How durable is the titanium bracelet on the C60 Elite 1000?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
NeWard
Senior
Senior

How durable is the titanium bracelet on the C60 Elite 1000?

Post by NeWard »

Do any of the owners experience scratches often on them or it is not worth buying? :clap:
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: How durable is the titanium bracelet on the C60 Elite 1000?

Post by tikkathree »

Is there a bracelet which doesn't scratch? Are you coming from unhappy experience of titanium bracelets on other brands?
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
nwnjw01
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by nwnjw01 »

I bought myself one of the titanium bracelets for my C60 Elite 1000, which came originally with one of the original Hybrid straps.

I have found it to be an excellent bracelet, it has transformed my experience with this particular watch, (probably helped by my distaste for the hybrid strap),
It is Very comfortable, adjustable and in my opinion enhances the look and wearability of this watch immensely, I am very glad that I took the chance and bought it.
It has the quick fit mechanism and solid fitted lugs, the adjustable catch function is a great idea, you can open it up to max size, close the clasp and then tighten the fit whilst wearing it, thus enabling a good fit without any guesswork, a really good feature.

Yes it does show scratches etc a bit more than a stainless steel now would, (probably), but that’s a function of the material it’s made of, and would happen regardless of manufacturer. And can be lessened by using one of the touch up pads (like a sort of dry Brillo pad)

My main Criticisms are price... it’s nearly twice the price of the equivalent stainless steel version, and although the self adjust feature is really good it could do with a half link.

However I thoroughly recommend it if you can get over the very high price...
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

The grade 5 on my Zenith is harder, in theory, than the grade 2 found on the Mido. I don't know what is used on the CW. I certaily inflict more damage wearing it to work at a desk than just about any other environment. :(
20200731_052744.jpg
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Ian Mc »

Titanium is a great hard-wearing light material, but, it does show marks.
My experience with it is that marks tend to look more like rubs than scratches and result in looking slightly lighter than the surrounding area.
In time, this diminishes a little, but I am not sure if it will blend in completely.
Time keeps on slipping into the future
NeWard
Senior
Senior

Post by NeWard »

What do you all think if I buy the 22mm bracelet in steel for the watch? Wouldn't it be cheaper and also more scratch resistance? Would the end links fit on the watch?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I would just buy the titanium one and wear it! 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Ian Mc wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:59 am Titanium is a great hard-wearing light material, but, it does show marks.
My experience with it is that marks tend to look more like rubs than scratches and result in looking slightly lighter than the surrounding area.
In time, this diminishes a little, but I am not sure if it will blend in completely.
Spot on response Ian. :clap:

Yes the titanium may mark, rather than scratch, but the marks will soften over time. Helps if you rub them with a finger or pencil eraser (bit like marks on a ceramic bezel).

NeWard wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:34 pm What do you all think if I buy the 22mm bracelet in steel for the watch? Wouldn't it be cheaper and also more scratch resistance? Would the end links fit on the watch?
Cheaper? - Yes; although CW's cost for a full Titanium bracelet is not exorbitant.

Scratch resistant? - not really, just they'll show in a different way - see comment above.

End links? - Yes, they'll fit.

Also consider; steel will be 50% heavier thereby negating one of the benefits of the lighter titanium watch.

Good probability that the colour / finish of the steel bracelet will not match the colour / finish of the titanium case.

Personally, I like titanium and bracelet where available. Extra cost, yes, but why spoil the ship for a h'penneth of tar?

Ultimately, its your call.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bahnstormer_vRS

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:40 pm I would just buy the titanium one and wear it! 8)

Good call, compared to my pontifications above.:oops:

Guy

Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Ian Mc »

Another desirable property of titanium I forgot to mention is that due to its very high strength, it can be formed into very thin walled tubing and used to increase heat exchange efficiency in steam condensers.
Quite how this relates to watches is beyond me. But we like high tech stuff as well as traditional.
Time keeps on slipping into the future
Bahnstormer_vRS

Ian Mc wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:36 pm Another desirable property of titanium I forgot to mention is that due to its very high strength, it can be formed into very thin walled tubing and used to increase heat exchange efficiency in steam condensers.
Quite how this relates to watches is beyond me. But we like high tech stuff as well as traditional.
On an organic, biological basis Titanium is very Human Body friendly.

Pure titanium and titanium-base alloys are known to be the most corrosion resistant and biocompatible of all implant materials in the body.

I speak from personal experience having two Titanium / Ceramic replacement hips. :D

Guy

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:42 pm
I speak from personal experience having two Titanium / Ceramic replacement hips. :D

Guy
I am now wondering whether the plate and screws I have are titanium or steel! :?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Bahnstormer_vRS

nbg wrote:
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:42 pm

Guy
I am now wondering whether the plate and screws I have are titanium or steel! :?

Neil
Do you trip the alarm when going through an Airport or Building security scanner?

I don't, but I believe if steel you would.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^ Ah good point Guy. Tend not to set them off - providing I remember to remove all other stuff that may set it off.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

tikkathree wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:06 am Is there a bracelet which doesn't scratch? Are you coming from unhappy experience of titanium bracelets on other brands?
My C60 Mk2 Titanium bracelet with DLC coating still looks like new. No scratches on the clasp either.

Same for my Casio Oceanus OCW-T200S with titanium carbide coating on case and bracelet is also still pristine.

CW uses grade 2 Titanium which is softer than steel. Grade 5 used by some brands is harder than steel.