for the Sandhurst. I like the CW Logo back in the more traditional 12 position. I think it gives it a nice symmetry.
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

If you can’t justify the price buy something else
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

ModernArrow10 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:57 pmSo I like both but I cannot justify the price despite being well built pieces with a lot of warranty but heavily decreasing value on the used market on the downside.

What is your suggestion - not appearance wise?
I'd say the same as kiter65. If you feel you can't justify it, buy something different.

Alternatively, bide your time and try and hunt down a nice, pre-owned example on the used market. Let someone else take the hit for you.
Ryan
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Richard and Ryan...

I think I might have read it differently. I assumed the OP needed to make a choice because he couldn't afford both?

Perhaps he will clarify. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
ModernArrow10

Post by ModernArrow10 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:34 am Richard and Ryan...

I think I might have read it differently. I assumed the OP needed to make a choice because he couldn't afford both?

Perhaps he will clarify. :D
Yes I cannot afford both, otherwise it would not be a problem. :)
I want one but don't know which: the pricey or the one with standard movement.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

For me, the key difference if I was deciding between the two is that the Sandhurst doesn't have a date window, making it easier to wear in rotation. COSC may not add value, but as it doesn't add cost I personally feel it's a bonus.

The trident vintage is a good looking watch, but is a bit too generic - it reminds me of Seiko. Of course, the understated elegance is rather the point isn't it?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Convenience of no date, with bonus of COSC movement leans toward the Sandhurst.

W10 Military heritage or luxury watch design; W10 wins it for me being ex-Army.

Availability a consideration? Trident Vintage is available now, Sandhurst on pre-order for mid-September. Also worth waiting for the next £100 off voucher.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

You could use the just newly published discount code to get 15% off the Trident Vintage, not applicable to the military range though.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
ModernArrow10

Post by ModernArrow10 »

Thanks all for replying.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jcalder68 »

I have both in my collection and both get their fair share of wrist time.

For more formal occasions I tend to go for the Trident Vintage. Unusually for me it is now spending most of its time on its metal bracelet than in any other type of strap, although it does sometimes get switched into a smart black or brown leather alternative.

For more relaxed and casual times I opt for my Sandhurst. It has never been worn on its bracelet; it only ever sees wrist time with a variety of distressed leather straps and NATOs. For me, I also appreciate its more accurate timekeeping and this combination of lower formality and better accuracy means this watch is worn nearly every day.

My Sandhurst is my favoured of the two. Part of this is its accuracy (and peace of mind I get from knowing this), part is how it’s aesthetics fit better with my lifestyle and part because some of its initial cost was gifted to me for a birthday so it has considerable sentimental value too. I could get away with it as my only watch (just about), but I do need a more smart/dressy watch from time to time so fall back to the Trident Vintage here.

What is your intended uses for both watches and how do they fit in with the rest of your collection? If your need/lifestyle tends to be more relaxed and casual, and if more consistent accuracy is important to you then go for the Sandhurst. If you need a more dressy piece and can get away with less reliable accuracy then I would suggest the Trident Vintage.

Hope this helps and keep safe,

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.