To Wind Watch or Watch Winder

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Re: To Wind Watch or Watch Winder

Post by Foxman50 »

Apologies for resurrecting this post, however today i believe i found a valid reason for a watch winder.

So this morning i put on my watch, which was dead, and the time was 11:20. Now the rules state that you should not adjust the time/date when the watch is between 20:00 and 02:00 due to the clutch being engaged. therefore if my watch is at 11:20 i do not know if this is 11:20 or 23:20, in which case i have to wait until it gets to 02:00 or 14:00 before adjusting.

This seems extremely inconvenient, and how would i know which cycle of the 12hr i am on. Am i missing something.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

You establish this when you set the watch.

1. Set time to 6 o'clock - am or pm is irrelevant. Choose 6 because it's in a completely safe zone.

2. Set the date to YESTERDAY!

3. Advance the hour hand through 12. If the date clicks over you are now on 0000-1200, if it doesn't you need to go round again.

4. Once it clicks over adjust to the correct time, which means if it's afternoon you need to go through midday again.

Hope that's clear.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Post by Foxman50 »

Avo, sorry just reread the manual for the 10th time, after seeing your post, and it says date not time. i read this as time, i did think that a little strange. Thanks for clearing that up, Now only decision to make today is do i go for the 42mm Trident pro 600 or the Elite 1000 and take advantage of today's 15% off.

PLEASE NOTE:
Date correction should not be carried out between 20.00 hr and 02.00 hr as the watch gearing will already be aligning itself to change the date.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

No problem - happy to help. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I saw a good video about winders, but I can't remember who. Anyway, they reckoned winders needed to be programmable so they circulated both ways and in different orientations etc, to ensure that they couldn't contaminate the inside of the watch in a repetitive pattern, sort of a constant spray of oil nano-particles. The general feeling was that it was better to give them all a wind once a month, say, rather than have them running permanently. People like producer Michael, and the London watch collector leave their (very expensive collections of) watches in cases, unwound. Shops leave watches unwound. On balance, I think a winder is unnecessary, unless maybe you have a perpetual calendar, or a moonphase that goes out of synch if it's not running. Just my thoughts. I bought an inexpensive winder, but I don't use it to be honest.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Just to add another comment. I just got a link to a video " watch winder ignorance," by Peter Kotsa. I don't think I would use a winder after watching this video. I don't know how to post a link. Sorry.
Zax
Junior
Junior

Post by Zax »

I’ve got one that holds two. I keep a retrograde on it along with a diver. My others are hand wound every night (I only have a few watches). The only one I don’t really touch is my Orient Star Open Heart. No date complication, so doesn’t really matter if it dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Post by Foxman50 »

I’m not sure a valid comparison is an engine running at 3000 or 4000 rpm 24/7 and a watch