Keeping Company with Some Big Brands!

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Keeping Company with Some Big Brands!

Post by jkbarnes »

Just came across this piece on Worn & Wound about sleeper watches. Christopher Ward is in good company on this list!

Of Christopher Ward, they had this to say:
“In a relatively short amount of the time, the brand has grown considerably and has not only established a unique design language of their own, but is making their own movements with some pretty innovative features. The SH21 caliber, introduced in 2014, is in many ways the pinnacle of the reinvented Christopher Ward.”
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Keeping Company with Some Big Brands!

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Interesting comments.

Although how can the launch of the SH21 in 2014 be the pinnacle of the reinvented Christopher Ward when the brand was only launched totally new, no phoenix resurrection, in 2005?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I think some of these watch reviewers and bloggers have also developed a unique language of their own. It’s called Cobblers. Mind you, I guess it keeps them in a job.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:09 am I think some of these watch reviewers and bloggers have also developed a unique language of their own. It’s called Cobblers. Mind you, I guess it keeps them in a job.
Agreed, but it's not only watch reviewers, try hi-fi reviews for a start but there are many others just as guilty....
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Try this from Watchtime... Nice set of interviews with Bremont, CW and Farer
https://www.watchtime.com/featured/the- ... tchmaking/
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

H0rati0 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:16 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:09 am I think some of these watch reviewers and bloggers have also developed a unique language of their own. It’s called Cobblers. Mind you, I guess it keeps them in a job.
Agreed, but it's not only watch reviewers, try hi-fi reviews for a start but there are many others just as guilty....
The very epitome of subjectivism.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Camera reviews and car reviews are users of the "cobblers" dialect too.
Mark
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Can someone explain the cobblers reference? I don’t understand it.

And criticism of the author aside, I just thought it was nice to see CW getting some good press with the brand being mentioned along side other more prominent brands.
Drew
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

The "cobblers" reference explained (hopefully).
Sorry jkbarnes, it seems you have been a victim of English slang. The dictionary definition of cobblers would refer to the plural of a man who makes shoes. In English slang it now means rubbish, er nonsense. So talking cobblers would be talking nonsense. I have to be careful here not to talk about trash as trash talking has quite a different meaning.
I actually looked this up in the urban dictionary and their definition is that this derives from cockney rhyming slang for cobblers awls = balls. I was unfamiliar with this definition as I'm not a cockney (from certain part of London).
In this context I think the safest interpretation is that when someone is talking cobblers it is best to think of this meaning "talking crap" or talking nonsense".
Hope this helps.
P.S. - Even though I've lived in the US for twenty years I still find that I use words or phrases that mean nothing to my US friends, colleagues and in-laws.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... rch-action
Mark
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

albionphoto wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:03 pm The "cobblers" reference explained (hopefully).
Sorry jkbarnes, it seems you have been a victim of English slang. The dictionary definition of cobblers would refer to the plural of a man who makes shoes. In English slang it now means rubbish, er nonsense. So talking cobblers would be talking nonsense. I have to be careful here not to talk about trash as trash talking has quite a different meaning.
I actually looked this up in the urban dictionary and their definition is that this derives from cockney rhyming slang for cobblers awls = balls. I was unfamiliar with this definition as I'm not a cockney (from certain part of London).
In this context I think the safest interpretation is that when someone is talking cobblers it is best to think of this meaning "talking crap" or talking nonsense".
Hope this helps.
P.S. - Even though I've lived in the US for twenty years I still find that I use words or phrases that mean nothing to my US friends, colleagues and in-laws.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... rch-action
It does help, thanks! And I also got a private message explaining it for me. I love the slang I’m picking up on the forum.
Drew
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mark
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

The thing is big brands spend so much maintaining their position as "big" brands. Christopher ward sell well designed watches at sensible prices. They just aren't as fashionable or expensive as the "big", which suits many of us.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JAFO wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:53 pm The thing is big brands spend so much maintaining their position as "big" brands. Christopher ward sell well designed watches at sensible prices. They just aren't as fashionable or expensive as the "big", which suits many of us.
...making them sleepers!
Drew
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

Further to the "Cockney" word, and being someone from a certain part of London.... most of us in the UK will refer to anyone without a "posh" accent from London as a "Cockney" (and if you don't like them .... "A Cockney ****" :) )

However I believe a real "Cockney" is someone who was born within the hearing of "Bow Bells" a church in London
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jimbo wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:38 am However I believe a real "Cockney" is someone who was born within the hearing of "Bow Bells" a church in London
Technically, I believe that is correct. Interesting that you use the term Cockney ****. I was expecting to see Cockney ****. Probably too much Viz in the 1990s. :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)