Is this acceptable on a £1250 watch?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Re: Is this acceptable on a £1250 watch?

Post by Commisar »

Craig64 wrote:I bought the C60 40mm version of the Mk3 Trident. Comparing the bezel with the Mk2 version (in both 38mm and 43mm case sizes), my new Mk3 definitely has more lateral play (side to side) movement. But then Mk3 bezel has been redesigned internally so it is perhaps difficult to compare like for like.

To be honest I would have preferred less play. However in practice, the extra bit of play really causes me zero issues at all. It does not affect its functionality, I can not notice it unless I seek to feel for it when turning the bezel, and overall I prefer the new bezel over the old design, as it is smoother and easier to operate, and has applied lume.

I realise that this topic is perhaps subjective, but for my part, it certainly won't stop me buying another Trident Mk3.
This right here. Mine has essentially zero backplay. It DOES "spring" a bit if you press at 12 or 6.... I didn't even notice until I read these threads tbh. It's a function of how the bezel operates, but CW isn't going to tell us exactly how the Mk3 model works.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

Squee wrote:I bought the 42 mm Mk3 pro in red bezel variant. (I realize that the color shouldn’t matter... unless these are “batched” by color during the production process.)

Regardless, my experience is that the bezel has a bit of backplay on it — it moves a little past its ideal resting point when I rotate it one “click.” To align perfectly, I then need to turn it back clockwise slightly, until it settles into lockout position. There is no further rotational play once I put it into lockout, and only a very slight lateral play on the bezel.

Based on the video, it looks like my bezel is tighter than that of the OP. I can understand his frustration about it — I might well send it back, because of the play.

For what it’s worth, I bought the Mk 3 partly because of the improved bezel action. I also have an Aquis, and that bezel has no lateral play or back play, but it’s still inferior to the Mk 3 — the Aquis bezel is difficult to rotate, quick to jam, and has already been returned under warranty for service— supposedly it’s within their “design tolerance.” Sound familiar?
See right here. The Oris is more expensive, had a rather ridiculous integrated lug setup, yet it STILL has issues.....

Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/commen ... bly_bezel/

Look at this on a $5000 Omega....

jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

I’ve just dusted off my Mk1 Trident and there is zero lateral movement with a small amount of play on the 60 click bezel. I thought I’d check my Seiko PADI Turtle and bronze Borealis and those are spot on with no lateral movement and precise 120 click bezels, with a small amount of play. Your video sounded like the clicks were crisp and precise but the amount of movement would bug me no end.
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

jmarchitect wrote:I’ve just dusted off my Mk1 Trident and there is zero lateral movement with a small amount of play on the 60 click bezel. I thought I’d check my Seiko PADI Turtle and bronze Borealis and those are spot on with no lateral movement and precise 120 click bezels, with a small amount of play. Your video sounded like the clicks were crisp and precise but the amount of movement would bug me no end.
That's almost certainly because the way the bezel sits on the case massively changed in the Mk3. AFAIK, ceramic bezels from ALL manufacturers have to sit differently than aluminum bezels as they can crack if they are just punched onto the case like 99% of aluminum bezels are. I've even heard of ceramic bezel Rolexes having a little bit of "wobble" or up/down play in their bezels. Remember that all bezels are actually supported by Springs, they don't actually sit on the case per say.

My Padi Turtle has a misaligned chapter ring, more backplay than my Trident, and new to me it was running +30spd. Oh, and you can actually see light through the edges of the bezel between the case..... It's that far off the case at points.

A regualtion got it +10-+20 spd depending on how I wear it.

At the end of the day, if the bezel having some wobble or backplay is a deal breaker.... Return the watch. I'm not bothered by it all on mine, as it's almost imperceptible and won't hurt the functionality of my watch.

Hell, my local watchmaker, who normally does Rolex and Omega, told me it's build quality was exceptionally good for it's price. In his opinion it beat Tag and Oris.....

Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

^^^the OP originally posted this a year ago. :shock:
Steve.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I have to say when I watch for instance Jody on his JOMW reviews he will always comment on bezel back play, and he is generally reviewing relatively low priced watches. So it might be somewhat acceptable or at least not surprising on a £60 parnis or pagani, but you shouldn't see it on an expensive watch. If you have a 60 click bezel particularly you will be able to click it nearly to the next position, and let it go back, but from its resting position you shouldn't be able to move it backwards, clockwise. I think that's the thing.
redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by redmonaco »

Both my c60s (MK2 pro 600s) are solid as a rock
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

JAFO wrote:I have to say when I watch for instance Jody on his JOMW reviews he will always comment on bezel back play, and he is generally reviewing relatively low priced watches. So it might be somewhat acceptable or at least not surprising on a £60 parnis or pagani, but you shouldn't see it on an expensive watch. If you have a 60 click bezel particularly you will be able to click it nearly to the next position, and let it go back, but from its resting position you shouldn't be able to move it backwards, clockwise. I think that's the thing.
Look at Random Rob's review and Perth Watches review of the Oris Diver 65.... Talk about a WOBBLY BEZEL (for $2000 at that)

exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I'd agree with the view "if you are not happy, return it". It doesn't really matter if it is "within tolerance" or even acceptable at the price. With any mail order purchase, ask yourself - if I had walked into a store and seen/experienced this, would I still have bought it?

When the answer is "no", I think you can send it back with a clear conscience.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

StrappedUp wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:58 pm
Squee wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:52 pm.
For what it’s worth, I bought the Mk 3 partly because of the improved bezel action. I also have an Aquis, and that bezel has no lateral play or back play, but it’s still inferior to the Mk 3 — the Aquis bezel is difficult to rotate, quick to jam, and has already been returned under warranty for service— supposedly it’s within their “design tolerance.” Sound familiar?
Not wanting to go off topic, but is your Aquis an older or current model?

Have it on my 2-watch wishlist, so any feedback is great.
Hi Ryan, my current Aquis Clipperton newer model (2nd Aquis) is quite stiff with little wobble or lateral play. It does move as it should with a solid click but is not silky soft smooth. The previous older model was similar but the click/rotation was less pronounced. Both move(d) as I would expect and been happy with them.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Soporsche wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:48 pm
StrappedUp wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:58 pm
Squee wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:52 pm.
Not wanting to go off topic, but is your Aquis an older or current model?

Have it on my 2-watch wishlist, so any feedback is great.
Hi Ryan, my current Aquis Clipperton newer model (2nd Aquis) is quite stiff with little wobble or lateral play. It does move as it should with a solid click but is not silky soft smooth. The previous older model was similar but the click/rotation was less pronounced. Both move(d) as I would expect and been happy with them.
Yeh, been there and done that now :D

I had a 39.5 model. Went back to Oris and had a couple of things rectified under warranty, one being the bezel.
Bit too much play, so it was tightened. Was much better and perfectly acceptable to me, but not quite 100%.

Bezel also kept jamming when I wore it in the sea on my last hol. This despite rinsing it under the showers when getting out of the water each time.
Only freed up when it was submersed for a period in the sink once back in the room.
This was prior to warranty work, but I'd assume tightening would have made it jam quicker.

It hasn't put me off owning another as I love the aesthetics.
Ryan
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

StrappedUp wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:51 pm
I had a 39.5 model. Went back to Oris and had a couple of things rectified under warranty, one being the bezel.
Bit too much play, so it was tightened. Was much better and perfectly acceptable to me, but not quite 100%.

Bezel also kept jamming when I wore it in the sea on my last hol. This despite rinsing it under the showers when getting out of the water each time.
Only freed up when it was submersed for a period in the sink once back in the room.
Ryan, I have the same problem with my green Aquis: bezel is loose with too much play and will jam up every once in a while. I also have to submerge it in a sinkful of water to loosen it up. It isn't enough of an issue for me to send it in for warranty repair at the moment, but I probably will eventually.

Cheers!
Best regards,
John
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Bident wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:43 pm Ryan, I have the same problem with my green Aquis: bezel is loose with too much play and will jam up every once in a while. I also have to submerge it in a sinkful of water to loosen it up. It isn't enough of an issue for me to send it in for warranty repair at the moment, but I probably will eventually.

Cheers!
From what I gather, it's a relatively common issue with the 39.5 model.
Have no idea why because the larger models appear pretty solid given that there are less reports of bezel issues and a much higher production output.
Ryan
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

StrappedUp wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:53 pm
Bident wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:43 pm Ryan, I have the same problem with my green Aquis: bezel is loose with too much play and will jam up every once in a while. I also have to submerge it in a sinkful of water to loosen it up. It isn't enough of an issue for me to send it in for warranty repair at the moment, but I probably will eventually.

Cheers!
From what I gather, it's a relatively common issue with the 39.5 model.
Have no idea why because the larger models appear pretty solid given that there are less reports of bezel issues and a much higher production output.
Yep both mine were larger model and perfectly ok as per above, no wobble or lateral movement (although not a buttery smooth action) 😊
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands