Constance is failing apart.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Nick in Montgomery
CW-watches: 6

Constance is failing apart.

Post by Nick in Montgomery »

I bought my wife a CW R30 ladies watch some five plus years ago and she has loved it to bits, literally! This is my wife's everyday watch and it has had a fair degree to wear and some rough handling.

Currently CW's repair service is suspended because of the great virus debacle and so I've had to make a temporary adjustment as seen below. Has anyone else had this problem with their CW R30 ladies watch and will CW be able to repair it eventually?

The problem was that the face decoration became detached, slipped, jammed the hands and stopped the watch. As an emergency measure I removed the watch back plate and battery, then manged to slide out the dislodged meta decoration. The watch is now working fine again but I would like to have it repaired when life returns to normal. Is a cost effective repair possible?

Thanks,

Nick
Constance.jpg
Stock photo
MX015454_01.jpg
Constance broken
Time passing needs watching!
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Constance is failing apart.

Post by TigerChris »

You might find this thread of use from not long back :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?p=813800#p813800
Nick in Montgomery

TigerChris wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:38 pm You might find this thread of use from not long back :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?p=813800#p813800
Thank's TigerChris, that is a great help. :D

I have no doubt there is going to be a huge repair backlog at CW when this "pause" is over so I might have a look myself, especially if the repair cost is going to be similar to the current PSBR.

I might investigate the world of glue before I have a go.

Nick
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Just be mindful that the decoration is a) springy and coiled to fly! b) easily marked. Someone suggested using bluetac to apply rather than holding with tweezers. Good luck, if you plan to have a go.
Steve.
Nick in Montgomery

Thermexman wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:23 pm Just be mindful that the decoration is a) springy and coiled to fly! b) easily marked. Someone suggested using bluetac to apply rather than holding with tweezers. Good luck, if you plan to have a go.
Thanks for that but I have been banned from attempting a repair! With the wandering decoration removed my wife is happy to use her watch as is temporarily and has decreed that she "wants the repair done properly". Apart from the implication that I am an incompetent I am delighted that Jane is so fond of a watch I gave her that she is wiling to pay above it's market value to have it repaired. So when the contagion chaos has passed and CW are open again I will return the Constance and have it (her) repaired and serviced.

Nick
redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by redmonaco »

I think it looks better now than before!!
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

^^^ I thought the same at first, but upon closer inspection, you can see residue left over from the adhesive used.
Ryan
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

Glad to see the Constance is going to be repaired! Just a couple of points; the repair time is likely to be long (I'm also hopefully on their list of people to contact when the repair facility opens again and the turn-around time isn't always that fast) and historically they've offered a new dial (if they have one - even if it's a slightly different design) rather than a repair. Be very specific when you send it in that you want this one fixed. Alternatively a good watch repairer could possibly do this fix for you - it doesn't necessarily have to go back to CW. Not a job for your local Timpsons but there are some very good watch repairers that are not associated with any specific brand who may be able to help.
Good luck whichever route you go! :)
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by oberonfoto »

This is quite worrying - quite a few of these seem to have this problem and if the glue they use is drying out and failing after 5/6-years it’s not really good enough. I got the wife’s watch in just before lock down and they got it back to me after about 10-weeks, different watch but same Serial No.
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

My wife’s went in and was repaired for free but it came off again within a short period. Decided it wasn’t worth the hassle of sending it back so had a go myself. If I hadn’t, it’d still be sat in a drawer.
Steve.