Trident GMT running slower and slower

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
lazaruscomeout

Trident GMT running slower and slower

Post by lazaruscomeout »

Hello all. I bought a new C60 Trident GMT 600 in early March. When I received the watch it was running about +6 seconds per day. Since then it has slowed down more and more to the point where it now runs -24 seconds per day, and it shows no signs of settling in.

I will be sending it in to CW for repair/regulation once they are completely back up and running. My concern is that they will simply regulate it and not do anything to fix the underlying issue.

Does anybody know what would cause a watch to continue slowing down over the course of several months?

If I provide a full description of the problem, how likely is it that they will actually fix the underlying issue?
Melvin Tanks

Re: Trident GMT running slower and slower

Post by Melvin Tanks »

My C60 gmt is slow too, by about 20s/day. Just got it new and running for about 2 weeks but with no sign of improvement.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Have you checked to see if your watch is magnetized? Normally that would cause the watch too run fast but occasionally it can also make it run slow.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Henryj
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Henryj »

Same here. I got my C60 Trident GMT on June 8. The first couple of days it ran at +2 spd. Now, it's slowed down to an inconsistent -8 to -25 spd which varies from day to day. I've contacted CW about a return, but no response yet.
The gods may note every sparrow that falls, but they make no effort to catch them.
lazaruscomeout

Post by lazaruscomeout »

Thegreyman wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:40 pm Have you checked to see if your watch is magnetized? Normally that would cause the watch too run fast but occasionally it can also make it run slow.
That was the first thing I checked. It was slightly magnetized, but it didn't improve after demagnetizing.
samr928

Post by samr928 »

Odd,

I two have this same issue on a couple month old c60 GMT. I tried demag-ing to no avail. The response I got from them once it fell out of spec is clearly something is wrong but shop is closed. disappointing

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

panos
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by panos »

same here, have had a blue GMT for 2 months which is running persistently about 30 secs slow per day requiring regular time setting as a result.

I too am waiting for the service department to be reopened. So far the responses I have received suggest they will charge me for the movement regulation. But I thought since it is new and out of spec it should be included in the warranty - has anyone got the job accepted under warranty?

Looking at the above posts it seems we all got them 2-3 months ago, perhaps a bad batch of movements?
Henryj
Junior
Junior

Post by Henryj »

panos wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:58 pm same here, have had a blue GMT for 2 months which is running persistently about 30 secs slow per day requiring regular time setting as a result.

I too am waiting for the service department to be reopened. So far the responses I have received suggest they will charge me for the movement regulation. But I thought since it is new and out of spec it should be included in the warranty - has anyone got the job accepted under warranty?

Looking at the above posts it seems we all got them 2-3 months ago, perhaps a bad batch of movements?
Interesting. I’m thinking you may be right about a bad batch. I haven’t yet heard back from CW after contacting them last Friday. At this point I’ll be asking for a return (60/60) instead of a repair or exchange.
The gods may note every sparrow that falls, but they make no effort to catch them.
SonnyUte

Post by SonnyUte »

I am having the same issue. As you can see from the WatchTracker data I have included, this happened suddenly. For this reason, I suspected that the watch may have become magnetized, but it has not improved after demagnetization. I am in the US. I love the look of the watch, and was very please with its performance initially, so I hope that the problem can be addressed. I have 4 CW watches, and this is the first one with any trouble. I will follow the experiences of the community with interest and appreciate any suggestions.
FCAE8344-6480-4201-A4F2-AA986CEA22D3.png
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Are you sure the watch has been in a similar state of power throughout- ie either worn everyday for an auto or wound at the same point every day for a hand-wind? The rate can vary enormously depending on the power reserve.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Henryj
Junior
Junior

Post by Henryj »

richtel wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:27 pm Are you sure the watch has been in a similar state of power throughout- ie either worn everyday for an auto or wound at the same point every day for a hand-wind? The rate can vary enormously depending on the power reserve.
I can’t speak for the others, but yes on mine. Regular wear, this was going to be my daily driver when I bought it.
BigMitch

Post by BigMitch »

My Trident C60 GMT Blue face was loosing 1 minute per day consistently since day one, it was a Christmas present. CW have been very good and sorted out the return (Covid slowed up things) which went back for investigation about 2-3 weeks ago, they have communicated with me since and said that the watch will be repaired free of charge under warranty.

It does sound like an issue with quality control etc, but cant fault them on customer service, hopefully all will be sorted soon enough.

Mitch
BLR1
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by BLR1 »

I bought a black 40mm GMT in mid April. It kept great time for a day or two but then quickly devolved to -20 seconds a day or more. Kept playing with angles and testing for a week or two but no improvement, and it ultimately settled in around -24 secs per day.

Since I liked the watch, I’m in the U.S. and didn’t want to wait for CW repairs to open back up (or to deal with waiting and shipping it back over the pond), I ended up taking it to my watch guy to regulate. Bummer that it probably ruins the warranty, but I found paying him $75 to fix it a better deal than waiting months for CW to do it.

For what it’s worth, my watch guy didn’t find any issues with the movement, and it’s now running about -4 to -6 secs per day depending on what I do that do when I’m wearing it (I sit at a desk all day). Probably could have waited longer before regulating, or it might run even better, but I’m too freaking impatient.
Zax
Junior
Junior

Post by Zax »

Wow, -60 sec is a lot! I guess I’m lucky. Both of the used Tridents I have are pretty accurate. Just picked up a C61 yesterday and it’s about +5 after 24 hrs, and my MK3 C60 is probably +1 sec a day. Hope your situation gets resolved! I rather be running fast than slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KevinB
Senior
Senior

Post by KevinB »

lazaruscomeout wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:03 am Since then it has slowed down more and more to the point where it now runs -24 seconds per day, and it shows no signs of settling in.
Mine runs about 10-20 seconds slow per day. I had the mis-aligned GMT hand and it went back for service and they regulated while with them, but it still runs slow. I've said it before, but I'm a right-wrist wearer and so my watch spends a ton of time crown-up. Could be it runs slow in that position, but I just live with it and set it every few days when I'm wearing it traveling.