New Malvern 595

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
markee
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

New Malvern 595

Post by markee »

Hi everyone. This is my first post so please accept my apologies if this has already been covered. I’ve owned as CW for a couple of years now and really love it. I tried and failed to pick up a 595 in the summer sale and notice It has now been discontinued. What are the thoughts of the CW experts in the forum about if or when they are likely to bring out another ultra-thin model? Perhaps one with a second hand?
I hope everyone is enjoying the summer heatwave.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: New Malvern 595

Post by 0uatiOW »

Welcome.

Nothing much conclusive from me I’m afraid.

These days CW seems to be focusing on sports watches primarily; they haven’t made any noises about any plain dress watches recently, and 2020 was meant to be the year of the chronograph so there may not be another ultra-thin watch in the near future. The 595 does turn up in the sales and on eBay (there are 7 listed right now, some brand new).

Nothing is set in stone however, and “Dress” is still one of CW’s 4 pillars. They marketed the 595 quite heavily, so you never can tell what they will do next.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

Hi,

I got a 595 in the sale, it’s a lovely watch. If you are interested, there are still watches appearing on the Christopher Ward Clearance page and I have seen the odd 595 pop up in the last few days, so might be worth keeping an eye out.

Cheers
Gary
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
markee
Senior
Senior

Post by markee »

Thanks both, that is what I had suspected. I have been bidding furiously on those eBay listings but no luck yet. It does feel like perhaps they are focusing on sports watches as even some of the dress watches are more cross-over, vintage style sport watches.

I’ll keep looking on the clearance page, I had just assumed they had all gone but they must drip feed them into the sale very slowly!

Best wishes
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

One always suspects, when a model is retired after a fairly short life, that it wasn’t really a roaring success in the marketplace, so to speak. For me it wasn’t quite right. Although I do like watches of this type, and daydream about owning a Piaget Altiplano, the lack of indices and a seconds hand rather put me off. It was rather too close in appearance to some of the generic minimalist watches launched by various kickstarters and the likes of Daniel Wellington. It also came for me at a period when I was significantly reducing the amount of time when I wore dress watches. Had they launched it three years earlier, I would certainly have bought one!

CW have always been willing to innovate and have produced some really nice watches in the Dress/Classic Collection. You can see them here in the CW Archive.

It would certainly appear that the best sellers have consistently been in the dive watch and sports watch styles, so it would seem logical to focus on what is known to be popular.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

There's a couple there now in the clearance sale...
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
markee
Senior
Senior

Post by markee »

Thanks for the heads up. I jumped straight onto the website when I read your message. First of all the bracelet resizing function on the website froze then, even once I had one in my shopping bag, the whole thing froze while I was putting my credit card details in. By the time I got hold of someone i customer services they said that it was sold to someone else! So frustrating. How can a company with such attention to detail in watchmaking have such an unreliable website?

Still a few on ebay though. The search continues.....
Cheers
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

It would be probably be better to let a buyer put one or two watches in their basket and then give them 5 minutes to check out. A lot of theatre ticket bookings work like that. I don't think it would be so fair to let a single shopper put a lot of watches in a basket. Alternatively let everyone put the watch in their basket, and then race to the checkout, which is what they do.

I suppose it's a website design thing. It will depend on the commercial package they use as to what they can do.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

markee wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:47 pm How can a company with such attention to detail in watchmaking have such an unreliable website?
$64,000 question. Though I’d be quite happy with receiving $1 for every time it has been asked!* Welcome to Sales World. You’re still remarkably cheerful – well done.

*Actually I wouldn’t mind $1 for every time the new website has asked me to accept cookies! :problem:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Gripper
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Gripper »

markee wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:47 pm Thanks for the heads up. I jumped straight onto the website when I read your message. First of all the bracelet resizing function on the website froze then, even once I had one in my shopping bag, the whole thing froze while I was putting my credit card details in. By the time I got hold of someone i customer services they said that it was sold to someone else! So frustrating. How can a company with such attention to detail in watchmaking have such an unreliable website?

Still a few on ebay though. The search continues.....
Cheers
Couple on clearance now!
Mark
So I went to buy a watch, and the man in the shop said "Analogue." I said "No, just a watch."
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by gannet »

595 in the clearance right now...
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
markee
Senior
Senior

Post by markee »

Thanks again for the heads up. I am pleased to report that I have managed to get myself a 595 in mint condition from one of the fantastic members of the forum. Thank you @jaspercat. It was so much easier and more efficient than buying a nearly new watch from the CW website.
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by gannet »

Glad to hear you're sorted :thumbsup:
-- gannet.
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Great news, forum comes up trumps again for a genuine purchaser.
Enjoy the watch!
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

It worked out perfectly for both of us, I got two 595 watches in the July sale, one for me and the other intended as a gift for family. Plans changed and I was on the verge of returning it, but as a result of this thread, thought I’d reach out and offer to @markee for the price I paid plus postage only :D

Very glad to have helped and that we both now have these lovely watches, thanks to the forum :thumbup:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King