Not a Fan of DHL

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Not a Fan of DHL

Post by jkbarnes »

I’m posting this to General Discussion under Christopher Ward because DHL is CW’s international shipper.

While I’ve been more than satisfied with CW’s handling of my return of my recent purchase, their international shipper, DHL, leaves me completely underwhelmed.

Issue #1
When the watch was initially delivered, the driver came to the door with NO MASK on. In the current environment, that’s completely unacceptable. It was also interesting that he was making deliveries in a Honda Civic, as opposed to a DHL delivery van.

Issue #2
The driver picking up my watch for return was almost THREE HOURS late in picking up the watch. I scheduled a pretty broad window from 2:00-5:00pm. He showed up at almost 8:00pm. In his defense, we had wicked thunderstorms move through the area, and he did call at 4:30 to say he’d be an hour late because of the weather, but there were no follow ups as he blew through that hour.

Issue #3
He wasn’t wearing a mask either. (See issue #1)

I, by no means, hold CW responsible for the actions of the carrier. But should I at least relay my experience with DHL to Christopher Ward?
Drew
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Re: Not a Fan of DHL

Post by RichM »

3 hours is pretty late! I wonder if he's new to the role having lost his job elsewhere because of coronavirus. I've read airline pilots have been taking delivery jobs in lockdown.

I did multi-drop parcel delivery once having been made redundant elsewhere and it was really hard work and high pressure for minimum wage. I have a lot more sympathy for delivery as a result.

If you don't know the local area so well it's really difficult to find some houses/businesses and that quickly adds to lateness.

I've found delivery drivers knock and then stand well back and haven't worn a face covering. I wonder what DHL's policy is.

Is there a follow up feedback form from CW, maybe worth commenting there.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Here in UK none of the Delivery Drivers, or our Posties wear marks, as they rely on non contact delivery, generally placing the item on the door step and stepping back whilst you collect it.

What are the guidelines / regulations in your State, as they vary?

As to the Honda Civic. If I recall from previous comments on here, in the US DHL do not have dedicated, liveried staff in many areas, relying instead on local agents who may well be self-employed.

Again, here in UK, many of the delivery drivers I see who usually have liveried vans are currently using plain ones probably due to the increase in business since lockdown.

Three hours late? It happens and not the end of the world. Yes, you only got one phone call. To have received other calls may well have made your driver later for your, and all his other, deliveries. Place to mention is the DHL online review.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:34 am Here in UK none of the Delivery Drivers, or our Posties wear marks, as they rely on non contact delivery, generally placing the item on the door step and stepping back whilst you collect it.

What are the guidelines / regulations in your State, as they vary?

As to the Honda Civic. If I recall from previous comments on here, in the US DHL do not have dedicated, liveried staff in many areas, relying instead on local agents who may well be self-employed.

Again, here in UK, many of the delivery drivers I see who usually have liveried vans are currently using plain ones probably due to the increase in business since lockdown.

Three hours late? It happens and not the end of the world. Yes, you only got one phone call. To have received other calls may well have made your driver later for your, and all his other, deliveries. Place to mention is the DHL online review.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
Guy, you read my mind!

The watchword here is forbearance. I’ve relaxed my usual high standards a little over the last few months, reserving my ire for when it really matters or there is really no excuse.

For example:
- Takeaway arrives two ours late - $41t happens, stay calm and have another beer.
- VW take a monthly payment three weeks after the agreement is settled, stay calm and call them.
- VW have an answerphone message saying “We can’t take your call, please don’t call back” - They get it both barrels.

I’d put the DHL thing in the more beer category!
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

^^^ Well put (so long as they aren't delivering the beer as well).

Actually, he did well to get there at all, many drivers would have given up that collection and re-scheduled for another day.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

I'm not overly impressed with DHL but they're better than a good number of carriers.

My experience with DHL/CW wasn't a good one.

My C65 SH21 bronze was due back from repair and CW wouldn't let me collect it from Park Street (less than ten minute walk away). They instead sent it out with DHL without telling me and I got information of its actual delivery whilst I was at work in the morning. I got home to find my watch on the doorstep, where it had been for 6 hours+. That's quite a lot of watch to just leave lying around without a care. This was pre Covid.
Bahnstormer_vRS

Bungle-ator wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:24 am I'm not overly impressed with DHL but they're better than a good number of carriers.

My C65 SH21 bronze was due back from repair and CW wouldn't let me collect it from Park Street (less than ten minute walk away). They instead sent it out with DHL without telling me and I got information of its actual delivery whilst I was at work in the morning. I got home to find my watch on the doorstep, where it had been for 6 hours+. That's quite a lot of watch to just leave lying around without a care. This was pre Covid.
DHL delivery in UK? That's an odd one.

DHL is usually for International deliveries.

In UK, CW use DPD for watches, who I find excellent with their one hour delivery slot, with Royal Mail for Straps etc.

Guy

Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:42 am
Bungle-ator wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:24 am I'm not overly impressed with DHL but they're better than a good number of carriers.

In UK, CW use DPD for watches, who I find excellent with their one hour delivery slot, with Royal Mail for Straps etc.

Guy
It very well may have been DPD then. Quite happy to be corrected :thumbup:
Bahnstormer_vRS

Bungle-ator wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:24 am

Guy
Thank you. :thumbup: :D

Guy

Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:26 am

Guy
They certainly gave an hour's delivery slot. I just wasn't expecting anything(nevermind my watch).

I was also 6 hours away in Plymouth when it was "delivered". I'm usually happy enough for things to be left by the front door but not a watch that cost me upwards of £1500.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I don't know if it's only DPD, who have the tracking that shows you exactly where the driver is, but it's a really good system.much better than just getting a date.
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by monkeymax »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:26 am
Bungle-ator wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:24 am

Guy

Guy
I've just had a returns authorised by CW with a pick up due from DHL. So they're using DHL for UK returns too now, it seems.
(Although in the end there was a bit of a mix up not helped with me owning a printer, so I've sent it with Royal Mail Special Delivery)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Just had my new Mkiii Trident delivered 30 mins ago by DPD, within their 1 hr slot.

Driver didn’t have mask. However, he kept his distance, put parcel on floor inside front door and took photo. No signature required.

A good system in these strange times.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

Never had a problem with DHL. Dan our delivery driver always arrives within his two hour slot, places the parcel on the door step and knocks the door, steps back and waits for one of us to open then he takes a picture and goes on his happy way!
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

RichM wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:34 am ... it was really hard work and high pressure for minimum wage. I have a lot more sympathy for delivery as a result..
That’s a good point I hadn’t considered.
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:34 am What are the guidelines / regulations in your State, as they vary?
Virginia requires a mask of everyone. While the gentlemen collecting the package maintained distance, the one dropping it off initially did not. He was right up in my face. I was wearing a mask.
Macdaz wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:25 am The watchword here is forbearance. I’ve relaxed my usual high standards a little over the last few months, reserving my ire for when it really matters or there is really no excuse.
In general, I agree with you on this. As soon as the rain hit with the ferocity it did, I knew there would be delays. When he called he called to say he’d be late, I wasn’t bothered at all. Even when he was initially running late on running late, I wasn’t terribly upset. But when it hit three hours....that’s pushing it! In his defense, he was very apologetic when he got here, which I appreciated.

My general response to situations like this is one of empathy. But recently I’ve noticed how increasingly empathetic I find myself having to be, even taking into account the current pandemic. It’s caused me to start wondering where one draws the line between empathy & understanding versus just poor service. Without trying to sound like a crotchety old man, it sometimes seems as if standards are declining across a great many areas. #getoffmylawn :curse:
Drew